Hello everyone,

A friend of mine from work called me today to tell me that she has to have a cardiac MRI done. I'm replacing her at work because she had to visit her doctor so she called me to tell me this.

I know that this has something to do with her heart because I understand the word "cardiac", but I don't know what exactly will this do and what can it show. So first of all, can anyone tell me what is the main purpose of cardiac MRI, and secondly, is it maybe dangerous and is it 100% precise?

Hey Health n Joy,

The best thing about this test, if you ask me, is that it is a non invasive test, which means that no surgery is done and no instruments are inserted into your body.

It is a very safe test, it doesn't use ionizing radiation or carry any risk of causing cancer.

This is a quite common test, it's used to diagnose and assess many diseases and conditions, such as coronary heart disease, damage caused by a heart attack, heart failure, heart valve problems, congenital heart defects, pericarditis, and cardiac tumors. All in all, it is indeed a very precise test.

I see. As far as I know, all of these conditions can be quite dangerous so my friend can be in danger. At least that is the case if it turns out that she has one of these conditions and that she had for a long period of time now, without treating it in the meantime.

At least the test itself is safe. Since her doctor told her that she has to do cardiac MRI, what do you think, what are the odds of her not having any of the conditions that you mentioned, Bee? Are there at least small chances that she is okay?

Well, there are always chances that she is okay, Health n Joy, but they are probably quite smaller than the odds of having one of these conditions.

If her doctor told her to do cardiac MRI, then she probably complained about some issues with her heart. She might have some signs and symptoms of one of these conditions and that's why her doctor told her to do it. If you look at it this way, then she probably has one of these conditions.

You are right, so I honestly hope that she went to see her doctor as soon as she noticed her symptoms.

Good day everyone.

Cardiac MRI creates both still and moving pictures of your heart and major blood vessels. Doctors or cardiologists always use cardiac MRI to get pictures of the beating heart and to look at its structure and function. These pictures can help them decide the best way to treat people who have heart problems. That is the main purpose of it. Cardiac MRI can help explain results from other tests, such as x rays and computed tomography. But also, doctors sometimes use cardiac MRI instead of invasive procedures or tests that involve radiation (such as x rays) or dyes containing iodine. 

Hello everyone. I have done cardiac MRI. It is very likely that your doctor might order a heart MRI if they believe you are at risk for heart failure or other less severe heart problems. A cardiac MRI is very common test used to assess and diagnose several conditions and several symtoms. Well, those conditions and those symptoms can be:
• congenital heart defects
• coronary heart disease
• damage from a heart attack
• heart failure
• heart valve defects
• inflammation of the membrane around the heart
The good thing is that there no are risk of taking this. It is totally safe and you don’t have to be scared about it at all.

Good day there friends.

Magnetic resonance imaging or MRI shortly is a diagnostic exam that uses a combination of a large magnet, radio waves, and a computer to produce detailed images of organs and structures within the body. MRI of the heart may be performed for further evaluation of signs or symptoms that may suggest: Atherosclerosis, cardiomyopathy, congenital heart disease and  congestive heart failure. Also, it can suggest Aneurysm, Valvular heart disease and Cardiac tumor. I believe that those are the main purposes of cardiac MRI and that every person that has heart problems should do this. Good luck there. 

Hello there.

Well, here is what you need to know and this is something that you can understand very easily. MRI is a scan that lets doctors see inside the body without having to perform surgery. The test is really painless, and uses no radiation so you are totally safe about it.Cardiac MRI is a test that gives doctors a detailed picture of the heart, including the chambers and valves, without patients having to undergo cardiac catheterization. There are no special preparations for it, and your doctor will tell you more about this as well. It is ok.Your friend is going to be ok. 

Greetings everyone.

Look, Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging always uses a very powerful magnetic field, radio waves and a computer to produce detailed pictures of the structures within the heart. It is also used to detect or monitor cardiac disease and to evaluate the heart’s anatomy and function in patients with congenital heart disease. The amazing thing is that cardiac MRI does not use ionizing radiation, and it may provide images of the heart that are better than other imaging methods for certain conditions. But before you do it you need to tell your doctor about any health problems, maybe if you had some recent surgeries and even the allergies. You should not keep this away from him. He needs to know.