I had my gallbladder out in 1991 and have been totally fine EXCEPT if I should take anything containing codeine. Last Tylenol with codeine I took was 9 years ago and it gave me an attack of the same pain as my gallbladder attacks. I was told it was a sphincter of Oddi spasm due to the codeine. I havn't taken it since and fortunately havn't needed any pain killers. I am scheduled for a hysterectomy at the end of June and it occurred to me that I might be in trouble with regards to postoperative pain relief. I plan to discuss it with my surgeon and the nurse at the hospital at my preop appointment, but havn't done that yet. My husband just had a surgery Friday and has an Rx for liquid Tylenol with codeine. I had 3-1/2 hrs worth of dental work today and was hurting so I decided to kill two birds with one stone. I took dose of his medicine for my mouth and also as a little test to see if I still had the problem. Sure enough, same thing tonight... Two hours of off and on colicky right upper quadrant pain. So I'm wondering what on earth I will be able to use, if anything, for my postoperative pain after my surgery? They usually give morphine in the patient controlled analgesia pump. Is there another class of pain killers I could take, is there something that can be done to cure this before my surgery, or will I just be issued a box of nail to bite on? I hate to undergo anything drastic because this ONLY happens if I ingest codeine like narcotics, yet on the other hand, it's hard to go through life unable to address pain issues as they come up.

I too have sphincter of oddi dysfunction. I ended up having surgery twice to correct the issue but still get mild pain from drugs like codeine. I found that Percocet works well.

wordwizard wrote:

I suffer from SOD as well Ive stopped taking anything with morphine base or codine and now use angina spray under the tongue when I have an attack I was also recommend pethadine.
Im waiting to have a endoscopy and may been having a stent put in I had a hystercomy last year and was on tramadol and gallbladder out in feb discovered the tramadol made the SOD worst. Good luck

What eventually happened? What post op medication did you have for the pain?