Hello! My mom had mugga test done 3 days ago, so I know it is used for assessing the function of the heart, and that it gives a picture of the beating heart, but I would like to know the way it works. Is there anybody who can explain this to me? Thanks in advance!

Hello! I had muga scan done a month ago. A radioactive substance, Technetium 99, is attached to red blood cells, and then are these red blood cells injected into the patient’s bloodstream. A patient goes under a special camera that can detect the low-level radiation being given off by the Technetium-labelled red cells. The red blood cells fill the cardiac chambers, the image produced by the camera is an outline of those chambers. Muga scan is especially designed to measure if a patient has had a heart attack, or any other disease that affects the heart muscle. It can find the portion of the heart muscle that has sustained damage, and assess the degree of damage as well. And, what is the most important, muga scan gives an accurate and reproducible means of measuring and monitoring the ejection fraction of the cardiac ventricles. There, I hope I helped a bit!