On June 18th, I was mounting my horse and he decided he didnt want me on and bucked me off. I landed full body weight onto my left ankle. After I recovered in the field from the initial pain, I whipped my boot and sock off. Got myself to the urgent care clinic where they offered me no ice, thankfully I elevated it. They xrayed and said they could see no breaks and that I could go home and use the RICE method, I got my own set of crutches) Two days later, the clinic calls me back to tell me that the radiologist had a look and noted two lizfranc fractures in my metatarsal bones (2nd and 4th) and that they had booked me an appt at the fracture clinic for the following week. I got nervous and wondered why I needed to wait that long and what I was supposed to be doing in the meantime?? I called a medical inquiry service where the nurse told me to go to my local emergency department and have them splint it for me. I just had my appt with the fracture clinic today (only 8 days after the accident) and the doc told me i would be in an aircast boot (no weight bearing) for the next three months. I nearly died when he told me that, my summer is screwed and I told him about my planned camping trips in my RV and he said he wouldn't take the chance. I decided I am still going but will be very cautious. He said I didn't need surgery at this point but he would re-x-ray me in three weeks and see how it was healing. I got home and cried for three hours straight. :'(

Just got back from seeing my ortho surgeon and he re-xrayed me and said the fracture is healing very nicely (only after one month) and this is exactly what he wants to continue seeing. He will see me again in one month (August 13th) and we re-xray again and if it is still looking good, he may allow partial weight bearing to begin. He said that surgery would not be good and that it doesn't appear severe enough to do a surgery because of the positive healing that is already occurring. He said if I had to have surgery, it would mean opening up my whole foot and fusing the bones back together which he guaranteed me that I would end up with arthritis!!

So, I am just going to continue following his healing regimen to the letter in hopes that in another month, I can start putting some weight on it. :-D

XD
Saw my good doctor again and he did another x-ray....all was healing well according to the x-ray. Doc still trying to hold off on doing any surgery as he guaranteed me I would have severe arthritis after a year if I had the surgery. He told me he would see me again in one month but good news....he told me I am allowed to put 35 lbs of pressure until he sees me again.

Well today was a little shocking...I was expecting the doc to tell me that I could get back into a shoe and start physio. He told me I was allowed to go full weight bearing gradually over the next few days but only in the boot. He said I could use crutches in the house and go barefoot but anytime I was outside, I needed to be in the boot. He told me that I would need to do this for another two months before he would see me again. I asked again about physio and he said no, that he doesn't want anyone cranking on my foot just yet but I could start doing some range of motion exercises at home. He also told me that I would need to go from the boot right into orthodics and made a referral that day to get them made. I will give another update in about a week!!!

Well, so far, so good!! I think I might have lost the crutches a little too soon because my foot would get really sore after only a few hours. Today, my foot feels great. I have been taking it easy and taking the boot off and stretching. My range of motion is getting better. My foot is still a little tender and stiff especially first thing in the morning. It is amazing though with no crutches because I can carry things for myself and get around pretty easily. I can even go up and down the stairs carefully and slowly of course. I even took two steps today in bare feet with no crutches!!! I see my doc again in two months and am hoping nothing will have changed on the x-rays. Doc also said he was worried about my arch collapsing and that is the reason he wanted me to remain in the boot for another two months so it would get strong!!

I will keep updating you. There is light at the end of the tunnel my friends!!!!

Ok so I told my doc that I was walking barefoot with no crutches in the house (just tiny baby steps) and he told me to stop right away. I am only to do full weight bearing with the boot on. I am allowed to walk without the boot but only with the support of crutches. Good thing I told him what I was up to. I only did this twice. Foot has not been out of the boot much today and it is really stiff and sore. Need to take it easy.

how is your foot doing now? I've been full weight bearing for 10 days now, no boot , no crutches and it's painful, mostly in my lower ankle

So it is two more weeks till I go back and see my ortho surgeon. Hopefully the xray will be fine and I can then get out of this horrible (yet convenient) walking boot that I have been in for five months. I will need to go right into orthotics.....no more heels or sandals for a long time....maybe never again...but at least I will be able to walk again. Not sure yet if I have to have physio. Will do a final update on November 13th or so!!!

On Sept 7 I stepped hard on a cement cover over my spetic tank in my back yard and broke my fifth metartarsal bone. I have been on crutches and in a boot cast since. It is healing very slowly and next Friday Nov 7
will have next xrays and should start putting weight on it with the boot on.
I wonder how long it will take to put full weight and wear my shoes

The only thing I can suggest is to do exactly what your doctor orders even if your foot starts feeling better on its own. The metatarsal bones take a long time to heal. I was only allowed to do partial weight after three months in the boot and had to do the partial weight (with the assistance of one crutch) for about another month or so....then gradually progress to full weight in the boot.....I actually had to do full weight in the boot for two entire months. I go tomorrow to get another final xray and if all is well, I will be given permission to get into my orthotics and orthotic shoes. I will be in these for a very long time as well. Will let you know how my appointment goes tomorrow. If you have anymore questions, let me know.

There is light at the end of the tunnel!!

Moe

I have been out of my walking boot for three weeks now and free walking in regular/orthopedic custom insoles as well as orthopedic shoes.....it has been really sore and stiff. When my foot gets sore with the orthodics, I switch to regular shoes. It is really stiff and I don't have the mobility I once had. Does anyone know how long it will take to get better???