I have heard that this forum is a good place for medical information and comments would be appreciated. What is the best anti androgen for dealing with - I mean to say, totally eliminating - prostate cancer? If you know from your professional life or from personal experience, I would really appreciate hearing your opinion on the matter.

Hello! Anti androgens are hormone therapy drugs that are used in prostate cancer treatment. Anti androgens affect the receptors of the prostate cells’ nuclei and prevent the reception of testosterone. These anti-hormone drugs are sometimes used as monotherapy for prostate cancer patients who are in early stages with low risk tumor features. Anti androgens may also be used in conjunction with either surgical or medical castration to ablate 100 percent of the body’s testosterone. The three most common anti androgen drugs used for prostate cancer hormone therapy are flutamide, bicalutamide, and nilutamide. These drugs are taken orally as either a tablet or a pill. A single dose usually contains between 50 mg and 150 mg, depending on the patient’s needs and doctor’s prescription. Doctors encourage their patients to take the drug around the same time everyday to ensure a steady stream of therapy. Patients who forget to take a dose and are close to a time where they usually take the next dose, should not take a double dose. Taking a dose around the same time each day will decrease the incidence of some side effects, such as nausea or vomiting. Anti androgen therapy does not eliminate testosterone and therefore may have fewer or less severe side effects than those associated with surgical and medical castration. I hope this will help you.