I somewhat understand the role of vitamins in our diets but what is the role of minerals ?
Do minerals have the same effect as vitamins or no? What are the main minerals our body needs and which foods contain most of these minerals?
Minerals and vitamins work in conjuction to make your body healthy.
Most common and important minerals are:
- Calcium - Builds bones , teeth. lowers the risk of osteoporosis, it even regulates blood presure
- Iron - Iron caries oxygen troughout your bloodstream. Lack of iron might make you feel tired, dizzy, or even thinking straight
- Magnesium - Is crucial for energy production. It works together with calcium in muscle contraction and relaxation. Magnesium helps reducing blood pressure and improve heart function.
- Potassium - Some call it electrolyte. Interacts with sodium and chloride. You need potassium after hard exercise and sweating. Low potassium results in fatigue and muscle weakness.
- Zinc - Works in cell growth and development, immune system, neurological development. Vision, smell, taste and healing wounds.
So , yeah, minerals are kind of important for your body. Make sure you consume them enough; moreover, make sure you get them trough food rather than buying some 5 in 1 solution at pharmacy.
Strong bones and teeth, nerve function, muscle contraction, blood clotting.
Minerals have different effects as vitamins in the human body but both are essential for your health and life.
Vitamins are organic and minerals are inorganic substances.
Examples of minerals you need: potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, iodine, manganese, copper, selenium, zinc, etc. If you are healthy and eat regularly, you usually do not need to think how much minerals you need, you also don't like need mineral supplements.
One of the most common mineral deficiencies is iron deficiency, especially in women vegetarians, who lose blood (and hence iron) with menstruation and do not get iron from meat. Iron is necessary to form hemoglobin, which carries oxygen through the blood.
After a period of irregular eating or starvation (alcoholism, anorexia nervosa..), potassium deficiency is common. Muscle weakness, cramps, tingling and nausea are typical symptoms.
Examples of foods high in minerals:
- Meat: iron, vitamins B
- Bread, dairy: calcium
- Sunflower seeds: selenium
- Fruits: potassium
- Whole grains: magnesium