Hi all, on March 2005 (25 months ago) I fell and damaged my left foot, local hospital here in Limerick Ireland did not detect the lisfranc injury, given tight sock and told to walk on it as soon as I could put weight on it, a week passed and still in pain went back to the hospital and again was dismissed, but told to get physio, after 6 weeks of physio no improvement, back to the hospital and again dismissed after another X-ray, this time I would not leave until orthopaedics got involved, after several appointments MRI, CAT scans and more X-rays a Lisfranc was diagnosed (December 2005) Operated on in Jan 2006 caste on until Mid April 2006, operation was OPEN REDUCTION AND INTERNAL FIXATION, during the operation a decision was made to stabilise the joint with K wires, and similar reduction for the 2nd/3rd metatarsal which are held with screws, the lateral metatarsal was held in with 2 precutaneous wires. Since the operation I have pain and 3 weeks ago 1 of the screws broke in my foot. Can onyone suggest a good surgeon or clinic that may advise me.

regards
aiden

there seems to be responses if you go onto Lisfranc Foot fracture Thread Part 2

My injurgy to my mid foot was labled "catastrophic" as all the bones in my midfoot were fractured (caused by braking to lessen the impact), in a head on collision on 2/5/08. I was coming home from dropping my daughter of to school. Weather in Michigan was extreme and black ice was the call of the morning. As I was driving a car lost control, came onto my lane and T-Boned me, causing the injury. I was taken to the ER and diagnosed with a minor fracture but instructed to go to an orthopedic surgeon for further eval. After extensive evaluation I went from minor fracture to all the bones in my midfoot fractured and dislocated. On 2/28 I had OPEN REDUCTION AND INTERNAL FIXATION of the right foot, after a 3-4 hrs of surgery, I ended up with 2 plates, 14 screws and two long pins holding my foot together. I was on my back for 4 mos. getting up only for the most necessary activities, dealing with constant pain (big doses of VicodinHP), persistent swelling and going bonkers. I am now somewhat mobile. Started 10 intensive weeks of PT, however BAD NEWS, I had to stop because it was not helping and just made my foot swell even more. I gained some mobility in my foot, am able to bear minimal weight, can walk, with a major limp, must have crutches at all times or in a wheelchair but not out of the woods by any means!
Dr. has recommended lymph massage, a Holistic approach, plus steriods to see if the swelling can be reduced, if that doesn't work, he told me that he will have to do a 3rd surgery to remove some of the hardware. That means a repeat of this year, with no guarantees for at best a reasonable recovery and full use of my right foot.

My situation is somewhat similar to all of you who have posted - constant chronic pain, excessive swelling, minimal weight bearing and LACK of good news for this type of injury. For those of you who have recovered I am happy for you -- that's terrific really!

The only thing I can offer the rest of us is that I remain optimistic everyday and I look at the fact that things could have been worse for me,I may not have been here to write this comment. Though my personal life changed significantly, my business almost completely gone and my inability to enjoy all the things I used to do with my family, tennis, golf, kayaking, running etc. I am greatful that I am alive and can enjoy the many blessings I have and if you think about it, you have many as well.

Best wishes
WinterHit

There are no good stories on here...and I don't have a good one to add! I have posted mine before, but here goes the summary. In July of 2007 I fell off the side of my outside steps while holding a one year old...luckily, nothing happened to him, but I took the fall hard. Went to local ER, was immediately transferred to larger hospital. I was diagnosed immediately with a lisfranc fracture and dislocation. The front/top half of my foot was basically disconnected from the rest of my foot. I had surgery an hour after I was transferred. I had 5 pins in my foot and then the incision where they had to cut in. I was non weight bearing for 4 months, and I am non coordinated with crutches so I was in a wheelchair. Let me tell ya, I had to learn all new ways to do thing as simple as sitting down on the toilet, showering, rolling over in bed. I had a cast put on, but bled through it, so then just had gauze and an ace wrap for the duration. I did PT once I was able to weight bear and used a walker for about 2 weeks to help with balance and stability. Now to today....the doctor says xray wise I healed perfectly and it was better than he expected. I still limp though, I have pain, and along with the regular pain, what I call "burny shooty stabby pain" which the doctor says is a pinched nerve. He recommended stable shoes and inserts, which I have done. I can tell it made a difference in the general pain and the walking, but not the shooting pains. Sometimes I still drag my foot and limp when I walk though. The dr wants me to have another surgery--fusion-- and says it will elleviate the swelling, thereby elleviating that pain. I CANNOT go through another 4 months in a wheelchair--mentally, physically, financially, or emotionally. I am putting it off as long as possible. I was told it is basically my call as to when to have the second surgery, when the pain become intollerable. Can someone explain to me what they actually do when they say they are doing a fusion surgery? Would I have pins in my foot again?
This is bad injury and it sucks to have it...I just have to keep telling myself that the baby I was holding was spared injury, and that makes it a little easier to bear.

I had open reduction and internal fixation done on my foot Feb 2007 and fusion as well, they took bone from the bone bank and put it between my first & second metatarsals with permanent screws. It provides great stability.
I also have k-wires & pins in the third, fourth & fifth metatarsals. I have pain in those joints, but not where they did the fusion. From the reading I have done, this was the best solution.
I put ice & cold bags on my foot for the first year when it swelled and throbbed and that gave me great relief. I had the shooting stabbing pain for a long time but it has finally subsided, 18 mths later. I think it is from the nerves reconnecting, that takes a long time. my nerve that attaches to my big toe is still recovering, I did not have feeling in it for at least a year and now it reminds me it is there by throbbing as well. My foot has improved from 6/10 last year to 9/10 this year. The exercises are really important and resting with your foot ABOVE your heart is a must. Taking your meds before you exercise helps and your foot stops turning purple in about 12 mths as long as you can get the swelling down.
keep in touch! hope this helps!

I had the same surgery you had except that they grafted bone from the bone bank onto my first & second metatarsals with permanent screws. it is great stability. I have pins & wires in my other three metatarsals and have pain in them, but not in the first two. I have read that I had the best surgery possible.
It was very important for me to keep my foot ABOVE my heart to reduce the swelling and keep ice & cold bags on it to relieve my pain, even during the first three months non weight bearing and for up to a year afterwards it was essential to the healing process. I found taking my painkillers before excercising helpful. I was on Percocet and then Tylenol 3 for the first 8 mths. I still got stabby pain for the first year, I think from the nerves being cut across the top of your foot, it takes them a while to reconnect. My big toe was numb up until the last few months and now it reminds me that it is there regularly.
I am glad to say that my foot has improved from 6/10 last year to 9/10 this year.
Hope this helps!

Its been a year since my surgery and the pain is still bad. So you have noticed a positive change. do you have a day of pain free.