Hello everyone. Can you tell me what the NSTEMI actually means? It is a short term for what? I have heard my wife talking to her friend that she needs to find out is she having a risk of this, because her mom had this when she was younger. And I know that her mom had heart attack when she was younger. So I suppose that NSTEMi is a type of heart attack. I don't know what this is and I don't want to ask Amy about it because she would tell me if this was something dangerous. At least, I hope so. Is NSTEMI a type of heart attack and how it is diagnosed?

Hey there.  It is definitely that an NSTEMI can be less serious than a STEMI and that is what makes the things easier.  This is because the supply of blood to the heart is only partially, rather than completely, blocked. As a result of it, a smaller section of the heart is damaged. However, NSTEMI is still regarded as a serious medical emergency and you should definitely know this.  There are two ways to diagnose this issue - In addition to signs such as chest pain, a heart attack is diagnosed mainly in 2 ways. Firstly is a blood test that shows elevated levels of certain markers of heart damage such as cardiactroponin. Secondly is by looking at the EKG heart tracing. Good luck. 

Hey Dey,

NSTEMI is a type of heart attack. NSTEMI stands for Non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction. Sometimes an NSTEMI is known as a non-STEMI. A myocardial infarction is the medical term for a heart attack. ST refers to the ST segment, which is part of the EKG heart tracing used to diagnose a heart attack, which means that when this type of a heart attack occurs in a person, the EKG won't show that the ST segment is elevated.

Like MakeMeCoffee said, the good thing is that this is less dangerous than STEMI heart attacks, this type of heart attack is almost never fatal.

Hi everyone,

Like MakeMeCoffee said, there are two ways to diagnose this, by a blood test and by doing EKG.

The best way is by looking at the EKG heart tracing. If there is a pattern known as ST-elevation on the EKG, this is called a STEMI, short for ST elevation myocardial infarction. If there is elevation of the blood markers suggesting heart damage, but no ST elevation seen on the EKG tracing, this is known as a NSTEMI. NSTEMI may be associated with other EKG changes such as ST segment depression. Often looking at the EKG helps doctors to locate the area of the heart that is affected.

Hi Dey,

Your wife shouldn't really be worried about this, I never heard that heart attacks are something that can be passed on to the next generation and similar. I mean, the fact that her mother had this type of a heart attack doesn't make your wife prone to having heart attack at all. That is kind of stupid, truth be told.

NSTEMI is a type of a heart attack but it is the one less dangerous. I know what you mean, it still is a heart attack, yes, indeed it is, but you can trust me that this is not so dangerous as it sounds.

Well, I think that Adria has a point here, although I can also understand how people can be scared about their health, especially if there is something that can threaten their life or the lives or their loved ones.

If she happens to have this NSTEMI type of a heart attack, I don't doubt that she is going to be fine, but she will need to make some changes in her life. For example, she will have to take certain medications, she will definitely have to quit smoking if she is a smoker, and she will have to make some lifestyle changes.

Hi guys. So it is a type of heart attack but it is less serious than STEMI as far as I understand it, right? If that is true, I am extremely happy about this. I really hope that there are no some complications that can occur and change my positive attitude that I have now. I am wondering one thing as well - is there a chance that this type of heart attack can be fatal in several cases? If it can, in which cases it can be fatal? And one more thing - is really ECG the best way to diagnose it? Because if it is the best, I would definitely try to convince her to go to the ECG just to be sure. But again, she hasn't told me anything about this, why she was talking about this with her friend and why she doesn't want me to know something about it.

Good day there DeY. My advice is to talk to her and see what is going on. Maybe she doesn’t have a problem at the first place, maybe you misunderstood her words, I don’t know. But anyway, you should talk to her and if she really has a problem you can advise her to do ECG because it is the safest and the less pain procedure. She won’t even feel it. Here are some things that you should also know about this. Look, certain factors increase the risk of developing NSTEMI. Some of these are major and others are minor.

Mayor risk factors that can develop it are:

1. High serum cholesterol level
  2. Hypertension
  3. Diabetes mellitus
  4. Cigarette smoking