I had a Lisfranc fracture and now have arthritis with pain in the mid foot. I am 53 female of average weight. Has anyone had a fusion and did it help the pain.
On a scale of 1-10 how are your results. There is very little that addresses this. Thank you all. 8-|

Once the surgery and healing are done from a fusion foot surgery it is a world of difference. I had bad arthitis in my foot from my lisfranc repair that one year later I went back and had it fused. Walking on that foot after fusion is a bit different at first since that joint no longer moves but that is something you can get use to. I am so glad I had it done.

Glad to hear this. I'm about to have a fusion done. 18 months out from repair and still in pain. I'm very nervous, but being only 35, I feel like I don't have much choice.

If all goes well you will be glad you had it done.

As I mentioned earlier there will be some adjustment to walking on a fused foot, however once fully healed you should not have any of the kind of pain you are having now.

I had a fusion on my foot 3 mths ago. I was in cast for 6 weeks and moonboot for another 6 weeks. I have a week to go before I go back to see my surgeon. I am really nervous about not having the boot cause I still can't put weight down on my foot without pain. Is this because I haven't used my foot now for 3 mths, so do I just need really good physio? Or hasn't the fusion worked?

The pain you are feeling is normal at that time period. Even when you begin to walk on that foot again it will still hurt. As a few months progress the pain will lessen from the surgery and from the bone grafting. Also since you have been off that foot for that long the bones need to get use to weight being applied to them again, as well as getting all the remaining joints to move again. However over time the pain will not be in the area of the fusion any longer because there is no more moving of that joint and any possible arthitis pain that could have been there will be gone as well.

Things will get better but unfortunately it will take some more time to get there.

I had a lisfranc injury back in Jan 07 and had surgery at that time, I had alot of pain and then in Aug 07 my doctor removed the screw from my foot, since then I have been in so much pain and the swelling is unbelieveable. I went to the doctor yesterday and they said that I would have to have the bones fused together to stop the pain and swelling.

I am very scared and nervous, does anyone have any advice on what to expect or even if I should have this done? Will it help or make it worse?

It sounds to me that fusion over the long run would make things better for you.

As for what to expect, for the most part what they will do is rebreak the joints you have had problems with, clean out all the damaged joint area and then graft (glue) the bones together with some kind of bone grafting materal. They most likely will also put a couple of screws in your foot to hold this all together while the graft/fusion takes hold. In my case they left the 4 screws in my foot since they are no longer doing anything. I could always have them taken out later if I wish. You will once again have to go through the whole non-weight baring thing again for several months. When you first start to walk on that foot it still will hurt from the surgery and you will have to get use to not havingyour foot bend in the middle area. Your ankle will pick up onse of that motion. In time as your foot heals the pain will lessen from the surgery. It has been about a year and a half for me now since I had the fusion done and I have no pain in my foot anymore. I am glad I did it because I could only take about 1 year of that pain after the first lis franc "repair". So if your pain from your first lis franc repair also gets unbearable I would look into getting the fusion done. I am sure your doctor will then go into more details on the procedure they may use.

Thank you for that response...I am schedulded for surgery on Dec 10th, So I am going to go ahead and have the fusion done. The doctor told me that I would be non weight bearing for 6 weeks then go to wearing the walking boot. I really hope he is right on that because my daughter does competition cheerleading and I want to be able to go to her next on on Jan 25th. I hate that my kids suffer because I was hurt.

I really just want the pain to stop and the swelling to go away, I am young (33) and want to be able to walk a mall again all day shopping without having to stop becuase my foot is hurting. I want to be able to wear my high heels and sandels again. I hope in having this done that in time I will be able to do all the things that I could once due before my injury and what makes this even worse is that the injury was due to someone (my dad) pushing me off the curb...I just feel like some of my freedom was takin away from me becuase I was tring to help help him get help for his alcoholism and in doing that, I ended up hurt.

I am having my fusion surgery next Thursday. I fell last week end. This is to give my swelling to to go down some. Doc said he wants to fusion it right away since that is the best.

John

I wish you luck with your surgery next week...Please log on here and let me know how it goes....I would really like to know

good luck and you are in my prayers

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post. I had a lisfranc injury that was surgically repaired via a fusion with bone graft. I am a 35 year old male and did a lot of research on fusion vs. open reduction internal fixation. From the research I did, it made the most sense to go directly for the fusion. I had bone taken from my knee area and it was used to fuse my 1st and 2nd tarsal/metatarsal joints. I was completely off of my feet for two weeks, got the hard cast removed on the 30th of Dec. I'll be non-weight bearing for another 6 weeks. I've been back to work for the last few days and the pain hasn't been too bad. I've been taking extra strength Tylenol a few times a day to deal with the pain. My foot is still swollen and it tends to hurt the most in the morning. I have 2 screws and 3 pins in my foot and one screw will most likely be removed at some point. My biggest fear at this point is that the bone won't fuse properly.

Has anyone been cautioned by their surgeon that having mid foot fusion will probably mean more surgeries in the future due to other parts of the foot compensating for the part that no longer moves?

I had a lisfranc injury and had my foot fused back on december 10, 2008. I was 6 weeks non weight bearing and 2 weeks ago I went a got a walking boot that I have to wear each time I am up and walking. The fusion has helped the pain so much and I am happy that I got it done.

Like you, my foot hurts mostly in the mornings and still swells quite a bit but I am told that will go away with time.

Hi guys,

Quick recap. Fell 20 feet off the ladder on 3/23/08. Yes I said 20 feet. Had ORIF on 4/01/08. did the whole 12 weeks NWB then the boot and all the PT one could ever ask for.. The fix did not take well ( my surgen was just a plain old Ortho and not a foot/ankle ortho specialist). Anyway the pain was unbearable, so I had fusion of my first 2 mets. and cuneiforms on 12/29/08. My foot was also straightened out due to the lisfranc ligament not holding tight.
I get to bear wt. next week, but I can allready tell that things are much better. Cast off on 2/24/08 then boot for a few more weeks.
My hope is for a pain free existance on my feet with being able to do some sports here an there. I was told by my new surgen that the midfoot is very imobile to begin with and that future surgeries should not be in my destiny. Time will tell. I'll keep you all updated.
P.S. I am 35 years young , and in great shape. I have been shot at an had missles fired at me over Iraq and Afgan. Landed fighters at 2+G forces on carriers, but nothing has come close to the pain and suffering I was going thru with the lisfranc injury. I hope we all ca get the pain free outcome we deserve. Special shout out and thanx to " FUSION" for the top notch info.