Pleas tell me something about the differences between tramadol and morphine. I am interested in differences in strength and efficacy of these medications. Also would like to know the differences that can be made in side effects that are caused by tramadol and morphine. Can they be used in same indications? Please post. Thanks in advance.

Tramadol is effective in moderate to moderate severe pain, and morphine is stronger analgesic. At the other side, tramadol has significantly less potential of abuse than morphine and is rarely habit forming. Tramadol does not cause respiratory depression like morphine. It is recommended that tramadol should be avoided in patients with history of opiate addiction. Tramadol and morphine belong to the same class of analgesics, but have these significant differences.

CAN U TAKE TRAMDOL AND MORPHINE TOGETHER?WHAT IS THE SIDE EFFECTS?

NO it isn't a good idea to take any medication without the consent of a physician. Since both of these medicines are from the same class, the possibility of an overdose of opiates is too great. There is a reason why doctors prescribe one long acting medication instead of two. I gather from your post that you are looking to take someone else's prescription? I can certainly understand if one has no insurance and can't afford a trip to the doctor. But taking medication prescribed for someone else is first of all illegal and for good reason. It is too dangerous. In 2008, there were 20,044 deaths from prescription drug overdose. Most of it because people doubled up on their medication when their body acclimated to the prescribed dose. I used to take 120 mgs of morphine sulfate per day. I voluntarily cut the dose in half and started taking Lyrica along with 7.5 mgs of hydrocodone for my acute chronic pain. I have three titanium screws in my left shoulder, missing 3/4 of an inch of collar bone on the right, and one major back surgery that left me with a compressed L-3 nerve root. I have bone spurs all up and down my spine and I am in a great deal of pain and I have been taking narcotic pain killers since 1999. My pain levels remain a constant 4 on a scale of 1-10. Even with higher doses of medication, the pain level remains the same so I deal with in other ways. Please don't mix pain meds without a physicians' approval. The risks are too great.

I went to my doctor yesterday and he knows I am taking morphine and still told me to take Trama DOL with it. I have a lot of thoughts about this but it was given to me to replace Celebrex. Any suggestions? This would be taking morphine and tramaDOL together?????

If your doctor is recommending it then it would be okay. Just remember that there are side effects to all medications. Don't drive until you're certain as to how your body will react.

Hi there, I know that u posted over a year ago but I just wanted to say that I am here on this site with the same question as you. My reasons for asking the same thing is that when I was given Morphine tablets at our hospital it did nothing for the pain that I had at the time (extreme toothache) so when I was prescribed the tramadol I wonder if it is a better pain relief, it seems to be more helpful for the pain that I am having. Hope u got some good answers cause I read another post here suggesting u wanted to take someone elses medication. I think they were wrong to imply that.

The difference between tramadol and morphine, when it comes to tramdol, is that it has no negative side effects for people with respiratory problems. People that have thoughts of suicide are not allowed to take this drug, though, because it increases those desires to a point where action may be taken on the feelings.

TRAMADOL causes seizuries if taken incorrectly so this whole thing about no side effects is just dumb.  the best person to ask is your dr or pharmacy 

No I,m not taking someo e elzes medication, my doctor put me on both but I have changed doctors now & this one has increased the morphine but took me off tramadol

Tramadol is extremely physically addictive. Just as adictive, if not more, as any other opioid pain medication. I actually had worse withdrawal from tramadol than I did Norco.

Do morphine patches work better than tramadol?.

Yes,yes,yes that is totally true..MIT is very ruff 4 or 5 days

Tramadol makes me high and I move like a sloth. Morphine is ok. I can move around and do my stuff.

But of course the dosage is big different. Tramadol is 50 mg every 8 hours and liquid morphine is 3ml every 4 hours. Both manage my pain well.

i have been taking 400 mg of tramadol and 60mg of morphine together for many years , I saw a doctor today and she couldnt believe i had been taking both for so long i have Rheumitoid and Osteo Arthris