I planning on the mid foot fusion of the 1st and second joint to eliminate foot pain. This is a big deal for several reasons. Off work for 8-12 weeks. It will cost a lot of money.Will it be better or worse?

I work 12 hour shifts on concrete. By the end of the day im walking on my heels to minimize the pain. Its getting worse.

Looking for some feedback from anyone that has had the simular surgery. Thank You.

Hello. I just had a mid foot fusion on the 2nd tarsal on February 10 2014.  Bone graft was used and then a plate (possibly screws he did not confirm) to secure the joint.  I am to remain NWB for 8 weeks then partial WB for further 8. I also have a bunionectomy.  

The problem will be swelling. Evidently it can be upto 6 months.  However you can consider a knee scotter to get around.  I am nearly 4 weeks post up using crutches.  I can barely tolerate 20 minutes without my foot elevated.  After that it turns purple and feels like it will burst.  I am told this is normal.  Mine is complicated because I had 2 things done to the foot so mone might take longer.  

You should ask the physician what he thinks. I would think a 12 hour shift is not doable.

I didn't really answer your question. I had my op done because I could no longer do the things I liked to do, long walks, hikes, and field run. If I did do them, the next day my foot would be swollen and very uncomfortable. It was tolerable, but it meant that it was only going to get worse and possible tear the ligaments that were the only thing holding the joint together. My joint had dislocated as result of bone degeneration. But I wasn't in pain.

I should mention that I first had a cortisone shot in the joint. Painful, but after 3 weeks it did reduce the swelling just didn't resolve the dislocation. I also had two courses of acupuncture. Again those sessions were painful (it was the "balance harmony" type) maybe reduced some of the discomfort, but not all. If you not had the cortisone shot, I would give that a try first. Just remember, that can take up to a few months to have an effect, and for 2 days after the shot it is extremely painful. You will need an aircast if you plan on returning to work in the first couple of days following the shot (or wear really sturdy leather walking boots with a firm sole).

I also tried wearing orthotics. Didn't really resolve the issue, my foot was going to remain dislocated and just get worse.

I am in loads of pain now, but it has only been 27 days post op. I would not have done this surgery if I could not return to my running and hiking. I told my surgeon that. I am told it is a very long recovery.

You should discuss with the physician and explore with the NHS the other conservative options first, if you haven't already. Give them some time to see if they have an effect. Once you do the foot fusion, there is no going back. It is considered a "savage" treatment in medical terms.

Hope that helps

Thanks for your reply. I am looking for a long term fix. My surgery is screws only and caused from cartilage wear. I tried a few other things. Cortisone shots and orthotics. I feel I need to do it now. Im in my 50s with along ways to go yet. I heard 6 months to get to no pain. Im sure it will be a tough road.

hi, i had medfoot fusion 4 weeks ago, the operation was fine, in and out same day. no pain after what so ever, i have been told not to WB but in my line of work this is impossible. I have started walking small distances in the boot.. the boot is so padded you just want to walk in it.. I agree with previous post that it does swell and bruise really easy. but this is due to blood thinning injections too i think. I was expecting pain but with ice and putting foot up swelling goes. I was non WB for first 2 weeks with pot on, but get bored easily so am now walking on and off crutches.. i will let you know if this is a mistake if foot doesent fuse.. but scare is healing.. i did split my stiches open.. ( doing too much) but a day off my feet and I was fine, doing 4-5 hours painting

That is very nice to here. I had my surgery today. Had a pain block, so I am not sure what to expect. I hope its the same as yours. I am not much for the sitting. Bored after first day. Was able to scoot down stairs to basement where I have more to do. I plan to do some painting down there also. I am happy to hear from you and hope you have a full recovery.

How are u doing now? I get stitches out tomorrow, not even sure how many I have. They it wrapped pretty heavy duty. Hope I get a boot. I have very little pain since the third day. I have some tingling if I have it down to long. I did get a knee scooter. I was using a office chair mostly before that. Crutches are a hazard. I will take the 200 dollar hit and hope I can re sell the scooter.