I am having a bone spur removed from the top joint of my big toe. I am very active and am concerned with the down time from exercise. Has anyone had this surgery and can explain recovery week by week?

Give yourself three months minimum before you start light training. You really have to let the surgery have a chance of succeeding. Swimming, despite what I was told, really hurts, but cycling was OK. I pushed myself into playing football too soon after and had to have more surgery.

Hi - how did your bone spur removal go ?

I had some bone spur removed from my big toe 6 weeks ago. Also had the big toe joint replaced. My surgeon was one of the best in London (UK) , but he thoroughly unprepared me for the pain I am now feeling. He brushed my questions regarding the recovery time aside saying "Its a routine operation and you'll be walking out the same day".
The wound has healed but it is still really painful whenever I walk any distance undeneath the base of the joint. If I knew I would be in this discomfort I would never has consented to the operation.
Please let me know ho you are getting along, I am very dispirited and need some cheer !

Thanks
Elizabeth Hill

I had a bone spur removed Oct of 2005 and still have pain from it. If I had known the pain would last this long or be like this I don't know if I would of ever had the surgery.

It still hurts to walk sometimes. It hurts after standing any length of time. I cannot wear heals at all. I cannot bend the toe normally.

I had a total toe joint replacement 20 years ago when I was 32 after 16 years of suffering and am still dancing! Yes, it took about 3 months for me to feel totally confident walking and exercising without pain or stiffness, but it changed my life after that. The degree of flexibility isn't that great, but it doesn't matter - I have worn normal shoes and undertaken a full range of activities in the intervening years. 5 years ago I had a cheilectomy (removal of bone spur) on my other foot and this has served me well too.

However, 20 years ago they used a silicone replacement joint and now x-rays show bone degeneration in that foot, and I have started to have some pain and loss of nerve sensation in my second toe, so not sure how much longer that will last or what I can do about it. I know that modern implant materials are vastly improved.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had a replacemnet toe joint for the same length of time.

kstrauser:
Have you had the surgery? I looked at this website a couple of weeks ago, right before I had the same surgery, and was so concerned I called the doctor's office to remind them I had two small children and needed to know more about the recovery time. They said the first day I wouldn't "feel like doing much," but other than that, no problem. Well, the pain did go away after two days, but I'm infuriated that they have me on crutches with instructions not to put any weight on the affected foot -- even the heel -- until the doctor says otherwise (he won't see me till 14 days after the surgery). You ever tried carrying a 2-year-old on crutches?
I'm hoping when I see him Monday he'll remove the partial cast and tell me I can walk normally. Meanwhile, I feel totally misled--I was hardly having any trouble functioning before the surgery, and now I really wonder what I've gotten myself into.
Best of luck, keep us posted

I just had that surgery removing bone spurs on the top joint of big toe just under two weeks ago. He also put in a joint implant.

Since it was pretty recent I can tell you I've got some healing time ahead of me.

The main thing is, WEAR THE SHOE the doctor gives you. If you take it off
and try to walk a few steps here and there, it will set you back and make your foot start hurting again.

Tylenol with Codeine is helping greatly. I cut it down to even smaller
pieces so I don't get sleepy when I need to be alert etc.

I'm having the same surgery, my doctor told me that I would be on crutches and out of work for at least 2 months.

I had the spur removal surgery 10/25. It was painful but pain meds made it ok. I was on crutches for about 5 days and able to put light pressure about 3 days after surgery. I used 1 crutch for about a week longer just as an aid and if I had alot of walking to do. After 2 weeks no crutches. It's a month ago now and I am wearing loose flat shoes and doing quite well. It will probably be another few months before I try any stylish heels. Ice and massage are the greatest. Ice after use to prevent swelling and massage to help soften scar tissue and help blood flow and healing.

I had a very large bone spur from moved from my arm in 2001. I was only 12 then and I had the bone spur for 3 years before they when ahead with the surgery. My post-op was easy and I had very little pain. I didn't take the prescription pain killers, just Motrin. I had little trouble with it the last 7 years until recently when it started bothering me again. However as with almost any surgery there will be pain or at least tenderness for a long time.

To anyone considering bone spur removal surgery the best advise is to evaluate how much pain you are in. If it's tolerable you might want to hold off on surgery. However if you are in a large amount of pain be it sharp or chronic surgery can be life changing. If not for the surgery I would never limited use of my shoulder do to the bone mass catching on the tendons of my arm. I have no regrets with my surgery even though I have a horrible scar. Even though my arm is still more tender than my other, I am in sooooo much less pain that it was worth every bit of post-op discomfort.

I JUST HAD THE JOINT IN MY RIGHT BIG TOE REPLACED TWO WEEKS AGO. NOW I AM NOTICING CONSTANT PAIN BETWEEN THE 2ND AND 3RD TOES IN THE BALL OF MY FOOT. IS THIS NORMAL? IS THIS BECAUSE I WALKED ON THE SIDE OF MY FOOT FOR MONTHS BEFORE THE SURGERY? THE 3RD TOE ALSO FEELS AS THOUGH IT IS NUMB OR UP ON TOP OF THE OTHER TOES, AM I CRAZY? I DON'T SEE MY DOCTOR FOR ANOTHER WEEK AND I AM NEEDING TO GO BACK TO WORK SOON, WHAT CAN I DO TO EASE THIS TRANSITION?

I had a bone spur removed from my ankle approx 6 weeks ago. I am still on crutches with a cast. I can tell I have more freedom of movement but I have pain down below the joint. I have two screws holding the artificial bone on. I go to the doctor today to see if I get a walking cast yet. Just taking it one day at a time. I am concerned about the future and how long this is going to take to heal. These messages really helped me...I don't feel so alone now.

I had a toe bone spur removed on 2-7-08 and had to wear a fiberglass cast on my foot for 3 weeks and keep the foot up with minimum use. After that, it was 3 weeks in the walking boot (space boot) and finally yesterday (3/25), I began physical therapy. The 6 weeks caused no pain and I did not take anything prescribed or otherwise. Unfortunately, when my incision healed, the skin healed to the tissue beneath (Yikes!) and it is very painful having that pulled on. I would suggest to anyone else having this surgery to continually massage the healing incision to prevent this from happening. My foot is still too swollen to wear any of my shoes so i've had to buy a birkinstock type of shoe in a size larger that is wide enough to slip my foot into. I was walking kinda good before going to therapy...now i'm back to hobbling :-( So, it can be a long healing process. Don't talk yourself into thinking it's going to be healed a week after surgery. Of course, everyone heals at a different rate, just don't push it in the beginning otherwise you'll be setting yourself back to where you were before surgery. Good Luck!

I had surgery 3 weeks today on both my little toes to remove bone spurs and nerves in the toes. I am really getting frusterated because there is still quite a substantial amount of pain. When will I start seeing a difference in the bone healing?

I need to have 2 bone spurs taken off of the two big toes. I want to know how long are you off of your feet? Are you able to get up and move around one or two days after the surgery?