I have problems with epilepsy. I have seizures very often and doctor told me that I need to take Gabapentin as a treatment. Now I have one problem. I have a wedding in Saturday that I cant miss. There will be a lot of people from my firm and we like to drink a glass or two. What would happen if I drank alcohol while taking Gabapentin?

It would be smart to try to skip that glass this time. It is not smart to mix alcohol with any medication so the Gabapentin is not exception. What will happen? Well for example it can make you more sleepy, dizzy or lightheaded. You would not like to sleep during the wedding I presume.

Gabapentin actually can cause alcohol intolerance which i found out the hard way. skip the wine and opt for a fruit juice spritzer.

I normally can hold my own with my drinking buddies but, after being perscribed this medication for my fibro/cfs alcohol does nasty things to me even after one cocktail. trust me its no fun being at a wedding/party locked in the bathroom most of the night.

I was on the drug requip ropinol that has side effects of heavy urges for drinking alcohol and gambling i switched to neurotin and the drinking and gambling urges stopped but i tried to drink anyway and got sick after the third beer i tried twice and never tried again that was back in august of 2007 it was like i never drank before in my life severe head ache and broke out in a sweat. It made me think i was not an alcaholic but now i have to question that. The good news i cannot drink lol

I'm on Gabapentin and drink alcohol a LOT to help with pain. Otherthan tiredness next day i have no problems at all with it.

I'm on gabapentin as a mood stabilizer. I've been drinking while on it and I have no problems with it. It may be that I'm on a lower dose than for when it is prescribed for epilepsy. I'm also on an anti-depressant and the only thing I think is that I may get drunk faster, so just be careful about how much you drink b/c u may not be able to drink as much as you are used to drinking. I have found that I have more cravings for alcohol than I'm used to. I usually only drink maybe once a month and recently I've been drinking like once a week and I've been craving it and I never do. It may be for other reasons though, like I've been under a ton more stress than I'm used to. Hopefully that's all it is.

I, unforntunatey, found out the hard way too. I havent been using this drug for long and recently I had a few drinks, which is usually normal for me, and the next thing I knew I was being escorted, by the police, off my ex's property. I was seriously confused and had no memory of what had happened the previous two plus hours. When I woke up the next day I was horrified. I started wondering if it was the medication and now I know it is. This also happened about six weeks ago and thank God I was with someone who took me home and put me in bed. I woke up the next morning not remembering most of the night. I just figured I had drank too much and blew it off. Now Im scared to death to drink on this medication.

So please what ever you do dont drink while taking gabapentin and if you do, have someone you trust with you. Find out how your body is going to react before leaving your house..........

I started taking Gabapentin 3 months ago and has done wonders for my backpain(2 disc bulges in neck).
In the 5 years of pain this is the only thing thats worked,however,i was told by my doctor not to drink alcohol but he said a drink or two occasionally should not do any harm.I stuck to this advice but eventually one night had perhaps 5 or 6 glasses of wine(my usual intake before gabapentin) when i went out with friends.
I woke up the next morning in my bed with hardly any recollection of the night before,with two fractured fingers and half my hair ripped out,as well as cuts and bruises.
I was told i assaulted 3 people and was violent,malicious and damn right nasty,i was mortified and inconsolable and i havent drunk since...i just wish the people i hurt would believe it was the medication and drink combined and not because i was `p*ss*d as a rat`.My advice? dont drink on these tablets,it`s not worth it.

I take 300mg of Gabapentin only at night along with Ambien. My doctor has me taking the combination for sleep. So if I am not drinking within the same time frame as when I take my pills, should I be worried about the same possible effects everyone else experienced?

I am on a relatively low dose of Neurontin, 600mg a day. I have been avoiding drinking since then, but last night I decided to have a couple glasses of beer to see how I could handle it. I got through the first beer ok, but about halfway through the second glass, I started to feel significantly drunk and was acting silly as if I had drank like 5 or 6 beers. I got my girlfriend to take me home and I feel like c**p this morning.

So I would agree with the previous posters, its probably not a good idea to drink on this medication.

My wife just started taking this drug for fybro. Last night she had a drink for the first time while taking it. Usually, she can hold alcohol very, very well (better than me), but after two mixed drinks she was very buzzed. I didn't think much of it, and it didn't even occur to us to consider the drug as being a factor, but she then spent most of last night vomiting and feeling generally miserable. It wasn't until this morning that we put two and two together and decided to search and see if the drug doesn't mix well with alcohol. I guess it doesn't.

I started taking it this week for neuroma. Had a big night out last night and was fine.

I have been taking Gabapentin for about 7 months now.  I used to drink very frequently and had created quite a tolerance for myself.  One night during the first week of starting Gabapentin I had gone out to happy hour.  This amount was nothing for me at the time.  I "woke up" that night in the police station making phone calls to random people to get me an attorney.  I had been arrested for DUI. 

Anyway the point is that I don't remember a good 3 hours of the night.  I apparently was in someone's back yard when I was arrested (my car too).  Luckily no one was hurt or worse.  Since I am able to have a couple beers for socializing once in a while, but no more than that!  The effects seem to have gotten less potent as more time has gone by.

I stumbled upon this site looking for the medical answer for all of this... I figured I'd share my story for those that are new to taking it.  I would suggest a designated driver even if you don't intend to drink very much, and even if you are at home don't drink alone.  It's pretty scary when you can black out completely off so little!  I still don't remember anything about the 3 hours I lost.

guest wrote:Wait untill the medication kicks in...it can take weeks before you notice any difference while drinking with these tablets,i didnt notice anything the first few weeks.please dont be complacent, keep a record of how you are feeling and see if you notice anything unusual.Some people are fine and like me,some people find out the hard way.

I have been taking gaba for almost 2 years.  Started taking them because it eased the symptoms when coming off of opiates.  I never wanted to drink, as they make me feel really good being sober.  I tried drinking last week, about 6 shots, and I felt fine.  I waited 3 hours after taking the gaba to drink.  Then I took a gaba about 2 hours after my last drink, and started getting a head ache.  I didn't even think that it could be that....till I took another one about 2 hours after that....I felt like I drank a gallon of liqour.  My head hurt soooo bad, and nothing would get rid of it. 

I was thinking about drinking a glass of wine right now, so I came on to see what other people had to say about the effects of the two.