Hello! I am in my fifth months of pregnancy and everything has been just fine. I go regularly to visit my gynecologist (once a month) and I hope everything will be OK. But something worries me. I had this terrible toothache yesterday and took one ibuprofen and it really helped. Maybe I did wrong. I wasn’t thinking how ibuprofen could affect my baby. Does ibuprofen affect the fetus generally?

Hi! Don’t worry; one ibuprofen couldn’t harm your baby at all. But, I understand your concern. It is completely normal for all pregnant women. Since ibuprofen is non-steroid anti-inflammatory it should be avoided especially in late pregnancy because it may cause premature closure of the ductus arteriosus. Since there are no well controlled studies in pregnant women it should be used only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus.