Hello, folks. My friend has been having some problems with herpes zoster virus for years. As far as I know, the only treatment he received is IV Acyclovir. I would like to know whether this is a proper treatment for his type of virus. I would really be grateful for this piece of info. Thank you in advance.

Hi, there. I must correct you in something. Herpes zoster is infection, but there is no virus with that name. It is caused by varicella zoster virus. VZV causes varicella(chickenpox) when first contacts an organism. After a certain period of latency, it can cause herpes zoster infection. Acyclovir is the drug that is used for a treatment. It just stops replication and spreading of the virus. It cannot eliminate the virus from organism. It is usually taken orally or topically. It is administrated intravenously only with patients with severe compromised immune system. I hope this helps.