My daughter is 19 and she is anorexic. She is having sessions with phychiatrist but I would also like to know what I could add to her nutrition, vitamins or something else? What is that anorexic people lack?

Anorexic people are at risk for vitamin and mineral deficiency. This may lead to cognitive difficulties such as poor judgment or memory loss and other psychiatric conditions. It would be very wise to add multivitamins with minerals especially calcium. They lack most vitamins B2 (riboflavin) and B6 (pyridoxine). You don’t have to give her any additional supplements, a simple dietary change would be enough.

Noto - Have you ever been anorexic? I am suffering from this disorder as I type. As I am older (MUCH older) than this 19 year old, I have a BA from a highly accredited and well-known state college and Master's Level coursework. This is necessary to say NOT as bragging, but to show that I am not your "typical" anorexic. I am older, a mother, educated, and have a lot of real-world experience. This disorder can effect ANYONE.

I KNOW that what I'm doing is a form of control, that it can kill me (thus leaving my three children motherless and my husband wifeless - again), that it is making me weak and moody - That I NEED to change it.

I, too, am in therapy trying to get help. The problem is that a "simple dietary change" is just not as simple as you have made it out to be. Recovering anorexics fight these constant feelings of inner turmoil and conflict. While we are fully aware that we need to make a change, we also still have the feelings of absolute terror of "getting fat" again (I was 258 lbs and a size 22-24 about 2 years ago - I am now 123 and a size 2 and continue to lose immediately after I gain anything).

The point is that we ARE trying to get better and NEED something to help us in the meantime. Over-simplifying it does not help us - Answers to our questions about what we need to help us become stronger during recovery DO.

Please do not judge us, as you have NO IDEA the things that lead us to become this way - Sexual and physical abuse, parental neglect (I am not in any way saying this is the case of the 19 year old girl - This is MY experience, and the story of so many others), social pressures, spousal pressures (without the spouse even knowing), the difference in the way we are treated in public (try being obese for a couple of years, notice how people ignore and walk over you. THEN lose over 120 lbs and notice the difference - People holding doors, smiling at you and your children, talking with you in public...) - The list goes on and on...

When people ask for help, just HELP. DO NOT insert your own opinion. Usually you will realize that it makes it much more simple then it actually is.

If you are anorexic and reading this - PLEASE get help... It WILL steal your life away.

Shickle... I appreciate your response beause I'm dealing with food issues myself.

However, the question wasn't directly answered. What vitamins and nutrients should anorexics take?

i'm anorexic myself, and i take iron supplements (because i developed anemia. this one isn't that helpful unless you have low iron levels), Calcium, Zinc, Magnesium, and a gummy multi vitamin every day.
Hope I helped :-)

Really they need the counseling and to start to be able to eat again... Many nutrients in multi vitamins will not help because they are fat soluable. They need fat that is not being takin in from the diet of an anorexic

I am a 15 year old girl and I weigh 85lbs and 5'5... I would also like any information on vitamins I could take, and could anyone tell me my bmi? thanks 

a good vitamin supplement would one of the 
One A Day  vitamins. 

Your BMI is: 14.1
Target weight range: 111.2 - 150.2 lbs

Hi SHickle,

I know this is a little late and that you may not get the opportunity to read this, but as a recovered anorexic with persistent appetite problems, anxiety issues and disturbed sleep and various other patterns as the added complications, I just want to thank you for mirroring my feelings in that well thought out post. I have suffered from eating problems since the last years of high school and for years understanding was scarce as common mentality was that tackling eating disorders is just a case of following a few simple rules. Oddly enough, parents think that they can shout the disorder out of you! Having a lack in support hurts, especially if this lacking is coming from your own family. If doctors fail to effectively help you, this is another blow that makes recovering from successive disappointments very difficult. Living with an eating disorder is difficult and has surprised even me (I have always perceived myself as mentally strong) and completely overturned many of my previous thoughts and beliefs and (if I may be so drastic to say) even affected my entire thought framework. I am still on treatment, as I just want to have strength to do the stuff I love (read, be creative, enjoy summer afternoons with a bit o' wine :))) and learn new things (start up a new hobby, skill, like snowboard etc. lol). Eating disorders DO steal your life away and living with an one is a constant struggle with social stigma and social pressures attached. I like how you emphasised the hypocrisy of society. The battle can be tiring but there are little victories to be had so keep strong hun, do things you love, reward yourself, keep positive and keep willing. x

For those that want supplements try a daily a-z multivitamin. Zinc is helpful but you should really get your source of zinc from baked beans and if you can manage, eggs (which also contain biotin for hair plus the all-valuable protein which is much, much better than vegetable protein). Vitamins and minerals from food is absorbed the best. Supplements are poorly absorbed and are not always in the best forms. Notice how your pee frequently goes yellow after a supplement. Much of it is merely passing through (p.s. do not take more than one as this can be dangerous and you do not want to intoxicate yourself and potentially harm yourself long-term. My brother did that as some minerals may have been much more readily absorbed than others).
Hope everybody gets better x

Vites are good. You can take extra iron supplement but that is in a multi vitamin as well. If you are suffering from anorexia, I can see why he wants you to take the extra iron, but how is he treating your anorexia or what are you doing about it ?

My daughter is anerexic she won't eat , but she will let me give her a multivitamin is that a good start to get her back ! She is 17 yrs old , please she needs help ,

Thank you for putting the struggle of the annorexic right, im a recovering after my father died and beaten up at work, my daughter is going thru the struggle, bullying at school since reception, her fathers verbal abuse, i was looking thru this to get a good supplement so on the days she crumbles n her body dismorphia takes over n stops eating, least i can make sure her body wont crumble too, i use immunace extra , but im not sure if its got all she needs , i understand you ,your not alone

Well to me your daughter is in need of multivitamins.what is multivitamins you'r asking?its two vitamina combined like riboflavin