I have been finding some (very little) information on thyroid disease causing muscle spasms, muscle and joint pain, along with muscle weekness and fatigue.
Is there anyone out there who has experienced this?
I have been hypothyroid for 18yrs now. About 7yrs ago I started developing severe muscle spasms in my jaw and upper neck. As time has progressed the spasms and pain has moved farther throughout my body. It was affecting my right side only...now it's moving to my right.
I have had several surgeries, been to numerous doctors, had numerous test and therapies with no results. My pain is so severe I cannot work nor can I do anything that exerts my muscles for any legnth of time.
Anyone ever experienced this?
I'm running out of hope, dreading the thought that at 48 this is my new so called life. Any help or info I'd be extremely grateful for.
Thanks.

if I were you, I would have some real blood tests done to determine, whether your hypothyroidism is adequately treated. For excellent information on what to look for when hypothyroid, please read www.stopthethyroidmadness.com . If your thyroid function is only measures by TSH levels, it is nearly for sure that you are undertreated.

Personally, what helped me with muscle stiffness was having sauna therapy with transdermal magnesium (see http://www.scribd.com/doc/3082450/magnesium-for-life ). I go to my home built infra red sauna and after 15 minutes when my body warms up I put on a 22% magnesium chloride solution all over my body and sit in the sauna for another 10-15 minutes. After that I have a shower. Magnesium chloride can be bought at chemical supplies as well as you can look for "magnesium oil" if you are from UK or USA. It is a bit more expensive, but natural. If you´re going to hit the magnesium chloride thing, make sure do buy "p.a." quality, i.e. the highest chemical purity available. Don´t expect overnight results. In my case it took a week of such practise to gradually get rid of a muscle cramp in my lower back that was for years resistant to any kind of streching, heating or anything. Also, my muscle performance increased and all of this happenned even though my hair tissue mineral analysis magnesium levels came back totally fine (for more, see arltma.com, drwilson.com, http://www.radianthealthnow.net/ ).

For information on how you can build an infra red sauna that is dirt cheap compared to commercially sold ones, visit http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/sauna_therapy.htm and http://www.buildaninfraredsauna.com/ . I just found out, that placing the bulbs in a vertical line instead of a triangle, covers a larger part of the body so it is more effective.

Good luck!

I think you should really be careful! This right side paralysis, i read about it being a symptom of Hashimoto's Encephalopathy. Its an endocrine problem, and on this website they talk more about it:
thyroid-info.com/articles/hashimotos-encephalopathy.htm
I hope that helps you.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Suffering from thyroid disease for almost twenty yrs now I have never heard of this. I will bring it to my doctor's attention at my next visit.

Do you know anyone who suffers from this?

While I have some of the mentioned symptoms I do not have them all. My biggest issue appears to be my muscles spasming, tighting up and after about 2 hrs of physical activity I'm literally exhausted.

Six weeks ago I had a thyroid anti body test and a spinal tap. I go to the doctor next week to learn the results. The article made it sound like these test should show certain things that would lean toward Hashimoto Encephalopathy. I will feel truly blessed if this is it and I could get my life back to normal. I'm so tired of hearing "nothing is wrong with you" and suffering.

Once again thank you.

To the lady who has been suffering with severe joint and muscle pain from Hypothyroid, I have one word for you SELENIUM!! This is the miracle that your doctor has not told you about and it relieves just about all your muscle and joint pain. If you have hypo or hashimoto's disease you probably have Fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome. This got rid of all my symptoms. I take 2 high grade selenium a day. You will notice a difference in a couple of days. The problem with hypothyroid is that your body does not replicate selenium like it is supposed to thus causing the joint and muscle pain. Read up on this I get my vitamins from and I get the thyroid helper it has a high does of selenium in it. I hope this helps you.

Muscle pain, twitching, loss of muscle strength, aching/pangs in muscle and joints, are definitely symptoms that can accompany Low Thyroid.  Switching from the synthetic thyroid to the natural pig hormone "Armour Thyroid" can make a big difference with some folks - alleviating much of these symptoms.  But, sometimes these symptoms are more from low potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, or vitamin D.  Low Thyroid and synthetic thyroid replacement can cause a mal-absorption of these important elements.  Ask your doctor to run a blood test to determine if you have a vitamin D, calcium, potassium and magnesium deficiency.  I switched to Armour Thyroid because Synthroid began to cause me great muscle pain and twitching, and irregular heart beats, as well as a feeling of fogginess and exhaustion after taking it for 1 1/2 years.  My thyroid levels were controlled on it, but I began to develop increased symptoms; essentially, the drug was not being eliminated from my body and building up!  Also, my physician discovered I was low in all those elements, including vitamin D.  She said synthetic thyroid meds can cause a depletion of those elements.  So I began taking organic supplements and switched to the Armour Thyroid and within 2 months all symptoms were resolved.  Today, I'm back to swimming 20 laps non-stop 2 x wk, and running 2 miles non-stop 3 x wk, with no muscle or joint pain during or after  exercise.  I lost 7 of the low-thyroid weight gain pounds I was told I'd never lose.  In summary: Have your blood checked for vitamin, mineral, and electrolyte deficiencies, and consult your physician to determine if switching to Armour thyroid would benefit you.  God bless.

I have hashi condition and for 8 years i have suffered cramps throughout my body,until now.I put myself on a fat free diet,eating organic foods ,plenty of fruit and nuts,and regular swimming and walking.I also increased my drinking of filtered water to 2-3 litres of water per day.The weight has reduced,cholesterol has reduced and my fittness level has increased,and my blood pressure is excelent according to my doctor.I also grow my own organic veges in which i eat raw.I hope this information is good for you as well

I would like to know which high grad selenium you are taking.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Omgoodness, I really hope selenium helps. Do you take armour because I also read armour is supposed to help with muscle pains.

You could be low on potassium. Drink 33oz bottle of Pedialyte (found with baby food) over two days, with lots of water. Bananas and low sodium V8. See if you feel better.

I have been hypothyroid and on levo for 6 years. Had chronic back pain most of this time. I was switched to armour and my pain just disappeared literally overnight. I was in severe pain before and it has been life changing. Maybe it's the T3....