I have one friend that likes to smoke marijuana for a few years already. I was trying to stop her, but she didn’t want to accept my advice to stop it. She keeps thinking that is just plant, that doesn’t affect on her life badly. Lately I saw in her room something new, Atenolol. I am worried if that is another drug because she started to act strange lately, so I think maybe those two in accompanied use affect bad to her.

Atenolol is a beta adrenaceptor antagonist, or more commonly known as beta blocker. They are comparative inhibitors and interfere with the action of stimulationg hormones on beta adrenergic receptors in the nervous system. Atenolol works by competing for receptor sites on, in atenolol’s case, cardiac muscle. This slows down the strength of the heart’s contractions and also reduces its oxygen requirements and the volume of the blood it has to pump. Hypertension or high blood pressure may be treated with Atenolol because of their ability to increase diameter of blood vessels. Marijuana effects with decreasing oxygenation of the blood, so organs need more blood to supply enough oxygen to the cells. For now, bad effects of Atenolol is using with marijuana are not known and studies didn’t show us need to any increased care using both of those. Her strange behave might be caused only by marijuana, because it is known depression, anxiety and personality disturbances have been associated with marijuana use. A research demonstrates that marijuana has potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person’s existing problems worse.

And the misinformation about marijuana continues to flow... depression? personality disorders? Sounds like someone has bought the government line hook, line and sinker.

For a review of the ACTUAL scientific research concerning marijuana and its effects on humans, please consult "Understanding Marijuana... A New Look at the Scientific Evidence" by Mitch Earleywine, published in 2002 by the Oxford University Press.

The difference between what the US Government, and the DEA in particular, wants you to believe, and what science actually knows, is startling. For instance, there are real studies that show that marijuana PROTECTS against dpression and the brain damage that results from the chemicals secreted in the brain as a result of it. Interesting, no?

HI,

I ran across this page as I was browsing on the web. I have a family member that has been on atenolo for a while and his life has changed dramatically since taking it. Before taking this drug he road his bike 40 miles a day at the age of 74 he is now 76. He has always been an athlete since he was a young man. He still is very* young for his age, but has had awful side effects that are making life very hard. He does half the things he once did before he was prescribed this drug and, complains now how old he feels.
His doctor prescribed atenolo because of scar tissue on his heart and his active life style. The scar tissue came about from a blast from an air raid attack bomb that hit the house next to his in World War Two. He was just a small boy and the blast stopped his heart. He has lived with this malformed tissue his whole life and has never had a problem. This drug has made him feel for the first time in his life that he has a heart problem.
Atenolo side effects:Anxiety; constipation; decreased sexual ability; diarrhea; difficulty in sleeping; drowsiness; dryness of the eyes, mouth, and skin; headache; nausea; nervousness; stomach discomfort; tiredness; or weakness.
Why is marijuana demonized when the side effects of prescribed drugs on the market today are much much greater. How many drugs have been on the news for killing a person or many people, and deemed safe from the FDA? If atenolo was a drug that was made illegal and marijuana was prescribed for it's benefits then the story would be completely different. We are told these drugs are safe and marijuana is not. My grandfather almost died from a blood thiner he had been on for years. We were told it was safe and it wasn't. Marijuana hasn't killed one know person in history.
I do agree your friend should not smoke marijuana with* this drug. Smoking with this prescribed beta blocking drug will probably make some of atenolo's side effects much worse. If you do ask your friend to not do drugs tell her to get off of atenolo.

Please educate yourselves

~EB

Actually you have it completely backwards. Some of the main side effects of atenolol include changes in mood and behavior, and even depression. Both atenolol and marijuana can be used to treat hypertension, but atenolol can also cause upset stomach, sleeping problems, nausea, and headache (all of which marijuana can help offset). My guess is that your friend was prescribed atenolol for hypertension and needs to use marijuana to help deal with all the side effects. I wouldn't be too worried about your friend though.

marijuana can cause hypertension and tachycardia-

my proof is that it does so in me. About a 20 over 10 change in BP and at least 20 bpm pulse rate change, sometimes more.

Tachycardia is a common effect of marijuana. Anyone taking atenolol should discontinue marijuana use IMO.

My housemate takes massive doses of anything that is prescribed to him. One day he fell on the tub.
He says he has ADD and Bipolar disorder and the medicine is to control it. Thing is that he has even gone to take my medicine! All of my painkillers are gone!He also took all my SOMA , I had it for neck pain but did not take for it made me nauseaus, when I went to see was gone.
I know when he took massive doses because his speach changes, he looks pale, he starts going all over the place, making a mess, he does not sleep.
I found a prescription of hydroconone was given to him March 23, today April 7 is absolutely gone. Atenelon, on the 23 and it is gone. Another one cyclobenzaprine was given to him yesterday and is gone . Lamotrigine was given on the 7th. Today 8th has 15 pills on it, he makes packets for daily use for the month too and has tons of over the counter pain medicine too.
He goes to doctors and to the pharmacy every week.
I am afraid one day I find him dead in his room. He REALLY abuses it!
What should I do? I worry but do not want to interfere that much. Should i contact his family? I mean I am only a housemate, do not know him that much. Crazy doctors that prescribe medicine to him!

As a regular taker of atenolol for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, I have seen my weight go from a healthy size 14 to a near on 22 in 2 yrs. Marijuana helps me with pain relief and saves me consuming a box of 50/500 co-codamols every month and also takes away the need for sleeping tablets. I smoked it regularly and stopped due to "bad press" of it, then my weight increawsed no end and my GP also says it is better than the pain killers and sleeping tablets and would have recommended me for clinical trials if I was in the right postcode. I do think atenolol is a massive contributer to weight gain and sexual repressiveness as I have first hand experience and also going thro dermotology for dry blistering skin... Side effects with this medical drug are powerful and my hair has never looked so bad. I take 75mg daily.

hi

I have SVT which is supraventricular tachycadia. Sounds worse than it is i assure you. basically its a rapid rhythm of the heart which involves an accessory pathway. Basically in common terms kind of palpitations I would call them. They're not normal palpitations because I have them too occasionally as do thousands of other people everyday. I am on Atenolol and it does nothing but make me not have the "palpitations". I have no side affects other than possibly being a bit lethargic but being who i am i am still unsure if its because i have never been an active person. I do know that before taking the Atenolol I used to get my "palpitations" about 3 times a day spreading between 2 mins and 20 and just before i started taking the tablets i began getting light headed and faint which is what made me decide to go on the meds. It is not a "drug" other than for medical reasons and is prescribed.

I couldn't say if your friend is on the drug in relation to the weed but i have to say that when being on weed twice before I didn't even notice anything different being on the atenolol and then the next time it made me quite sick because the tablet slows your heart rate and so does the weed! not a good combo.

I honestly think you should just ask your friend why she's on the medication because what i have, i think of as nothing. it doesn't affect my everyday life. in fact the only time it does is when i forget to take it in a morning and i can feel my heart going slightly faster, as the med normally slows it down. And if i hadnt been on the med i would be used to it.

I've previously looked up whether you can smoke weed while being on the drug and i can't find anything that is scientically researched on it.

Just to be clear i am not disagreeing with those people who say that the atenolol has bad side affects on them because i know from the info in the box that people do have them. But i do think sometimes it is easier to blame the medication than look at the facts.

I take atenolol for migraine and have done for about a year, I have smoked weed regularly for many years and have previously found that it used to be the one thing to take away the pain, but last year i had a few months of having migraines probably 5 days out of 7 and wanted many times to end my life as it felt like my head might explode eventually anyway. after a few visits and a couple different drugs tried,my doctor prescribed atenolol.. and i havent looked back. if i miss the tablet for 2 days (which sometimes happen because im forgetful - surely the marijuana) then the nausea sets in and the pain begins. I have just come across this page because in the last 2 months i have fainted twice.. i lack energy, have heart palpitations and although a lot has happened personally lately i feel constantly a crushing sadness which is really unlike me. havent been back to a doctor as yet but did go and have my eyes tested and the optician says i probably lack iron and protein as im a vegetarian, and atenolol is too strong a drug to rely on if i dont have to... im not keen on having too much chemicals in my body anyway,so have bought protein shakes and iron supplements and hearing more about atenolol on this page bothers me alot... is it just me or most doctors dont actually want to take the time of day to figure out the cause? i wasn't aware that atenolol lowers heart rate, i have a heart murmur and am pretty sure i shouldn't have been prescribed something which affects my heart rate at all? we are all very different and drugs work differently for different people but let this be a lesson to you all to not rely on your doctors word and do your own research..

i'm welling to participate in this search, i have been smoking weed and 2 king can of beer a day for past more than 2 years, i think i need help, i work everyday 7 days a week, 8 to 9 hours a day i think i need some sort of heart listner device which is recording my heart beat, i think i should get one

Finally...someone who isnt an uneducated government tainted mor-on. Thanks for finally educated people. Much appreciated mate.

Hey! I take atenolol every day to lower my heart rate. I also smoke weed on occasion. Neither hurts me, and my heart condition is severe. There are little joys in life. Moderation in everything, but it's not your life, so back off?

Simply inhaling smoke may cause BP problem? I am wondering about alternate methods to consuming pot.

f**k off. Thanks.