Hello all. My daughter is a college student and some 3 months ago she started to have pain in her foot. Not so long ago she visited an orthopedic and after an examination she was diagnosed with Freibergs disease. So, my question is: what over the counter medication would you recommend she take for the pain??? She is in a tremendous amount of pain and I would really like to find something that will help her. Thanks.

When I was 14 years old I was diagnosed with Freiberg's infractions disease. At that time both of my feet hurted me really, really bad. I could not even stand to have a sheet across my feet. My mother took me to many doctors that could not find out what was wrong with my feet - one doctor wrap them in tape, another put needles in my feet, another wanted to take out the bones and sew my toe to the other…. There were so many of such that I can’t recall all of them. Finally, somehow I ended up at one extremely good doctor who diagnosed Freiberg’s! He told my mom to have every one of my shoes fitted with a metatarsel bar across the bottom and that really helped me a lot. Later, the pain came back but it was less severe. Anyway I had to quit all sports and any running or jumping. I think that is the best advice I can give you too – your daughter should reduce her sports activity (if she has any) and should wear fitted shoes.

i just had an operation for frieburgs disease! just got my wires out today (which doesnt rele hurt) and im so glad that i did it so i would recocmend that your daughter get it. the op doesnt hurt much and its only sore for a few days. it is annoying coz your on crutches for a few week but worth it! and if u have crutches wear gloves on ur hands because they give u blisters after a week or so. also tell your daughter to keep moveing her ankle and leg otherwise her muscles will wear away in a week and its hard to build them up again.
hope your daughter is better soon
from hana, 15

hey my name is natasha and I am 16. I have frieburgs syndrome. This is to Hana. Hana what was the operation called that u got because im in a lot of pain and at the minute i can hardly walk. Do you have any information on freiberg syndrome that you could tell me cause i dont know a lot about it cause the doctors have just realised that i have this syndrome.

please write back tashaxx

In response to some of the messages regarding Freiburgs Disease, I must say that the operation was painful and took a couple of years to recover from fully. Prior to the operation I had been a very active athlete which included a lot of running. I was told at the time that I'd never run again which was devastating as I was a triathlete. I had the operation 15 years ago to remove two metatarsal heads in my right foot. After a fews years I started running again, I now regularly compete in Ironman Triathlon and adventure races. Most of my running is off road and I wear solid running shoes. I have also worn carbon fibre orthotics for the past 15 years which have helped support my foot.
Be positive about this problem and work with it... I have avoided wearing high heels, don't do more than 3.5 hours running per week and try to keep my feet warm in the winter.

Good luck,

Fiona

This Is to Hana
heloo im emma and im 14. Iv been diagnosed with frieburgs disease for nearly a year and it still isnt getting better. I have it in the middle bone of ma left foot and i now have a great big bumb on ma bone- lyk a huge circle. Did this happen to you? Im goin bck to the hospital in a few weeks for anuva check up and am hopeing theyl fix it. But my orthopeadics dusnt reely do much to help me. What was the oporation you got, and are you fully healed now???
PLEASEEEE RITE BACK- I"L BEG YOU!!!!
xxx

hi my names sarah..
im 15 and have had freiburgs for about 3 or 4 years and it hurts so much right! i wear really geeky but comfy shoes.. gel insoles with a bump under the metatarsol joint which is bad.. they are my savour somedays! they help so much with the pain when im doing sports! try physiomedhomecare.com and get the full length insoles by blue point!
also last year i had an operation.. a debridement or something like that.. it hasnt helped at all and it still hurts so much! just today i went to hospital to see my consultant who gave me an injection to remove some fluid... so far it just hurts more but fingers crossed! anyone know of any other effective surgery!? please!!

hanna please tell me the name of the surgery and the doctor. My 15 year old daughter has friebergs disease. She has been told she can never run or jump again. He said dont let anyone cut on you.

I am 17 years old and i was diagnosed with freibergs disease a couple of months ago. It got triggered off with a thump to my feet and since then i have been in complete agony. I have been having real problems trying to wear shoes as anything that touches my foot hurts it, i was wondering if anyone knew if there was any type of shoes i should wear to help support my foot. Also a pair that could help me walk as can not put my foot down, so for the last 2 weeks i have been in crutches!

Hi, this is a question to fiona & some general info for others, I was diagnosed with Freibergs about 26 years ago in my right foot and then 10 years later in my left one. I had an operation to debride the metetarsal head of my 2nd toe joint and after much pain found no improvement whatsoever. About 3 years ago I seriously considered having the operation to remove the entire metetarsal head and have hesitated to go ahead with this due to my past experience. What operation did you have 15 years ago & is there anyone out there who has had their met. head removed?I have lived with this for 26 years and am now in costant painin my right foot although the left isnt so bad. I continued to do sport like running & squash & in the last 6 years Karate. I am now affected quite badly but continue to train-I broke the toe several times and it is having trouuble healing so things are beginning to go to pot unless I have surgery. Im worried about the recovery as I work in the fitness industry and whether the toe will flex after the M. head is removed. Im about to have cortesone shots to manage the pain until I can have surgery. Liz

My 16 year old daughter is in full time classical ballet training and has been diagnosed with Freiburgs Disease, she recently had an injection which left her without pain for two weeks, however the pain is now back. She is now considering an operation as she is desparate to get back to her ballet training. Any advise or information about the operation would be appreciated.

My daughter 16 years old was diagnosised w/ Freibergs. She has been seeing a specialist in Seattle, treating her w/ steroids. She is scheduled to have surgery next week. She has tried the conservative treatment: cast for eight weeks. She is avid soccer player. She is hoping to has surgery and be back to playing competative soccer next fall.
For those oyou that have had surgery. Did you find it heplful and were you able to go back to your active lifestyle?
Thanks,
Karen Concerned Mom

i am 37 and was diagnosed with frieburgs when i was 19. i have it in the second metatarsul of my left foot. i had one surgery and was scheduled for a second to replace my joint with an artificial joint. instead, i started seeing a specialist in the field. he canceled the surgery due to my age at the time (20). i wore corrective shoes on and off - mostly off as i was in college - for a couple of years. i was told i shouldn't run and limit long-distance walking. since that time, i have run three marathons. obviously this is a serious thing, but i have found that, after the initial pain which happens when the blood supply is being cut off, i have been quite all-right. i keep a close eye on it, but the pain subsides and it is something you can live quite normally with.

Hi, littlebitz...

I am 61 years old and had my met joint removed and my two toes sewn together. You cannot tell that the toes are sewn together at all as they were very careful about making it look okay. It does. My toes are stuck together but it doesn't look weird at all.

I had this done when I was about 25 years old and have had no problems since. As I healed from the surgery, which unfolded at the normal pace of any foot surgery, the foot was just fine and has been every since.

I am not an athlete but I did serve as a flight attendant for 13 years, until I was 31 years old so I was on my feet a lot. One thing I did do was to get permission to wear birkenstock sandals while on the plane as my work shoes and they served me very well for years. I wear them almost all the time now except when the weather is bad and when I don't wear them, I make sure I have good arch support.

It was the best thing I did for myself as the problem was eliminated forever. This may not be everyone's experience but it was mine.

Hi All. I also suffer form Freibergs discease and have had two operations in the last two years:
1) Debridement - this was not too painful and I was on crutches for two weeks...... but it didn't work anyway!
2) Joint fusion (called an ilectomy or something like that).....also off my feet for two weeks.....turns out I didn't have enough healthy cartlidge left in the toe to complete the fusion..back to square one.

My next operation in next Thursday 11 Jan 2007 - I am now having the bone removed and the operation is called the Stainsby Procedure. In a nutshell they use the tendons/muscles to "roll up" in the space created where they take the bone out to try and avoid you getting a "curly" and floppy toe afterwards. They then pin it for 6 weeks until it all heals.

I will write and let you all know how it goes.