Good day folks. I hope that you are doing fine. Well, I am not. My husband has something that is called ejection fraction. We tried to find on the internet a little bit about it, but I didn't have any success. Also, I don't know anyone who can tell me a little bit about it. So far, I hope that this is not anything that dangerous and that it is treatable. He is not scared but I am and I don't want to tell this to him. I came here to seek for your help. Can you explain me what is Ejection fraction? Thank you very much.

Hi Aurora,

Ejection fraction is a measurement of how well the heart is pumping, specifically the left ventricle.  It is usually referenced in a patient suspected of heart failure but you can have a normal reading even with heart failure.

In a normal heart it should be between about 50 and 70.  The number means how much percentage of blood is pushed out.

His cardiologist should be able to answer your questions - insist upon it!

Good luck.

Hello there medic dan. Somehow, I was hoping that you will answer on this question to me. And thank you for this. I don't know but I am going crazy because he doesn't want to measure his pressure and his heart rates at home. He does it just when he visits his doctor, and of course he didn't told me about it, I accidental found out because nurse was calling and tell me about this. Is this very dangerous? Is there any way to treat this? Thank you for helping me!

Good day everyone. Ejection fraction (EF shortly ) is the fraction of outbound blood pumped from the heart with each heartbeat.  That is the easiest explanation. It is commonly measured by ECG and serves as a general measure of a person's cardiac function. Ejection fraction is typically low in patients with systolic congestive heart failure. This fraction is similar but distinct mathematical model when compared to stroke volume, which can, along with heart rate to determine cardiac output, which is the amount of blood the heart pumps per minute. This was explained to me by doctors and I think that this is the best explanation. Everyone can understand it.

Good day folks. It is nice to see that this discussion is going in really good direction. I am happy when I see something like that because I can learn a lot about it as well.

Now, let’s go back to the main topic.

Ejection fraction is actually a test that determines how well your heart pumps with each beat. In most cases, the term “ejection fraction” refers to left ventricular ejection fraction but it is not the case for every patient. Ejection fraction can be measured in your doctor’s office during tests such as: ultrasound of your heart, cardiac catheterization and MRI scan of the heart as well.

It is very easy to understand ejection fraction. EF is a measurement of the percentage of blood leaving your heart each time it contracts. This is the best way to explain this. Now, during each heartbeat pumping cycle the heart relaxes and contracts all over again. Now, when your heart contract it ejects blood from two pumping chambers and when your heart relaxes those ventricles refill with blood. This term, ejection fraction refers to the percentage of the blood that is pumped of a filled chamber with each heartbeat. In certain cases this can decreases, but I will let your doctor to inform you about this.