Sorry but I admit I am completely ignorant about schizophrenia. I'm trying to do my research on it because my stepson's grandmother (the mother's mother) is a paranoid schizophrenic. The woman is bad about taking her medication. I was wondering if schizophrenia is genetic because my stepson's mother goes through extreme moodswings and many times does irresponsible/irrational things. Plus, she was on meth at one time and she may or may not be on it now, we cannot prove it thus far, we only have our fears and suspicions. Can meth bring on the onset of schizophrenia or boost it if it is genetic? If someone could educate me on schizophrenia, I'd really appreciate it, I've been trying to research it on the internet.

Hi SannaBee,

Yes, schizophrenia is genetic. There are more chances of becoming schizophrenic if it runs in ur family.

Yeah schizophrenia is genetic, but it does not mean everybody in the familiy will have schizophrenia if one of the members has. Just stop worring and think about a preventation. I mean cant you just persuade her to go to a doctor? You can tell her its not something emverresing to have some physocologic problems, i think she just should know you will always love her.