Hello! I have been fighting hepatitis B for some time. My husband gives me all the support and I really don’t know what I should do without him. Our plan is to have children as soon as my health condition allows. Actually, we were just discussing this between the two of us; there is still a serious conversation with my doctor. I need to reduce the risk to minimum. I don’t know how Hepsera affects pregnancy and I don’t know if I have to stop with treatment during my pregnancy. Is there a monitoring of the fetus of pregnant women exposed to hepsera?

Hello! The problem is that there are no adequate studies in pregnant women to show the effect of Hepsera on fetus or on transmission of the virus from mother to the baby. Reproduction studies were done on rats. When Hepsera was given orally no embryotoxicity was found but when given intravenously the incidence of fetal malformations was increased. Of course animal studies are not predictive for humans. Your doctor has to carefully consider all the risks and benefits. And for your information there is a pregnancy registry to monitor fetal outcomes of pregnant women exposed to Hepsera, I think that their n umber is 1-800-258-4263. Good luck!