My husband had an ACL repair 6.5 years ago, and a cadaver part was implanted. Shortly after the surgery he experienced stiffness in both his hips. He continued to manifest seemingly unrelated symptoms (stiffness, slowness, speech problems, swallowing problems, personality changes, loss of fine motor skills, loss of balance, falls, lack of facial expression, and so much more). The doctors first told us (in 2008) that he had Parkinson's, ALS, MS or Myasthenia Gravis. He was treated twice for Parkinson's, with no success, and the other disease options (ALS, MS and MG) were also ruled out, as were all forms of Parkinon's Plus Syndromes. He later developed autoimmune hyperthyroidism (Graves Disease). He continues to worsen.

We have seen specialists all over Chicago, and at Mayo Clinic, but they are all stumped as to what he has. Two doctors recommended having the implant removed but admitted it was a shot in the dark, as there are no studies to suggest that could be at the root of his movement disorder and autoimmune problems.

Has anyone out there ever had a similar response, or heard of someone responding in a similar way to an ACL repair related implant? Has anyone had an autoimmune reaction to an ACL repair?

Thank you! Laura

I have had similar issues with no success at getting any answers from Dr's. I had my ACL surgery in 2008. I had little quirks that didn't seem right but put it down to aging until 2011 when my ears started ringing and developed light headedness. I was screened for MS for about 1-1/2 years. 3 MRI's of the brain and spine, multiple EMG's and a handfull of evoked potential tests later they finally did a spinal tap and that was negative as well. I still function but the stiffness, pain, and my declining stamina are disconcerting. I asked a Dr. if my cadaver ACL could be the cause and he scoffed at the notion. I pursued Lyme disease to no evail as i tried to get the doctor to send my blood to Igenex in California as they are supposed to have the most sensitive test in the country. Honestly, you have seen everyone else, go and see a Lyme literate doctor. regular doctors will scoff at this idea as well and you will have to get a referal from and ILADS website. Lyme mimics every disease you mentioned and they bore into tissue where they are invulnerable to your immune system and anti-biotics. there is no 100% definative tests that can rule out Lyme or a co-infection so the cadaver screening process is not conclusive. Your husband may have already been infected and the sugery caused his immune system to tank and then the disease kicked into gear as i believe is the case with myself. if you found anything out in the last year i would please like to know. Thank you and may god bless you both!

My son had the cadaver ACL implant this past January (2014) and within about 8 weeks begin experiencing symptoms similar to what has been described as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Prior to the procedure, he had boundless energy. The situation is adversely affecting his work, physical fitness activities, everything. He has consulted with a number of specialists and has had numerous medical tests but no one has a diagnosis. It is a very frustrating situation.

I am concerned about my acl repair. Months after I an now developing hives all over my body, body fatigue and other weird issues I never had before. I had a cadaver part put in too.

I had an ACL repair in 2013, and have not been the same since. I have hypothyroidism/Hashimotos, Along with a whole slew of other medical problems. I was a healthy person before this.

I asked the same question at Mayo recently, and it was readily dismissed. About 8 years ago, I had a gum graft with cadaver tissue. I now have been diagnosed with Sjogren's, Hashimoto's, Vitiligo, Raynaud's, small fiber neuropathy and hydrohidrosis. The symptoms were all over the map for awhile, and dx was difficult, but now I'm beginning to recognize that the troubles seem to have started then. Unfortunately, it was also a time of high stress, so the drs attribute it to that or some unknown environmental factor. But I'm unconvinced...perhaps it will take enough of us pressing the issue before they'll take it seriously.

Hi Laura .. I received an ACL from a cadaver in 2011 and have now been diagnosed with Primary Myelofibrosis witch has symptoms similar to what your husband had..Extreme pain in my hips..My white bood cell count went to 24000 and then back to 14000...I am in the bginning of this diagnosis so I dont have anything further to add....Brenda 

_removed_