Are Vitamin supplements any good? I am a picky eater. I also eat too many unhealthy foods and I was thinking I should get myself some Vitamin supplements. Are multivitamins helpful?

Hi. Vitamin supplements are good, I guess, if you need them. Too much Vitamin can be a problem. I took too much Vitamin D and I was vomiting all the time. I have even lost some weight, because I couldn`t eat. It won`t hurt you if multivitamin has 100% of the recommended dietary allowances. Body absorbs 10-15% of the nutrients in a pill. Human body prefers to take Vitamins and minerals from whole foods, so better start eating fruits & veggies.

Vitamin supplements are a necessity in my life. I have restrictions on potassium, sugars, sodium, and carbohydrates. Seven years ago I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. I weighed 360 pounds. I started taking vitamin supplements and drastically changed what I was eating. My weight gain was mostly fluids. At that time I could stop eating and still gain weight. My body was retaining most of the fluids I was drinking in an effort to make more blood in order to give me more oxygen. Anyway. Since then I have lost over 170 pounds, due in part because of vitamin supplements. I did a lot of research and learned what exactly my body needed that it wasn't getting. Once I knew what I needed I bought supplements to provide me with my body's needs. I take approximately fifteen supplements daily and exercise regularly. I feel younger, stronger and healthier. My advice would be to know what your body needs. Don't take a vitamin just to be taking a vitamin. Start with a good multivitamin. Good luck.

Choose a multivitamin rather than a high dose of any single vitamin. Make sure that it contains at least 200 micrograms of folate (or 400 micrograms for women who are or may become pregnant).5

Avoid taking supplements that contain just one or two specific vitamins or minerals unless your doctor or state-registered dietitian has advised you to. This is because vitamins and minerals work in harmony and an excessive amount of just one can impair the absorption or effectiveness of others. Correct balance is important. There may also be a risk of overdosing. Supplements sometimes contain over ten times the level of vitamins that we need.

A single multivitamin will never supply your body with its' total needs. That is why specific supplements are required. This is a simple fact.

I've been taking vitamin supplements for many years, but not everyone needs them. Find out what you need from a nutritionist. That way you'll get the best benefits.