I just had an MRI that revealed that I have a lisfranc injury from an accident I had about 8 weeks ago and am scheduled to have surgery to put a screw in my foot (to stabilize the joint) in two weeks.

The doctor says I'll be in a splint for about a week and then a hard cast for 6-8 weeks.  The problem is that my husband is going to have to be out of town for most of that time, which means I'll be living alone.  Trying to decide if I can manage by myself or if I need to go to my mom's house (out-of-state) to recover.  Any of you have advice or experiences to share?  Can you drive with a cast on your left foot?  Anyone ever walk a (small) dog on crutches? 

If it matters, I'm told that as lisfranc injuries go mine is not very severe. The joint in only slightly displaced and I'll only need one pin.  Still, I have hear horror stories about how painful this surgery can be. 

Joyce

Hey joyce
I recently had a lisfranc injury. On may 13th 2012 i was at work, and at the end of the day we were trying to get a task done quickly. I wend on a platform that was supposed to be safe. Long story short i fell through down 25 feet and my foot caught on a ladder rung on the bottom. Because i knew and my co workers knew there was something wrong we went to the er. I was then admitted and told that my foot was broken and that i needed to see a podiatrist about this type of injury. The next day was a busy day. On the 14th i went and had 3 rays and 2 cts to see what was wrong. The podiatrist came in and told me i suffered from what they called a lis franc fracture. To be honest that meant nothing to a guy that was sitting on a bed with a morphine pump :). So i looked at him and asked if he could fix it and he told me i needed surgury right away. Knowing that the podiatrist that i had was very well known for his work on feet, i said well when can u fit in. I ended up being under the knife on may 16th. I had 6 pins put in and an external fixitor. After surgery they told me to stay in the hospital until pain was managed. The horror stories you heard about the pain after surgury is 100% true. To be honest it was the worst pain that i had during the injury. My advice to you is if you have surgery is to ask your doctor if you could have a painkiller pump afterwards. DO NOT get morphine because it will make u feel very ill after the surgery. Just something that you can stay ahead of the pain once your nerve block wears off. The issue i had was that i wanted to go home so i tried to get off the pain meds because they wouldnt let me leave until i was off the pain meds. Haha yeah dont try that, from that point i realized that i needed to stay ahead of the pain instead of fighting it. So now im gonna skip forward a bit. I am now 5 weeks post op. i still get little aches and pains but nothing that is unbearable. Im still not weight bearing. So with that means i do nothing. Before the injury i went to the gym everyday, walked my dog, ran, bikes worked. My doctor told me not to do anything because you only get two feet and can always do those things later in life. So if the doctor says non weight bearing for 6 to 8 weeks, that means you gotta sit there and rest your foot. Right now the only times i get up is to use the rest room or to go into a different room. It really sucks and i always get tempted to go out and drive and do something. The biggest thing is that ive been telling myself is that "i want to get better". If you have that state of mind it makes time go by easier. During this time your going to need people to help you with things. Its amazing how hard things are with crutches. My gf has been absolutly wonderful through this. Through this horrible boring time, keep your head up. Dont keep reading all the depressing posts about this injury. Because to be honest, i have no idea how my foot will work, but i dont want to sit through my recovery time thinking that i wont walk normally again. I keep telling my self i will run again. Do small exercises in order to keep your muscles from losing strength. You would be amazed how just lifting your leg up will make a huge difference. So look up different execises that you could do laying in bed. We got a long road ahead yet, but i feel if we can have a positive mindset, we will be ok. Keep me posted on your progress. Ill post on here the next time i go to the doctor and let you know what he says. Good luck Joyce!

-Trevor

Thanks Trevor. Reading about your experience helps a lot. I'm scheduled for surgery tomorrow. It may be a few days, but I'll let you know how it goes. I'm hoping that you'll get some good news about your own injury soon. I plan to take your advice and stop reading the horror stories; just doesn't seem to be any point giving up before I get started for the recovery process. (Actually, I will be re-starting the process since the lame insurance company wouldn't pay for the MRI until several weeks had gone by....but that is a whole other story.)

Anyway, thanks again for your input.

Joyce

Joycemil-

I fell on January 19th, I broke my middle toe, sprained my foot and apparently screwed up my lisfranc joint>  UNFORTUNATELY we didn't catch the damage until April 11th.

I had surgery for a Lisfranc fracture on May 29th.  I'm coming up on four weeks post op.  I had screws/staples we'll just say "hardware" lol put in and three joints fused.  Plus a pin they will remove.  The doc had to take some of my bone from my ankle to put into my joint to fuse.  Then because the foot wasn't laying straight still he had to take donor bone to make a shim of sorts at my ankle.  He also did some work on my achilles (sp) tendon to get it looser as it has tightened up.

I was in a splint for two weeks. At two weeks post op my stitches came out and the cast went on.  I have three weeks left to go no weight bearing.  Then I get a walking boot for six weeks.  How glorious will it be to walk again.

I rented a knee scooter for times that I'm out and about.  I SUCK at crutches, and I personally wouldn't walk a dog on them.  Or on the knee scooter to be honest but that might be personal preference.

Are you going to be absolutely no weight bearing?  If so walking the dog on crutches may not be suggested as you may end up inadvertently putting weight on your foot.

I'd say being home alone probably wont' be a big deal once you're a couple days past surgery.

I have a babysitter here all the time for the most part but that is mostly due to the fact I have three kids.  If it was just me I'd find a way to manage on my own.

Good luck.  I hope to hear that the surgery went well.  

Trevor- I just went back and read your response after typing mine up.
I went to a surgical center. I went home a few hours after the surgery. My foot completely numb. The worst part was the surgery was an hour longer than they thought it was go and my upper thigh hurt SOOOO bad due to the tourniquet.
I was sent home as I said with my foot numb and a bottle of percoset. I was able to manage my pain fairly well. The week after I was onto Norcos.

I TOTALLY hear you on being stir crazy, on only getting up mostly to go to the bathroom. I went to walmart once (and riding in the amigo was painful surprisingly enough because I couldn't get the cast in a comfortable place) and I went outside ONCE today for one minute. that is IT.

I could use crutches but as I said I suck at them> And as you said you only get two feet.

I fell on the 19th of JANUARY, had a sprain and a broken toe, the sprain has long since healed, I had a pin put in my toe and taken out. And had wrappings on it almost constantly for 15 or more weeks. Then they sent me for a CAT scan due to me walking duck like and the area by the lisfranc joint not looking "right"

I've already dealt with this for SO long I dont want to risk ANYTHING screwing up my recovery. So while I COULD probably do more I don't dare. lol.

I'm glad to hear someone else taking it slow and steady. Anyway we can all keep in touch to keep our spirits up? I find myself getting very sad not being able to take care of myself let alone my kids, and watching life go on around me.

Good luck everyone! Hears to fully healing.

Thanks for the responses to my post. It's nice to know I'm not the only person to ever endure this. No one involved in the surgery, except my doctor, had ever heard of a lisfranc injury.

It's been a week since my surgery and I'm starting to feel somewhat normal again--except of course for this big hulking thing on my foot. The doctors say everything went according to plan; I have a splint and lots of ace bandages on my foot/leg now and will get a hard cast next week (when the swelling goes down).

The pain isn't too terrible. I'm guessing it would be much, much worse if I had more than one screw. I didn't have much say in what I got for the pain. They sent me home with 60 (!) oxycodone/acetaminophen, which seemed like way too many at first. And isn't oxycodone the drug everyone ends up addicted to?

Anyway, I took everyone's advice and have been trying to stay ahead of the pain by taking one every four hours (as prescribed) even if the pain isn't terrible. If I wait for the pain to get bad, it takes a while to get it back under control.

After four days of struggling with crutches, I learned that I'm very uncoordinated. (Guess I should have known that from the fall that caused the injury.) Finally, decided to rent one of those knee scooter/walker and I'm very happy I did. I can get around much more easily and can actually use my hands once I get where I'm going.

I have to laugh at the idea of walking my dog. Don't know what I was thinking when I posted that. For right now, he's happy staying in the fenced back yard for a couple of hours a day. If someone helps me get the knee scooter outside, I can even go out there with him for a while. I’d feel too unstable to do that on crutches.

The boredom has just started to set in. I try not to even imagine how long six weeks is; I just take it one day at a time. I'm already sick of trying to bath and wash my hair in the sink; thinking about buying one of those cast covers that is supposed to be waterproof. Anyone had any experience with them?

Joyce

Hey guys! Im glad that all is going well! I got some good news yesterday. I was able to get the remaining of my pins (k wires) taken out and my external fixiture removed. I was very nervous to have those removed. However the pins caused no pain. The external bar however i had to get a local anestetic in order to get that off. I am now officially hardware free :). I now have only two weeks left of non weight baring and then i start PT. I can now take a normal shower without hanging my foot out of the shower lol. I was also very excited that the doctor told me i should be able to walk at my best friends wedding! And that is on the 28th of july! He did tell me that i may need future surguries if i have pain when walking. Right now i have no pain from the injury, just soreness from the splint. And to answer your question joyce about the water proof covering. I never got one because i never had a hard cast on. Those water proof covers i hear work well with hard casts. I just used garbage bags and electrical tape. But during that phase where i couldnt get wet, i didnt shower much. I just tried to avoid a risk of falling. I also wasnt too worried how i looked lol. So the boredom is setting in? The first 2 weeks are the worst, but after that you get used to it. I try and do the things that i normally wouldnt have time for because of work. Also keep on the exercise on your injured leg. That was one thing my doctor liked because i wont have to do PT as long. You obviously cant work your calf muscle (mine is like just bone now). What ive been doin lately is walking in place. What you got to do is place your injured knee on a chair and lift your knee off the chair. Do it for like 15 min 3 times a day. If you keep up with it physical therapy will be cut in half and just focused on your foot and calf muscles. And sita hows your healing process coming along. I hope its going well and i look forward to hearing how it goes.

I hope to hear from both of you on your progress. Good luck everyone :)

-Trevor

Hey, I had surgery for Lisfranc in Mid-March 2013. The break actually occured in Nov, but was missed due to other major injuries from an auto accident.

I wanted to mention that I started PT for my other injuries prior to my foot surgery. My PT told me to prepare for this surgery by putting two towels under my bad leg and press down for 30 seconds 25 times and realeasing for 15 to 20 seconds, then add two more towels and repeat, then add the last two towels and repeat. In time I got up to 50 knee presses for each set of towels. Also, when I had no cast on I got in tub and did knee presses and then knee bends by sliding foot up to my rear end. My PT said this helped when I returned to PT. Also in preparation for the foot surgery, the PT had me lay on my stomach and place 3 to 7 pounds of weight on my legs. Then I was to raise them up into the air and hold for 30 seconds. This prepared my rear end to stabilize me more when I went back on crutches.

Other PT I did was take a ball and placing behind the bad leg and pressing against a wall. Or putting 3 to 5 pounds on my cast and raising the leg up in air, holding 30 sec's, then bend the knee to my chest, hold, straighten out, then lower to bed. I was NOT allowed to be weight bearing for 8 weeks. Try to put 10 pounds of weight on your knee and do clam shells, leg bent foot on bed, on you good side lay with knee with weight up, then slowly lower leg to bed, try 3 sets of 15. 

I read an article written by a doctor about Lisfranc and he advised that you should only walk, in a boot, with your heel and not on the entire foot. Not trying to complain about the medical facility where I had my surgery, but a few weeks after they gave me the boot, which they had planned to give me a cast but I needed medical testing for a nerve problem they identified in my foot prior to surgery, I took the boot and removed the inner lining and placed it on the foot and then put the rigid boot on and pumped up the air bladder. I found I had much less mobilty as the boot restricted me so much more. I would suggest trying this as I feel it limits your mobility for the better in the long run.

I just had lisfranc surgery July 28th of 2017 they took my bone out of my knee and used for my surgery after 2 pins and the bone out of my knee I can't do anything to stop the pain I get no sleep and always hurt they gave me this weak pain killer med they only works for about an hour but I can only take it every 6 hours bruised like crazy and the pain is at a 9 to 10 all the time called the doctor said that it will be this way anything anyone knows to easy the pain as my wife is a teacher and it's going to be only me next week

I need surgery for a Lisfranc injury. Just wondering how everyone would rate post op pain. Breaking my foot only caused throbbing an only pain if I was bearing weight.