Hi
My wife fell about 5 weeks ago and suffered a LisFranc Fracture of her left foot. She underwent an ORIF and put the screws in. She has been having a difficult time. She still cannot weight bear on that foot and is using a walker that it is making it hard for her to move about. What should she (and I) expect in the next few weeks? Is the surgery to remove the screws invasive-meaning is it general anethesia again and all of that. She is worried about having to go through another surgery. She really is getting sick of not being able to put any weight on her foot. Anyone that has had similar experiences, please share your thoughts. She feels very alone in this because as I understand it, this kind of fracture is somewhat rare. Any thoughts will be very much appreciated!
Thanks

Health Advisor
Well, this is not something that goes away so easily. It is certainly not comfortable, I can even say it is incredibly annoying but there is nothing your wife can do but sit and wait and try to occupy her mind with something else.

When my mom had a metatarsal surgery, she didn’t have any anesthesia for pin removal but maybe lisfranc surgery differs. When is your wife scheduled for removal?

It is normal that she’s unable to put any weight on her foot and wearing a cast can be helpful. When the screws are removed, she may be given a walking brace or she could wear an arch support until everything heals and her symptoms wear off.

I know it’s annoying not being able to move but moving too early can only slow the healing and may even cause another injury, so she has to understand this is something she has to wait out. I hope she gets better soon!

Check out this link, you may find some useful info:

https://www.steadyhealth.com/LISFRANC_FOOT_t48311.html

My LisFranc injury was due to stress from a twisting fall I had two weeks earlier and then the smallest wrong pressure...POP.....I knew it was bad. I had three pins and two screws put in 5 days later. The pins were removed after six weeks and the screws are still a part of everyday soreness. That was all 3 years ago. I have quite abit of scar tissue on top of my foot making shoes difficult and a long day on my feet makes for a long night in my favorite chair. Orthotics, often covered by insurance, can help alleviate most soreness and a good pair of shoes that are made to take orthotics help tremendously....Good Luck

I have chronicled my LisFranc fracture in another post here at SteadyHealth.com. You can read it here:

I was off my foot for 9 weeks total. My podiatric surgeon went back in through the same incisions he used to insert the screws when he removed them and, yes, it does require general anesthesia again. Tell your wife not to worry though. The second surgery is nowhere near as painful as the first. Actually, she'll probably notice immediate relief now that the screws are gone. Please read her my posts about my journey and let her know she's not alone.

Bright Blessings,

Anne

I had a cunieform fracture of the left foot, I had a cam walker for 6 weeks, then went to surgery as I was in so much pain. They found two fractures instead of one and put the screws in and then5 days later stitches were out and in a cast for 5 weeks. Later after going to work and thearpy I was in so much pain, thearpy could not get swelling to go down. so, my podiatrist and I talked and felt the screws needed to be removed. They had to do a bone graft I was out of work for 3 weeks and went back to work in a surgerical shoe. It gave such relief I couldn't even walk on it till the screws were out.
Not to scare anyone, later on, two years later still having issues, I have a had stress fracture of the third medatersal and now, a acute stress fracture of the 5th medatrasal. I just got out of the cast after 6 weeks. IM still having pain and went for bone scan and Ct scan and not much change. I have also had the electric shock thearpy which gave relief.
Please tell her these things take time, she isn't alone. I know I understand as I feel IM the one who is alone. My appointment with my Doctor is Monday the 15th, IM waiting patiently to go back to work. IM going crazy and I want to just get on with my life. This is the same foot. So, please tell her she isn't alone. But taking out the pins will give her relieve.

the lisfranc fracture/dislocation i sustained to my left foot occurred on Apr 20th. i had surgery on May 1st. i've been in a cast for 5 weeks with absolutely no weight bearing allowed. my cast will be removed in approx 2 1/2 weeks. until i was injured, i had never even heard of this type of injury. my doctor said that the surgery went better than he expected it to and instead of having to put screws or pins in, wound up only putting staples in, which i will not have to undergo another surgery to remove. my major concern is being able to enjoy walking, running, or even wearing heels in the future as i am fairly young and can't even imagine not being able to walk freely. any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had this injury in Dec 2002 . I was 55 at the time. The operation (3 32 screws) was done in Chrostchurch new Zealand with an epidural. The screws were removed 8 month slater back in the UK, again with an epidural. I now walk normally and have just managed to run for no more than 100 yards. I even attend Mojive lessons, but the stiffness and pain first thing ever morning remain. I jusdt havr to walk it off by going up and especially down stairs a few times. I hope your wife is also improving. my email is cfinlay2 at america on line if you wish to contact me.

cfinlay2 wrote:

kba001 wrote:

Hi
Thanks

I had this injury in Dec 2002 . I was 55 at the time. The operation (3 32 screws) was done in Chrostchurch new Zealand with an epidural. The screws were removed 8 month slater back in the UK, again with an epidural. I now walk normally and have just managed to run for no more than 100 yards. I even attend Mojive lessons, but the stiffness and pain first thing ever morning remain. I jusdt havr to walk it off by going up and especially down stairs a few times. I hope your wife is also improving. I am able to alk cross country for about 5 miles if I wear hiking boots. I have just bought a pair of 'crocs' - and thay are actually comfy.

I suffered a severe lisfranc infury on April 3 06 as the result of a low-speed motorcycle fall near Moab, UT. The bike fell on my upturned left heel, and tried to push my heel thru my toes into the sandstone. Mashed it good- the metatarsals went every which way and broke the tops off the cuneaforms. My toes ended up touching the front of my ankle. Didn't break the metatarsals though, but it would've made it easier. It was a 4-1/2 hour jeep ride to the hospital in Moab where they were non-chalant until I took my boot off. My foot kinda turned left right in the middle. They did a closed reduction under x-ray and put a soft cast on.

Back at home in Colorado my doc cleaned out the pieces of bone and put in 5 screws, and 2 pins which stuck out the side of my foot. It never really hurt that much until after surgery. That was PAIN. But that was 14 weeks ago, and it feels good now. I had a cast for 8 weeks, and at 5 weeks they yanked the pins out with pliers, and not even an aspirin. It pinched a little, but I was gald to get those pins out. I was walking on it in the cast with a funky little sandal for about 3 weeks. I have an air boot now with a custom orthotic, and I walk pretty well. Today I walked around the lake no problem. The boot only comes off to shower or sleep.

Tomorrow I have surgery to remove the 5 screws, then I believe I'm in the air boot again. Apparently it will be 6 weeks for the bones to heal before I can try PT or resume normal activity. It's been a long ordeal, and I'm tired of telling the story over and over.

I've seen arguments for and against taking the screws out. I am definitely getting mine out- I used to ride bicycle a lot and play ice hockey 2-3 times a week, and I'm not giving that up. The concern is metal fatigue- stainless steel can't handle constant torquing & flexing without breaking and that is what happens when you walk. When you flex your ankle, the bones in your leg and foot rotate some, putting rotational stress on the joints and therefore the screws. So out they come.

The surgery to remove the screws will require total anesthesia- they can block the pain of the skin etc. with a local, but not the bone pain. The doc said the difficult part is finding the screws- they don't really know where they are. After the screws are out, they fill the holes with some sort of anesthetic gel. I hope to be at work the next day; we'll see.

My research on-line tells me I have a 75% chance of 96% recovery- depending mostly on how well the doc did getting things put back in place absolutely correctly. I'm confident- positive attitude ya know.

I've enjoyed reading about everyone's experiences- looks like we all share about the same things.

I had a rock climbing fall on 28th Dec 06 (my fault, it was too cold to climb but i just had to try the new gear i got for xmas :-) I had 3 screws put in on new yrs eve. After 11 weeks off work the doctor decided he'd leave the screws in and i was fit to go!!! its now 6 sept and it's still really swollen and very painful but the doc said this is as good as it gets, to quote his words. I havent climbed since, hell i cant even run! i also tend to find that the joint and muscles around my ankle seem to ache a lot. It's picked me up knowing i'm not alone. Thanks everyone.

On Aug 3 06 the 5 screws came out of my foot. I was on crutches again until the custom arch supports were made, about 2 weeks. As soon as I got the orthotics though, I had permission to put on regular shoes. But the swelling was too much. I bought some shoes that are 1-1/2 sized too big in order to be able to get them on, but I am walking again. There is still some swelling, especially in the evening. I'm not to push off with my toes yet, until I see the doc 6 weeks after the screws have been out. I have been riding my bicycle, which is great. I also put my ice skates on and skated a little- not too comfortable.

I expect a little pain, but the constant swelling is not good. I also still don't have any feeling in the skin on the top of my foot- the nerves were severed during both surgeries. My toes will flex up, but not down. I'm about 50% of normal-hoping that things continue to improve, even if slowly.

On 4-10-06 I fell and hurt my left foot. The swelling and bruising was severe. Two weeks later my foot still was not any better. To made a long story short I was not diagnosed a Lis Franc Fracture until June from a MRI. After a referal to a podiatrist I was put in a air cast for 1 month. On August 1, I had a open reduction and 5 pins put in my foot. On Sept. 18 one pin was removed. I have been off work now for 5 months. Oct. 2 a few more pins will be removed. I have been on non-weight bearing since Aug 1. Will continue non-weight bearing for a couple of more months. My occupation will not allow me to work on crutches or air cast, or any restriction. I am a nurse and work for a large hospital. As of Oct 9, will no longer be employed. It is a safey issue. I am just curious how long until my foot is normalor untill I can walk in a regular shoe.

Hi Everyone: Welcome to the Lisfranc club! Follow these threads for a lot of information. The first thread is 15 pages full of information and the second thread is because the first thread got too full. I would really appreciate it if you would do all of your Replys on the 2nd thread.

Some weblinks state that only 1 out of 55,000 persons present with a lisfranc injury so we're a rare breed.

Part I:
https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/lisfranc-foot&name=LISFRANC_FOOT&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Part II:
https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/lisfranc-foot-fracture-thread-part-ii

Cheers, Kelly

In April 2006 I sprained my R-ankle torn ligaments and was put in an air-cast... a week later in May I tripped in the stairs and injured the L-foot by landing with a stair spindle b/n my 4-5 metatarsals causing a twist & blunt force lisfranc injury and ligament damage. I wore an air-cast in the L-foot for approx.3mths before being able to taking it off. Physio 2x/wk. It's been a challenge healing both the R-ankle and the multiple injuries to the L-foot. I'm overwhelmed with the time & cost of care/ physio/ meds/ orthotics/ shoes/ TIME. I'm discouraged at the length of time it is taking to heal.
Normal shoes are impossible at this point... Perhaps of interest - I just found a new rocker shoe on the market MBT which might help you all.
Thanks to all who have shared your stories... somehow, knowing you've all shared similar frustrations & pain helps. ;o)

WOW, after 4 weeks on the couch I didnt realise how many people get this stupid Injury. The 1st week in Oct. I was smart enough to drop my Harley on Myself (dont ask) tried to stand after I fell realised that that wasnt happening. I had to let the swelling go down 4 a week and then surgery w/4 screws and a T-plate for 3 weeks, in a cast. This is all supposed to come out in another Month then a cast for 4 more weeks. Then who knows? Im 40 yrs old and I would like to know the % of Arthritis developing in my foot if anyone has an Idea! I was running about 2 miles a day, guess thats it for that.