Hi, I would like to know more about a drug called neu rontin used for treatment of postherpetic neuralgia, as my father suffers from this disease. Thank you.

Neurontin is a drug containing gabapentin as active ingredient. It is used in treatment of postherpetic neuralgia and epilepsy. Neurontin is taken orally with or without food. Patients are usually prescribed to break the scored 600 or 800 mg tablet in order to administer a half-tablet. If they don’t take the next half in a next few days, they should discard it. If a doctor wishes to reduce a dose of Neurontin, it needs to be discontinued or substituted with an alternative medication. A minimum of one week or longer is needed for that. Precaution and regular control of patients health is certainly required, as the drug effects nervous system.