I'm taking myself off of morphine because I can't stand who it has made me become and I can't live my life like this anymore.  I called my doctor 3 times on Wed and Thur but they didn't call me back.  Then on sat I called his answering service and told them that i was going off of opiates.  She said that they can't disturb the dr. on weekends, so I told her I was doing it on my own and to do it as she saw fit.  It's now Sunday eve and I've already had watery eyes, yawing, sweats, shaking, diarrhea that I haven't had for 6 and 1/2 years.  So my stomach aches now and my mouth tastes terrible like the drug itself, otherwise the morphine makes my mouth and tongue taste like sand and very dry.  I don't know how many  days I have to go, at least I'm not hallucinating and having illusions anymore.

YOUR DOING THE RIGHT THING IN GETTING OFF THE MORHINE!! IT MADE ME MEAN AS HELL AND DID NOT HELP MY CHRONIC PAIN SO THEY PUT ME BACK ON MY METHADONE SO I DON'T KNOW HOW ITS IS TO WITHDRAW OFF THAT...BUT DO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE AND IT SUCKS I WISH THEIR WAS HELP OUT THIR!!!GOOD LUCK!!!

my story is published under morphine withdraw, here it is...

Tina3 weeks ago have a couple of things to say, I took morphine to get thru 7 major surgeries over a 10 year span...Yes, the drug helped w/major pain, they sarted me with 40mg of oxy a day,12 years later they were percribing me 240mg a day...i knew it was time to stop when they were wanting to install a morphine pump in my spine....i never got high, and i don/t have any urges for the drug,but my body was addicted, I quit 5 weeks ago cold turkey.....has this been hell, oh yes, first week is HELL........then the recovery starts, week 2, your only 10%better, its still bad, by the PAIN is better, you still feel as if you are dying..week 2, still dying, i/m at week 6 tommor,how do i feel, like pure sh*t, i won't lye, but looking back 4 weeks, i/m probally 25% better, am i sleeping, no,maybe 2 hour nap every 24 to 36 hours, but i taste food again, the smoke taste is gone, hop flashes, like my body and brain is on fire, my hair folicles quit hurting, but it became so bad, i bend over took shears and cut half my hair off, it can/t be on your neck.....smell, better. have gained weight, which i needed, but of course in the wrong place, but i can deal with that later, BP--better, everything is better, but i/m still very sick, i won/t/ lye, you can/t so this alone, i have a friend who moved in to help me, he waits on my hand and foot, because taking a shower all but kills me.....how long will this take, i don/t know, my doctor doesn't know, but i want this.........and i will do it,,,,,,,,its scary, very scary, take a vitamin every day, and believe or not, eat, eat, eat.........it will save you, i promise, throw the morphine in the toilet, and be strong, don/t ever let a drug do this to you again......YOU CAn, and I can do this......I will do this....even if it take what will seem like forever, it will end.......i know CAIRNDOG,IT IS HARD,HARDER THAN ANYTHING,BUT I PROMISE YOU,GIVE IT TIME,YOU CAN WIN THIS BATTLE.MY DOCTOR DID THE SAME TO ME,CUTTING DOWN WAS THE WORST THING I EVER DID,JUST GET OFF,IF YU MADE IT THE FIRST 3 DAYS,YOU CAN DO THE NEXT 60...YOU WILL HAVE ALL THE SYMPHOMS,BUT NOT THE PAIN DURING THAT TIME....I THOUGHT I WAS DYING,BUT I DIDN'T. PLEASE WRITE ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS _[removed]_ I PROMISE,IT GETS BETTER EVERY WEEK THAT PASSES.....

I'm a lil over 48 hours through an opiate wd. stick with it!! It sucks now but will be better.

don't know if you still go on here at all but i am on week 3 and really need to know how long this is going to last. losing the will now. i have a condition that keeps me in excruciating nerve pain constantly been on pretty much every med going and managed the cold turkey off them all. no matter how sh*t things got. i have been on a 75mg morphine patch and and taking 120mg of liquid morphine daily which very slightly takes the edge off. i came off the morphine because it was about to cost me my family if i didn't. but if i am honest as much as the morphine didn't really help with the pain it did make me sleep about 18hrs a day which did take me out of the pain. now i never sleep. do you think if i got sleeping tablets from the doctors that i would just be replacing one addiction with another or could this actually help get me through this. day 8 on approx 2hrs sleep now x

anything that anyone can say that may help me would be really appreciated i am pretty worried that if things don't get better soon i am just going to go back to it as i am not really doing it for myself, every other cold turkey has been because the side affects made me feel worse with no pain relief so has always been for myself xxx

many thanks sam

to cairndog over a year ago I have had wicked back pain, my spine looks like a corkscrew. They gave me morphine for 3 years and really, it eased the pain a bit but left me stupid and unable to create. I am an artist by profession and its been miserable. I decided just to stop. Had an argument with my dr. She wanted me to come to her office every day for 3 weeks and she'd give me less and less to wean me from the drug. I basically said **** you and went cold turkey. After not taking it for 2 days I got contractions in my muscles that turned my foot sideways and bent my knees backwards. I was screaming. I have never felt such wicked pain. I was afraid my bones would break. It lasted for 12 hours and each episode was preceded by vomiting or diarrhea. I lost 10 lbs in 2 days. I had only been on 60 mg.day...which is a lot less than some I've read about here. But the internal pain, inability to eat, tremors and feeling like I am about to pass out continue. I wake up each morning hoping today will be better...and go to bed at night telling my self tomorrow will be better. Sleep comes hard and in small segments. I sweat like crazy and am restless. I have ignored art commissions that should have been done by now because my hands shake so much. But I know I did the right thing. Eventually this will pass and I will feel like myself again. I thank you for your post. I came looking to see what to expect and how long this is going to last. I've gotten a better understanding from what I've read and thank you and all who have written here. It helps to know I am not alone and that there is a n and somewhere down the road. Peace to you all!!