I`m 15 and worried about something. I have a schizophrenia running in my family (my grandmother), and I heard that this disease is genetic. So, naturally, I was wondering, if schizophrenia is inherited... I could end up like schizophrenic also? Is schizophrenia a genetic disease?

Hi, everybody knows that schizophrenia runs in the family. Persons closely related with schizophrenic are more likely to develop this disease than other people. A kid whose parent has schizophrenia has a 10 % chance (around 1% of the general population will develop schizophrenia). Also, many diseases developed from a combination of genetic, behavioral, and other factors may be the case for schizophrenia. The scientists are investigating several regions of the human genome, trying to identify genes that could directly point on schizophrenia. And your age is critical – it`s very rare for a person to develop schizophrenia before adolescence. Here are some early signs of schizophrenia: confusing changes in behavior, psychosis, unusual thinking or speech, social isolation...