Hi. My Dad is schizophrenic. I am 21 years old and I fear that I will develop schizophrenia too. What to do? How is schizophrenia treated? Is there anyone with a schizophrenic parent?

Hi. My Mom is schizophrenic and sometimes it is unbearable. She hears voices and sometimes I can`t really understand what is she talking about. She is not aggressive, luckily. Schizophrenia runs in families, it occurs in 10% of people with a firs-degree relative with schizophrenia. This disorder is treated with antipsychotic meds and schizophrenics respond differently to them. Psychosocial treatment can be helpful for patients who are already on antipsychotic meds.

My dad talks to himself.. A LOT.. I walk into the room.. And he is talking to himself.. Possible schizophrenia?

My mother lives in an assisted living center qnd I believe she is schizophrenic. She swears someone is always above her ceiling tormenting her and spying on her. I can barely get her to take a shower because she thinks she is being watched. The medication the psyc doctor has given to her doesn't seem to be woking. It is called respitol I believe. What else should I do.

i undrstand how u feel ,my father is a schizophrenic and he is on meds for it . he seems ok and at one point he stopped and almost hurt my brother.make sure he keeps to his meds and i worry about myself developing it . but i am aware of the symptoms and feel i recognize it i will see a docotr. but dont let that fear control your life. at least there are medications that help the symptoms.

my father has been a schizophrenic all his life but was too arrogant to realize he was the one with the problem and made everyone elses life a mess.be careful with people like that whether familly or not as can be destructive,surround yourself with normality and remember to talk to other people.sanity prevails,trust me.

How dare you write something like that? Your father could not have been schizophrenic all his life from birth- it develops over time- no matter how horrible it was to have a father like that and I KNOW because my father WAS paranoid schizophrenic, homeless and completely not in reality- and it's horrible. BUT IT IS AN ILLNESS- they have NO CONTROL over it, and part of the illness is that THEY DON"T KNOW..it's not arrogant- it's illness...either determine what illness, if any, your father actually has, or understand it before you make such statements. Nothing wrong with having to get away from it to save yourself, but don't place blame on anything but the chemicals that are out of balance- not the victim. As much as you're a victim, so is the mentally ill person.

My father has schizophrenia. He was pretty normal when I was little. I still remember all the awsome times we had together. Those are the special memories I keep close to my heart. It started happening when I was around five. Little things here and there started to change. I really don't remember much of it becuase my mother tried to keep me away from it, I think. I just remember him starting to be differnet...smiling oddly, looking as if someone was talking to him when no one was actually there. The day of my birthday, the day I turned seven, my mother seperated from my father. I really didn't understand much then, but I know now it was to keep me from harm. I don't really remember what other things he did(and I don't want to either). My parents are divorced and for a long time it really didn't bother me at all. It was ok that I lived without a father for about thirteen years.I got occasional supervised visits and I got used to being without him. I'm twenty now, and up until I turned eighteen, I realized how much my father missed. How much I missed him. How much I needed him during the times while I grew up. And now everytime I think about him, I wonder how it would have been if he was normal. I haven't seen him since he came to visit me before I graduated high school. And we live in the same town!! How pathetic is that?! I just really miss my daddy, all I want is my daddy. I always wonder if he's thinking of me, and if he loves me.
All I want is my daddy back.

My father is now 63 years old and has been suffering of schizophrenia since his thirties. I am still not sure what triggered his disease, I suspect however that his father suffered from the same illness until he commited suice at the age of 53.

Just like his own father, my dad is an alcoholic (although he does not drink everyday now). It seems to me that there is a strong connection between the alcoholism and developing schizophrenia. Both diseases are somewhat genetic.

e drank a lot when I was a little boy and then a teenager (I'm 39 now) and I noticed that his behavior back then when he was drunk out of his mind resembles his schizopheric behavior now. It seems as if the disease "came out" each time he drank and then went into hiding as soon as he was sober.

With passing time, the behavioral differences between the "drunk" and the "sober" states slowly faded and now THERE ARE NO DIFFERENCES.

I've been happily married for almost eleven years and I deal with a huge problem of my own which is my infertility. And yes, I am very afraid that his disease may one day become mine.

I'd like to tell about my father's life, about what I know about it and what I was told about it by other family members but I'm at work so let me just leave it at that for now.

My father was schizophrenic, but past away last march. It is so hard to cope with this, i feel horrible because i look back at the way he use to live with. he would never sleep and always smoke, i feel horrible about and idk how to feel ugh, im so upset by this.

Look, my mom was a paranoid schizophrenic. I haven't seen my Mother since I was 1. She lives two states away from me. If you really miss you Dad, go talk to him. Make an effort to talk to them. Schizophrenia is a hard illness to live with. Since my Mother is a paranoid schizophrenic she put all these thoughts into her head about how I would feel so she would never try to contact me. Once I made the first contact we have been talking. It's an emotional roller coaster you have to be ready for because they have their good days and their bad days. I try to be as supportive as I can though and that is helping my Mom to steer away from the thoughts in her head.

imm 14 and my dad has scizophrenia. i just found out yesterday,. he lives i a boarding house and is not in relatiy at aalll what so ever..hes on a lot of different pills too but none for scizophrenia.. he wont get help he thinks nothings wrnog with him. once he told me he talked to god. . its really hard to go through seeeing him like how he is. noone understands. im happy people put stories on about it i felt like i was the only one. :/

Being Fathers Day I googled for I have a Dad whom is schizophrenic, both Mom and Dad had parnioa, I was the scapegoat since 3.
My Mother has passed my father still thinks the world is against him. After a five year ban nothing has changed, my Dad whom runs the family; is such a hyperchondract and Malignant Narcissist that the last year he has blamed me for all 20 of his job losses, and my mother starving to death, at his hands.
Yes, it is best to stay away... I had forgotten the beatings all the way up to five years ago. He is SICK; and continues to poisen others lives daily.
I love them more then myself. Spell check cant figure that out either. :!:

my mum is schizophrenic and i am twelve. i new since i was six that there was something wrong with her but my dad never told me what the disorder was called. so now as soon as i found out the name i want to do everything i can to help her and make her better. please tell me anything you you about schizophrenia.

My father is schizophrenic and refuses any treatment, I didn't live with him growing up but had almost weekly visits from him. These visits messed up my head as over the years from a young age I believed many of his delusions. Most of the times when I saw him I was alone with him so there was no one around to monitor what he was telling me. For example, that people were spying on him and that cameras were hidden in my house, including the bathroom, the people on tv and radio were talking about him, his wife was a lizard in disguise etc etc.

I would sit and watch my dad make strange hand gestures and he would tell me its was his secret language which according to him, I understood. He used to tell me vile things of a sexual nature and this left me quite disturbed as a child. He was obsessed with spirits and told me that he sends them to me to help me. I was one confused kid who slept with the light on each night until the age of 34!!

I don't know about schizophrenics not been in control, as it is the illness and not them according to some, but my dad was devious, an abuser and a violent person. At the age of 20 he began to stalk me and it dawned on me that he is too unhealthy for me to be around so I decided not to see him anymore. Convinced I was going crazy I underwent psychiatric assessment as I was sure i'd end up like him. Thankfully my mind was put at rest, but it took me around 15 years to get over the damage or I guess trauma he had caused over the years.

I have nothing to do with him now, I wouldn't subject my children to what I experienced with him. The main thing is, just because your parent has a mental illness, it doesn't mean you will develop one too. If you have been brought up to beleive in delusions it can be a while and quite taxing to undo that way of thinking, but you can do it because deep down inside you know its all fictional, just remember that.

I wish I had spoken up as a child about what my dad was saying, but he had such loyalty from me by putting me on a pedastal as though I was the only one who could be trusted that I didn't dare betray that trust. I was bribed with large amounts of money and bags bursting with sweets. He knew what he was doing, that's the hurtful thing.