my dad was diagnosed with angina pectoris two years ago and his cardiologist first had him on propranolol which wasn’t too effective, but once he changed him to atenolol his angina got much better and he didn’t have any pain attack for almost a year.

After his last angina pain attack, his cardiologist switched his atenolol for nicorandil and so far it seems to be as effective as atenolol. I’ve read that it’s relatively common for atenolol and nicorandil to be used at the same time, so I’m wondering what is the difference between Atenolol and Nicorandil?

first off, atenolol is medication from the group called beta blockers, while Nicorandil is vasodilatory medication that is designed to be used specifically by patients with angina. Atenolol works as ba medication for lowering the blood pressure by slowing down the heart, while Nicorandil widens the blood vessels, so it's easier for the blood to be distributed across the body.

There is a study comparing how effective atenolol was versus nicorandil specifically in people with stable angina, and the results showed they are about equally efficient in preventing angina symptoms.