Somebody I know from work suffers from epilepsy. We have worked together for over five years now, but only last month did I witness a "grand mal" seizure for the first time. It did change my perception of epilepsy. I thought that the symptoms of epilepsy could pretty much be controlled by medication, but now I know that is not always true. Still, perhaps you could tell me what the best drugs are for epilepsy?

There are a few popular drugs for epilepsy, as well as many that are not so well known. I would say that there is no such thing as "the best drug for epilepsy", like with many other medical conditions - the best drug for one patient might be the worst drug for another. All of this depends on allergies a patient might have, side effects, and of course the basic effectiveness of a certain medication. This is by no means the same for every epilepsy patient.

The best way to determine what is gonna work best for someone is for someone to go to their neurologist and have a EEG done and then have their doctor determine what type of seizure they have then have the neurologist and patient or patients parents ( depending if the patient is a child or not) decide or determine together what might work best because the patient could be allergic to some meds or maybe have taken some medicine in the past so it might or might not work. So if I were a true friend, I would suggest to them to schedule a appointment and if I were you I would offer them a ride and ask if you could sit in on the appointment and see if you could ask questions while at the appointment so you could learn about what they have and learn how to handle the matter if it should happen around you so they can get to trust you more and you and them become better friends. Just a suggestion