My brother finished his radiation and chemo combination for throat cancer in late September. His throat is still so inflammed and has so much mucus that the doctor and ENT have a hard time looking in his throat to see what is going on. In fact, the Radiologist Oncologist told us to wait another 2 months before we come back. He can not do the Pet/MRI scans until he has healed.

Everyone I talk to says that it takes 8 to 10 weeks for the throat to begin healing. I just wonder why he is not healing. He can not talk and uses the suction machine every few minutes for the mucotosis. He is only using the feeding tube.

My brother, although only 50, is a recovering alcoholic for 4 years. Could it be that he is just not going to heal?

I was treated for throat cancer. I had 70 radiation treatments in my throat .It was at the base of my tounge.I wasn.t a smoker and never used tobacco products.It has been 14 months since my last treatment.I had the same problem with the mucas.It just takes time ,he may want to try rinsing with soda water this will help cut the mucas . It was the worst sore throat i have ever had and nothing helped .you just have to push through it. The worst is over and it will get better. will he have to take salagen for his saliva? Was he able to retain any of his taste? These are the two worst things I will have to endure after my treatment I ended up loosing 60 lbs. After i finished up my treatment I went into the hospital to for malnutrition for two weeks. after i was relaesed i had too have my gall bladder removed.It was not a easy one. I woke up with a tube comming out of my stomach. a week later they had to go in and put a stint in.Thc clamp they had first put on didn't hold. thing 6 weeks later same day surgery to remove the stint.So see it could be worst. I know words at this time don't mean much ,but i know exactly what your going thru and i am pulling for you ,I promise it will get better but not overnight.your mouth and throat have been thru a lot , and healing is slow , but gradually over time it will start to ease. I still have soreness in my throat but it's nothing compared to where i've been. hang in there !

My father had received radiation treatment for cancer of the epiglottis. The treatment ended in December. However, instead of gradually feeling better, the pain gradually got worse, if you can believe that. The Doctors continued to treat his symptons with prednisone and told him he needs time to heel. Now, three months later, he is going for another biopsy to determine what the spot/lump on his voice box is as seen in the PET scan and CAT scan. It is so horrible to see him in this pain. His biopsy is tomorrow and the Doctors say it could be recurrent cancer that has moved to the voice box (treatable only by removing the voice box) or it could be a severe infection. I would appreceiate any comments/suggestions.

Karie

This post sure hits home with us. My 82 yr old father had 40 radiation treatments for his throat cancer. Then he had 2 major throat surgeries to try to eradicate any residual cancer cells. His last radiation treatment was in April of '06. His last surgery was Nov '06. It has been over a year and the poor guy is still afraid of drowning / choking because he has so much (and so thick) mucus. To make matters worse, he can't swallow due to aspiration problems. What a mess !

We've seen very slight improvement in the mucus in over a year. He's fed through a belly tube. The most significant change we've seen is from (recently) switching to very slow but constant drip feeding instead of "bolus" (in mass) feedings.

The anxiety has been getting worse and worse and its now completely unmanageable. We have to sit by his bed and hold his hand / rub his back 24/7. He periodically has episodes where he can't clear the airway of the mucus because he's away from the suction machine. When this happens, his whole body shuts down from fear and he's completely helpless. More than once we thought we were going to lose him on the spot. The anxiety appears to be linked to the fear of drowning / choking but that has not yet been validated / confirmed / "proven".

We're now contemplating a tracheotomy in hopes that he'll be more comfortable because he'll have less fear about his airway.

In spite of our efforts to seek professional (many doctors) guidance, we have not received any suggestions that have helped.

Would anyone recommend any specific doctors or clinics for this sort of situation?

Any thoughts / ideas about the anxiety or mucus would be greatly appreciated.

I feel very Sorry for him, I can relate to it I have the same Cancer and have no Funds nor Insurance to get the Treatment I would like to have, the NANOKNIFE Treatment, or Hyperthermia those treatments are successful and near Painless, I wish those treatment for me and to ALL other Patients TO LIVE, I'm 54 Y.Young I have a little Boy he is 6Y. and I want to be there for him.

Ok my Friends, lets hope Miracle happen!

I was diagnosed with Cancer of the epiglottis with neck involvement (tumor in Lymph node just behind and below my ear) in late Oct. '12. CT and PET scans confirmed this When my ENT told me I would have to have radiation and chemo and suggested I have all my teeth pulled before these courses started I almost ran out of his office. I'm 64, exercise regularly and am in otherwise good shape for my age. I decided to try alternative methods and my wife supported me on this. I started with the Dr. Simonchelli (sp) protocol and took 1 1/2 tablespoons of A&H Bicarbonate of soda twice a day for 10 days to raise my system alkalinity. Then ten more days of one dose per day for ten days. That's a lot of sodium but my system took it well with no problems. Halfway the first course I noticed I had more "room" in my throat and had much less difficulty swallowing suppliments and food. I believe the tumor regressed or, as Simonchelli puts it, collapsed. But I still had lots of mucous and some bleeding in my throat. I knew I needed something else to heal the tissue in my throat and the tumor on my neck was still there. I am a guest so I will sign off, see if this posts and come back with the rest of my story.

Continuation of the post above by Bob.

After reading lots of information online I decided to try Nascent iodine therapy. It is taken internally with water and kills fungus, virus and cancer cells. I started with 4-5 drops in an 8 oz. glass of distilled water. To make this shorter, the iodine did work to a degree...I believe it may have killed some yeast infection (Candida) as I did have some detox issues (nothing more serious than feeling a somewhat lousy for a couple of hours). I continued with this regimen, working up to 10-12 drops per 8 oz. glass of water three times a day for about two weeks. At that point I did not feel it was going to improve the issues in my throat (and I had been reading about Oxygen therapy) so I discontinued.

Oxygen therapy was next using a product called Oxe E. It is a powerful oxygenator at the cellular level where it actually takes oxygen into the cells through the cell walls. The attraction for me was that it also seems to take other suppliments with it into the cell. I use Ubiquinol CO Q10, magnesium and Organic Germanium (and others). After just a few days my throat bgan to feel better and no more blood when I coughed up and expelled mucous. I have been on this for only two weeks and the recovery of my throat is pretty significant. In addition the tumor on my neck is regressing with the use of the Oxy E (and suppliment) and using magnesium oil w/MSM rubbed directly on the outside surface of the tumor.

I also take a product called D-Ribose with my main meal as it helps with the cachxeia cycle to reduce the lactic acid level in your blood that cancer creates so that you get more nutrients from the food you eat. I have lost only about 15 pounds (part of that is due to radical change to better diet) from 187 pounds to about 170 pounds.

For any one with questions I will be checking back. I'm not well yet and ahve not even had my ENT rescope my throat or had additional tests done yet. But my throat is healing and I know the tumor inside is greatly reduced in size or gone altogather. And the tumor on my neck is beginning to reduce in size and there is no pain associated with it.

I still have my teeth, my hair, my voice and I've started gaining weight (not sure if this is from exercise, which I've started again or what). I just wanted those that read here to know there is hope with neck cancer and everything your oncologist tells you may not be absolutely 100% true. Bob

Iam 2 mos out from completing my treatment and still having trouble, it takes a long time with throat cancer radiation treatment

Three months is  not very long  span for visualising effecting reults, but in my opinion you should go for Immunotherapy -a painless cancer treatment with no side effects and also has higher success rate

My husband just finished throat cancer treatment in October. He is slowly getting better but still has lots of days with really bad sore throats. Can anyone tell me about how long it will be before the sore throats stop?

It might be because of side effects of chemotherapy. I think you should start an Immunotherapy as it an alternative cancer therapy for throat cancer. It is painless treatment and has no side effects.

I also am trying to recover from throat cancer. I so far have only had radiation, my last treatment was Jan. 23, 2014. I lost 40 lbs, still not eating well and I am using Ensure High Protein 4 times daily along with multi vitamins. I am always on Diflucan for yeast infection and I am constantly spitting up gobs of mucous, they said my pet scan looked ok but there is still a spot on the back of my throat that is being monitored monthly and to top it all off, I still sound like a frog. My tumors were located around and on the back of my vocal chords. I am 58 years old and feel like 158. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

I am fortunate enough to live in Toronto Ontario where there is a fantastic place, Sunnybrook Hospital and could not imagine anywhere else to find everything you need in regards to all types of cancer. They operate as a team and you will feel like it is where you need to be. The best you can imagine. Try to get hold of them and let the wings of their angels on staff get you throught this All the best of luck and let them help you. You will be amazed.

My husband had chemo and radiation.He has a feeding tube in .This is his second one. The first one missed his stomach and he had to have surgery to put a new one in then had to open his gut to heal from inside out.Any way he goes threw radiation and chemo and is told his cancer is gone.Then goes back for recheck and it is back and is worse than before . Goes home and a few weeks later he is having trouble breathing.Our son is with him driving him some where and our son calls 911 cause his father can't breath.He thinks he has had a panic attack but had to go to the ER the next morning and his throat had swelled shut.Had to have emergency surgery to put a treyk in his throat .Then he had some kind of infection come up on his neck that looked like Mersa but was told it was cancer .It looks to be healing but is very deep wounds and the color is green . was draining and lots of mucus but is dried up and scabbing very well . Went back to doctor and was told that his cancer is back and has 6 months to live . doctors have stopped all treatment and have said that it's cancer.We even got a second opinion.go luck to you .Hope your brother has better luck then he did .

My mom is getting worse as you father did any suggestions ???