A friend of mine age 17 has had type 1 diabetes and wears a pump. She was just told she has breast cancer. She thinks that because of the diabetes her treatment options are limited. Is this so? What are the most common treatments for breast cancer when severe diabetes is a factor?

I am so sorry to hear of your problem. Here's a saying I live by, "What doesn't destroy me, makes me stronger." ~ Nietzsche

I have been a type 1 diabetic for 40 years. I have worked very hard to stay well and healthy. I have never used the pump, but I have heard good things about it. I was extremely sad when diagnosed with breast cancer on December 6, 2007. I am currently undergoing 4 chemo blasts of AC=Adreamycin and Cytoxan followed by chemo treatment with Abraxane. It is not easy to go through chemo, but you can do it!! You are young, well-regulated and stronger than you think!

I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and got a lumpectomy. I will probably start chemo and radiation in the next couple of weeks. I have type I diabetes, and use a pump and the new continuous glucose monitor. I keep fairly tight glucose control and lead an active life.

I wanted to talk to someone else who had both. Did they give you dexamethosone with your chemo? I worry that the steroids will wreak havoc with my blood sugars. How did you handle the chemo nausea and the glucose fluctuations?

nanwitt11, let me know if you would like to discuss this by email or phone.

Thanks.

Wow! I was beginginng th think I was the only one out there!! I've been type 1 for over 35 years and was diagnosed with Stage 2 hygrade triple negative breast cancer a year ago. I did the steroids with my chemo (A/C) it really messes with bg but, I took twice the dose of insulin (I'm on apump) are you using Emend prior to chemo? I had a lumpectomy a year ago and then bilateral mastectomies in Jan. I'm scheduled for reconstruction this month...I find the biggest problem is deciding what is cancer pain and what is diabetes...

Hi

I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer that is also in my lymph node in my armpit. I am waiting for the final test results which I will get on Friday (MRI, bone scan, Receptors etc).

The Oncologist said that as I am on insulin they will not give me steroids as they interfere with blood sugar levels.

No decision yet as to if I will have surgery first and then chemo and radiotherapy of chemo first, but I was told I will have accelerated chemo, which is every 2 weeks, with an injection to boost my imune system 24 hours after each dose of chemo.

Has anyone out there got any advice, experience to share with me, because I am really scared and confused that there is so little information available about coping with chemo for diabetics.

Thanks

hello all
i've just joined, and would like to say that I was dx with aggressive stage III IDC in June and that I am also a diabetic on insulin for 39 years.

I worry about managing my diabetic control, but haven't found it too bad thanks to good anti emetics. When I had an infection recently it played up.

I have steroids for the 4 days during chemo treatment, but increase my insulin accordingly.

As if we haven't got enough to deal with having diabetes, we get cancer also.

Bye all

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on 9/19/08. I am also a type 1 diabetic and wear a pump. I've had the disease for 25 years and have worn a pump for over 10. I had a lumpectomy. I was stage 2b with a tumor over 5 cm. I have had 2 chemo treatments. The first was rough. I went into shock because they were trying not to use steroids. They gave me them after all. My blood sugars were in the 300-500 range for over 2 weeks. I lost 10 lbs. However, the second treatment was much easier. The high blood sugars only lasted for under 3 days. Don't give up! I have my next treatment on 12/23. My medicine is called taxotere. Please let me know if you want my email. It is so hard to find people like us! :-D

I've heard and read amazing things about cancer being put into remission by changing diet; limiting it to raw foods, etc. My daughter is type 1, i wonder about increased risk of cancer from insulin injection.

I heard that it is not the insulin ghat causes breast cancer but the artificial sweetener ESP in soft drinks.

i have type 1 diabetes and wear a pump have had it for 25 yrs now, just found out i have grade 2 breast cancer i dont know my treatment plan yet, i go monday, but if anyone know what the grades are in cancer please write me back thanks so much.

I've been a type 1 diabwetic for 43 yearrs.  I'm bipolar and often eat poorly with mood changes, Also have stomach and dental problems so can't eat most raw bruits/vegetables

I am starting chemotherapy tomorrow and am concerned about the impact on my blood glucose.  Oh, also receiving cortico steroids day before and after the day of chemo.  Right now will c ontinue frequent figer sticks with insulin coverage.  Just like always.  But should I make any specific dietary changes.  Will probably consult with dietician on simple soft or liquid meal options/replacements if needed.  Got the antiemetic pills ready.

It's hard dealing with yet another disease.  Keedp on going.  Life is what it is.  Keep on looking for others to share and stnad tall.  I also trust in God.

Hi, I would love to talk with you. Just got diagnosed. Only know it is IDC with a grade 3. Don't know the stage or next step as of yet. Seeing the surgeon the day after Christmas. Please let me know how you are. 

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

HI, I just got my diagnosis of IBC, grade 3. Don't have my stage or receptors yet. I have been on pump for about 10 years and type 1 for 35 years. Please let me know how you are and what choices you have made for your treatment.

My best friend just received the call on Friday that her lumpectomy biospy is positive for breast cancer.  They told her nothing else and she should hear from her Dr. today about stage and treament.  My main worry is she she's been Type 1 diabetic for 35 years and not very healthy overall (heart problems, and on kidney dialyisis every night).  I'm so worried about what chemo will do to her already frail body.

MY AUNT BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH BREAST CANCER STAGE 3 AND SHE IS ALSO A DIABETIC.. SHE HAS TO HAVE RADIATION AND CHEMO... IS THERE ANY ADVICE OR ANYTHING THAT YOU FEEL WOULD BE BENEFICIAL TO HELP HER... ARE YOU AWARE OF ANY PROGRAMS THAT WOULD HELP ASSIST WITH FINANCES... WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE AND I CLAIM HEALING IN THE NAME OF JESUS...