Lisinopril is medicine indicated for the treatment of hypertension. It may be used alone as initial therapy or concomitantly with other classes of antihypertensive agents. Since I have problem with hypertension, my doctor prescribed me this drug. Now I want to know more about it, because I was always skeptic about medicines. Can you tell me how Lisinopril works and are there some dangerous side effects?

Lisinopril is indicated for the treatment of hypertension, as you know, as well as treatment of hemodynamically stable patients within 24 hours of acute myocardial infarction, to improve survival. Patients should receive the standard recommended treatments such as thrombolytics, aspirin and beta-blockers. Lisinopril is contraindicated in patients who are hypersensitive to this product. It is also contraindicated in patients with a history of angioedema related to previous treatment with an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor. We found it contraindicated as well in patients with hereditary or idiopathic angioedema. Angioedema of the face, extremities, lips, tongue, glottis or larynx has been reported in patients treated with Lisinopril. This side effect of Lisinopril may occur at any time during treatment with this drug. In such cases, Lisinopril should be promptly discontinued and appropriate therapy, monitoring should be provided until complete, and sustained resolution of signs and symptoms has occurred. Each patient need to know that simple sounding problem such as angioedema associated with laryngeal edema may be fatal. Lisinopril is found as generally well tolerated in controlled clinical trials at patients with hypertension or heart failure.