What treatment gives the best results in carsanoma of tongue? Can it be treated with radiation therapy, like other tumors? I have a cousin that has tumor on tongue. Doctors said that it is not that bad and didn’t expect it to metastate. Is it normal that person with tumor on tongue, even small one, has problems speaking? Because my cousin doesn’t want to speak a word. Please post.

Most tongue cancers are treated by radiotherapy. Tumors of tongue are considered to be even more sensitive on radiation therapy than other cancers. Chemotherapy and surgery are also used in treatment of tongue carcinoma. This type of cancer can be successfully treated, and usually is. And it is normal that patient has problem speaking, it is reasonable, because disease called cancer is in his mouth, so the fear is obvious, even though prognosis may be very good.

my father had this and went through chemo after it was cut out of his tounge. However, now he had recently undergone major surgury to have carcinoma removed from his neck that was choking him to death. It was wrapped around his jugler vein...my advise is make sure you get all the facts and ask lots of questions and monitor progress. He now has his teeth removed and has to under go radiation and then finish his chemo. Just know nothing is 100%. Please ask questions!!

I have heard that some antibiotics clear this problem. Did the doctor

give your cousin an antibiotic? If not he/she should go to another

doctor and ask for an antibiotic that could bring the swelling down.

Then check to see if this recommendation works.