My daughter is 13 years old and she has just been diagnosed with asthma. Unfortunately, we could not cal her breathing problems, the situation got complicated and now she has t take medicament therapy. Doctor recommended two meds, Salbutamol and Albuterol, and I would like to know what is the difference between those two.

salbutamol and albuterol are beta2-adrenergic agents that act as bronchodilators!

These are simply different names for the same medication, a short-acting β2-adrenergic receptor agonist used as a bronchodilator in conditions such as asthma.

The US Adopted Names Council names generic medications in this country, and assigned the name "albuterol" to the identical medication referred to as salbutamol outside the US. Salbutamol is the name assigned by the World Health Organization (International Proprietry Name, or INN). Albuterol (USAN) = Salbutamol (INN)

names of the same molecule. no difference

Albuterol is the medicine doctors give you but the generic form is
callled Salbutamol.

Salbutamol is not a beta blocker - beta blockers have the opposite effect of reducing sympathetic activity. Bronchodilation is a sympathetic action, thus salbutamol is an adrenergic agonist (not blocker).

As dougmorgan said, they are the same drug with different names depending on where they have been marketed. Re knowitall: I think you are slightly confused. Salbutamol/albuterol are both the generic form, Ventolin is what it is often trade named as.

There are different answers below. Some say Albuterol and Salbutamol is the same, others say it differs. Albuterol by prescription in the US is about $250. I have been getting Sacrysyt Salbutamol inhalers in Mexico for about $9 or Glaxo Smith Kline Ventolin in Mex for about $28. For me, all of them seem to work about the same.

In Algodones,Mexico just outside of Yuma, Arizona you can get a 3 pack of Salbutamol for 6 dollars. I go down there and get 10 - 3 packs for my me and my daughter and they don't question it at the border.

Whenever u r in doubt ask ur doc and internet will give u different opinions. Well both are same.

Been getting Ventolin from UK for $20,100mcg 200 doses

Dear harris1657, you are mistaken about Salbutamol being Beta blocker, Salbutamol is short acting B2- adrenergic receptor agonist, these receptors when activated they cause bronchodilation, they can't be Beta blockers,
Pharmacy Undergraduate

Ventolin is the brand name of salbutamol, which is the WHO
(World Health Organization) recommended name for the medication.
Unfortunately, in the US this same drug is called albuterol,
leading to endless confusion.

bibz is right

bibz is right