Hi. My Mom was a schizophrenic. She killed herself. I know schizophrenia runs in families and that I will probably develop this disease too. I am afraid that I will kill myself some day. What to do? I don`t have any sign of schizophrenia so far. I am 25 years old.

Hi. Signs of schizophrenia usually occur in your late teens and early 20s. There is a genetic risk for developing schizophrenia, but genes alone are not the cause of this disease. Genes and environment are the main factors to develop schizophrenia. Schizophrenic people attempt suicide more often than other (normal) persons, and 10% of them succeed. It is hard to predict will people with schizophrenia attempt to kill themselves or not. But I think everybody is thinking about suicide once in their lives.

Hallo,
You have to understand that schizophrenia is very complex mental disorder that causes you to have problems in telling what is real and what isn’t. You won’t be able to think logically and your emotions will be all confused. There is no known cause of this disorder but some say that genetic factor is responsible for onset of schizophrenia. However you have to also know that schizophrenia might be treated with medication and with therapy. So you can’t give your hopes up yet. If you notice any changes in your life you should consult your doctor as soon as possible. Antipsychotics are very effective now days. I hope this eased your mind a bit and helped you in any way.

how do i get my mother to take medication or seek to a therapist?? it was after she went to a therapist that she let out all her past problems and she just became unglued... Is there a medication I could get for her that will help her???