My boyfriend’s father was schizophrenic. He told me that recently. I thought he died, but the truth is that he has been missing. One day, 10 years ago he just didn’t come home. They have never heard of him again. I am worried about him since. He was always nervous and anxious. Now, I am starting to think that he may have schizophrenia too. I would like to know what causes schizophrenia and if it is inherited illness.

It is believed that schizophrenia is a combination of environmental and genetic factors. It is known that schizophrenia runs in families. Several genes, which we are inheriting from our parents, are associated with schizophrenia. Scientists currently believe that each gene has a very small effect and is not responsible for causing the disease by itself therefore it is still not possible to predict who will develop the disease by looking at their genetic material. I know that it can be difficult but if you think that he showed some signs he would need professional help, at least some consulting.