Hi, my wife had a heart attack last week and the doctor asked her if someone in her family also had heart problems. When my wife told him about her mother and grandmother who also suffered from heart disorders, the doctor diagnosed her with myacondal DNA. I never heard of this disease, and I would appreciate if you could tell me something about it.

Hi, I have this condition too. However, it’s not called myacondal DNA, but mitochondrial DNA(mtDNA). It is passed from generation to generation by the females, so it’s no wonder that your wife’s mother and grandmother also had it. It is located in mitochondria, unlike most DNA of eukaryotic organisms wich is located in nucleus. Mitochondria DNA doesn’t change too much from mother to the child, and that’s why the daughter usually has the same problem as her mother. However, the nuclear DNA changes by 50%, so it’s more unceirtan what will be passed to the child. This DNA is not dangerous until it comes to mutation, which can lead to many diseases, such as Kearns-Sayre syndrome and exercise intolerance. Fortunately, I don’t have any of those diseases, because my mtDNA has not mutated.