Hi, I am a twenty eight years old man. My health troubles started recently. After seeing a doctor and after some tests were made, the results came in. I was diagnosed with anaplastic astrocytoma grade 3. Now I am terrified. The doctor scheduled me another appointment to discuss the next step. What can you tell me about the course of treatment for anaplastic astrocytoma grade 3?

Hi, anaplastic astrocytoma is a brain tumor. It is rated with grades. Let me explain something about that. It could be that a person has this kind of brain tumor which is mostly graded with the number 2, but if there is a part that has the grade 3 it is better to grade anaplastic astrocytoma with number 3 because of the course of treatment. Initial treatment includes steroid drugs in order to reduce swelling and inflammation of the brain. Also, if there is a fluid build up in the brain, a shunt may be inserted. In order to remove tumor, a surgery may be performed. After it, or if the operation was not made, radiation is used. Radiation consists of high energy rays that act to destroy tumor cells or, if used after the surgery, to destroy the remaining tumor cells. Also chemotherapy may be used in treating anaplastic astrocytoma grade 3. Chemotherapy means taking drugs by mouth or intravenously. Often the combination of all three is applied since the surgery alone is not sufficient in treating this condition. I wish you the best of luck.

Hiya

I was diagnosed with an anaplastic astrocytoma grade 3 nearly five years ago (which I named jeramy). The prognois for me was not good for me and like you I was terrified.

However, during my last visit my Oncolgist has confirmed that my scans show that I am tumour free and provided that nothing changes within the next four months I will be discharged from his clinic with the classification of cured. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

I attribute this to a few things.

A positive attitute - there is a great poem by Charles Swindol called 'Attitude', with the last line saying 'I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I choose to react to it, and so it is with you'. Dont ever think its gonna win, EVER!

A sense of humour - I who would ever name there tumour? Jeremy. If my friends asked me if I were ok, I would reply with something like, having no hair was attractive to girls! A few times I would go out to clubs with mates, I would sit alone looking glum. they would find girls tell them about my condition and ask if they would talk to me! 8-)

A good diet - Im not an expert but lots of tomatoes including tomatoe juice also brocolli, orange and apple juice and anything else you like. I Stayed away from anything containing Phenylalanine (diet drinks - check lables) which is a neurotoxin which cancer cant survive without!

I used creative visualisation technioues wich I thing helped. Let me explain. Every night I would go to bed and cocentrate on my breathing. This calmed down and relaxed me. I would then imagine I was Sly Stallone in a boxing ring kicking the hell out of Dolf in that Rocky film! Sounds silly I know.

A great surgeon and oncologist- if you unsure about something, ask and keep asking until you are satisfied.

Finally somthing they didnt tell me. If you have surgery, you will not be able to drive for two years. Also any scaring from the surgery may cause very mild epilepsy which can be controled. This also can affect driving, so ask about it.

Hope this helps, get in touch if ya need to chat.

Jim

Jim,

Enjoyed your article very much. I to was diagnosed with a anaplastic astrocytoma grade 3 in April of this year. Dr. advised he wanted to do surgery within 2 months. When I asked him how many of these surgeries he had done for this part of the brain he stated five last year. Lights and sirens went off for me and told me it was time for a second opinion. My family agreed and we headed for Mayo Clinic. Ended up doing a biospy with a Dr. Lee and he confirmed my type of cancer.

Since then I have received all but eight radiation treatments and have been on chemo for the same amount of time. Waiting as you can imagine for that all important MRI to take place in about a month.

I agree that attitude in about 90% of getting through this. I was scared at first, but now all I want to do is whip this thing so I can see my Grandkids grow up and go to college someday.

Hope all continues to go well for you and I'm determined that my final report will turn out as good as yours did for you.

Roger

Hi folks!!! I have an Astrocytoma Anaplastic Grade III tumor. The major portion was removed in June, 2005, but I have what are called "tenticles" that remain and no operation can get to them. I've had the normal after op proceedures.

My personal relationship with Jesus Christ is what has seen me through to three years and three months recovery, which is about twice as long as I was given. Since the my operation, I have been married, moved, have four beautiful step-children.

God can take me this minute, tonight, or tomorrow. My family knows this can happen, and though there will be grief over the loss, we know that Heaven is our true home, it will last forever with no pain, so why should we ask for more. <>< :-D

my son just had his surgery for anaplastic astrocytoma on october 17th. we are getting ready to do radiation and chemo. he is 19 years old and has a twin brother. to hear those words and the words cancer is just heart wrenching. i have been online reading your positive stories and it really has given me some insight. he also has the ones with the tenticles that still grow. they said even with chemo and radiation he could still have the chance of it growing back and having another brain surgery. they told us his is fast growing. he is being very positive and said all they have to get is 9 percent and told his twin brother its nothing but a chicken wing for him not to worry. so we all are rallying around him and giving him all our support. thank you all for posting your stories its been a comfort. sincerely a very concerned mother.

My son 12 yr old was just diagnosed with pilocytic astrocytoma of the brain stem on Oct 10, 2008. We are currently getting second opinions for possible debulking, but so far the answer has been "too risky, not possible." If anyone has a similiar story and would like to e-mail back and forth, I would love the support and input. How do you know if radation or Chemo is better? They are suggesting chemo at this point.

_[removed]_

hello all. my dad was just diagnosed. but his is unoprable. can anyone tell me anything about this. he too has a grade three anaplastic astrocytoma. it is diffused throughout his brain stem.

I was diagnosed Aug 29, 2008. I am female, age 30. At first I was told my tumor was inoperable (AA are typically diffuse tumors, hard to remove completely with surgery) and that it might cause me harm to have the surgery at all.

I got a second opinion. I had the surgery on Oct 8, 08. My tumor is in my right temporal lobe. My symptoms were somewhat asymptomatic, and unusual, however, I would say to always get a SECOND OPINION. My first neurosurgeon probably didn't feel comfortable with the surgery, but I saw an expert in San Diego, and it was the best decision I made.

Also, it is no joke or cliche when people tell you to have a positive attitude. Your prognosis is what you make of it. It is not a death sentence if you don't make it one. Also, I would agree, avoid stimulants and artificial sweeteners as often as possible, just to be good to your brain. We still don't know how harmful the sweeteners can be.

I also have a relationship and trust in Jesus and that in addition to family, prayers, and friendship has helped me to get through this recovery.

I just recently finished my radiation/chemo treatment. In a month or so I will have another MRI to see if the tumor size has changed, etc. I get 5 weeks off of chemo.

Temodar isn't so bad. Each person responds differently. I didn't have any problems, save a decrease in appetite, which I was thankful for because the steroids make you eat more than you need to. Drink lots of water. Try to get on your feet for a walk, and eat small portions. This is KEY!! I ate too much food the first night I took temodar (and that was the only time I got sick) and overlooked the instructions on the prescription that recommend you eat 5 small meals a day. I know this can be hard with our schedules, etc, but do try to eat something healthy, and something small, when you feel like you can eat at all. Any questions please email me at _[removed]_.

!!Thank you!! Be positive! Pray! Take care of yourselves!!

My husband was diagnosed with an anaplastic astrocytoma Grade III on 10/13/08 after having a seizure. He had a MRI Assisted Surgery to remove the tumor on 10/16/08. They were able to remove approx. 95%. He has no neurological deficits. He immediately followed up with Temodar and Radiation. He suffered a blood clot in his left leg 12/30/08 and on 2/14/09 he had emergency surgery for a staph infection which may have been "smoldering" since his first surgery. A week later he suffered another blood clot in his right leg. After all this bad news, he had another MRI 4/20/09 and today we received the news that he is tumor free. I attribute this to the power of prayer. My advise to anyone facing this is, never give up hope, research all your options and have faith in the Lord.

Hi Everyone,
My mom has been diagnosed with Grade 3 last year but the latest one is Grade 4. I just want to say thanks for all the notes on this page which has made me a bit more positive about the outcome. I encourage anyone else to build up their relationship with Jesus christ, cause he really does give us everything we need. I am praying and believing for miracle and will post a note when she is!!
Missy

i have also been recently diagnosed with grade 3 brain cancer ASTRO Cytoma. it was 1 st seen in 2005 and I was told it was a sroke. i have gust completed the radiation and of course I am burnt and bald. I willm continue with the chemo for 1 yr. My tumor was on my right side above my ear. We decided to be affresive and go for the surgury They were able to take out 80 % it had grown so big since 05. were u told this was genetic.

I am 41 and was diagnosed with Anna which I will call it from now on. It was 1 cm in size and 2 inchs from the frontal lobe, right side.
I had a weakness in my toes which was there since 2003. All the doctors stated that there was a pinched nerve in the spine. I had seizure and that led us to find out about Anna. I had the top neurologist in the city and was lucky he was there when I came into Emergency. He told me what it was and then said he would operate and has done this hundreds of time. What a relief. I wasn't nervous before the surgery, since I knew I was under the best of care. After surgery, All went well, except I couldn't move my left arm or leg. The Dr. told me that he had removed more than needed so that he could get it all the first time in there. He succeeded in doing that. MRI taken months after showed no sign of it and so far all is good. I do however enjoy life like always, Laugh, and stay positive. What can happen you go onto a happier place. While your family waits to get to where you got to earlier. If you let your mind control your actions then the mind is controlling what happens to you. Just made that up. Hope good health to you all. 3

I was diagnosed with 3 brain cancer Astro Cytoma last year in July, I'm also epileptic since I was 10 years old. But I had a miscarriage and I will like to know if this can affect the grown of this tumor. Sometimes I feel that my doctor is not as open with me, I ask question and is like talking to the wall!!!

I have also been recently diagnosed with grade 3 brain cancer ASTRO Cytoma, but I'm also epileptic . I had a miscarriage and I will like to know if this affect the grown of this tumor?