I have a friend who uses crack for many years now. She has a boyfriend all that time, so I asked her what birth control protections she uses. She told me they want to have a baby, which surprised me a lot. I could not believe she could be so stupid to take crack and want pregnancy. Can you explain now for me and for her, how does crack affect pregnant woman and her baby?

The rise in crack use and appearance of crack cocaine spurred fears about its effects on developing fetus. Crack use during pregnancy is certainly inadvisable, yet many of the initial reports cited dangers. Later studies do not support, but still it has caused more harm than good. Many reports and researches have suggested that prenatal crack use can lead to an array of fetal, newborn and child development problems. Reported problems associated with crack use during pregnancy included increased exposure to sexually transmitted diseases, maternal weight loss, and nutritional deficits. Common problems occur as poly-drug use, premature detachment of the placenta, premature birth and low birth weight. Crack and pregnancy is causing reductions in newborn body length and head circumference, and rare birth defects including genito-urinary tract malformations. It is proven that crack-exposed children often report them to be indistinguishable from other children. Some early studies even suggested a fetal cocaine withdrawal syndrome, which is definitely not something that any mother should make to her unborn baby.

I have a friend that used crack during her pregnancy her baby died inside her 3 moths before it was due so she had to deliver a dead baby, the doctor gave her meds to induce labor so she could deliver the baby.