Is severe ear pain a sympton after radiation of the epiglotis? I haven't been able to find any information to confirm what the doctors are telling my father. 3 months post epiglotis cancer radiation, he is in severe pain in the ears and throat....the throat is very swollen still and he has a very difficult time swallowing. He is having a biopsy to determine a new finding on a recent PET scan. I am very curius to know about the ear pain being related to the radiation which the doctor has called a "referred" pain.

karie, I am now experiencing the same type of throat and ear pain post radiation from epigltis cancer. I was wondering what your fathers finding where. I am being referred to a specialist. There is no sign of recurrent cancer. This is really a miserable pain. Sheila

I am so grateful to find this site. Doctors did'nt seem to be able to tell me why i have so much pain swallowing. Had neck discetion Nov. 06. Radiation base of tongue finished 33 treatments July 3rd 08 about 6 weeks into rad. pain gone for about 6 weeks.Since then pain worsening. I am now seeing a pain management clinic. At least i see i am not alone in this. Is there anyone out there who has gotten beyond the pain. I'm not sure if i can get back to recieve response to this post. Please help. Ralph

I had 35 targeted radiation therapy's and 6 chemo sessions and was healing in my mouth which was full of ulcers and open wounds and now I have some taste back, and some palate repair and yet I still have alot of trouble swallowing and it is almost impossible to eat. I have lost over 50 pounds and am still loosing because I cannot eat anything that requires me to swallow. Even water hurts. Now I have a pain in my left ear as well. It has been almost two months since treatments ended; is this normal? How long can this go on? I cannot loose much more weight. And this waking up with dry mouth 6 or 7 times a night and then in the morning trying to rid myself of the bloody saliva without hurting myself well all this is just.......enough. Someone out there no what I am talking about?

I am having radiation therapy to my throat and will need anywhere from 26-30 treatments. I just had my 12 treatment on Friday and will resume tomorrow. My throat already feels like I'm trying to swallow glass along with some ear pain. I can't use the numbing sprays, they make me sick. I can't imagine that this pain will get worse than it already is. I've already had two surgeries, but this cancer doesn't want to leave me alone. I'm 40 and had to leave home any my four kids to have my treatments. Does this ever get easier? I've lost 14 pounds in two weeks. I know they don't like for you to lose much or they could suggest a feeding tube. I'm always so grateful to find any information at all on the net. My cancer started out on my left true vocal cord, and precancer on my right. Had surgery and it was back on my left in less than 2 months. The last surgery the doctor found this new cancer on the epiglottis. This has all been so hard. Has anyone also had trouble with sleep? I didn't sleep for one minute last night and only 3 hours thursday and friday night. My main question is what has been done for your pain in your throat and ears? I feel like I'm swallowing glass, even my own saliva and water gives me intense pain.

I would love to talk to you about what i went through, as i went through it alone, and was unable to find anyone to talk to about this, through internet or otherwise. i am coming up on my five years post on April 11, and can give you alot of information as to how i got through it and what my experiences were. and what i am currently dealing with. its def. important to have someone to talk to who has been through the same particular type of cancer and treatment as you, for support.

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. im sure you have been told by your oncologist that it is very rare for someone our age to get throat cancer. please email me, i hope to hear from you. hang in there. your not alone.

I just wanted to jump in and say that from what I've found, pain - both during and after cancer - seems to differ quite a bit from person to person. And it can be the pain that is the most disconcerting, causing one to always wonder. In my case I finished treatments for oral/throat cancer six years ago, and initially I went through a fair bit of pain that was a result of treatments. However, pain afterward...tightening of neck muscle, earache, jaw ache, etc....has seemed to swing back and forth with me. Sometimes I'm fine; sometimes pain shows up, often if my body is fighting a virus. Right now I've had a particularly bad flare-up, pain in the initial site in my neck, dizziness, etc. which will probably have me going back to the dr for another once-over (even though I just saw the radiologist a month or so ago for a quick checkup).

To the person who wrote that it is good to talk to someone who's been through the same thing, I agree. I went through this alone (had family around, but no one for personal-experience support). I've found even the doctor very limiting in being able to discuss things with, and it can be frustrating, even six years later.

Guess I just wanted to say though, that if in doubt, have the pain investigated, but it is quite normal to have long-term pain after treatments. At least, so I've found...

I wanted to let you all know all of your post were very helpful. I am a daughter-n-law of a patient who has throat cancer that has completed 17 radiation treatments out of 35. He seems to be coping well and has started using the feeding tube this week. I'm not sure how this is going to end if it will ever. I was there in the begining of everything from the first test, to the multi port installation, and now they put him a safe habor department in the VA hospital. Which I and his son has 4 children and have to see that they get in school & see about them. We had to leave him there in their care, which i feel he is in good hands. We talk to him everyday on the phone. He has become bitter toward my husband. ( I don't understand) He has always been a quite person and if something bothered him you would have to pick it out of him. Now he has just been flying off the wall out his son?????? He also has days that he is really confused. Call him before bed and he thinks its time to get up and go to treatment. I do know this I feel so sorry for him and know there is much more pain and discomfort for him to come. Do you all know of support groups for the familys and the patient as well????
Thanks! Have a Blessed Day------Amy

Hi my mom is going through this now, she has severe ear pain and throat pain, she had a biopsy done and they found cancer on her larnyx but they haven't told us what stage it is they want to do radiation. Was there anything that helped you?

I stumbled upon this site quite by accident and am relieved to know that I am not crazy. I finished radiation therapy on February 3, 2010, for cancer in my large saliva gland...I had quite a bit of pain in my teeth, jaw throat and ear. It comes and goes but I thought it would all be over by now, i guess I am wrong, the pain in my ear and stiffness in my neck and jaw is back almost as bad as it was in the beginning. I am tired of complaining all the time and my family has been great, but no one really understands how it feels unless they have been through it. Thanks

I'm 52 and never smoked(seems my MD could not believe I was NOT a smoker). I finished 35 radiation treatments to left true vocal cord for stage 2 cancer. I found that having the feeding tube put in (around week 4) helped me keep my weight up and my nutrition stable. I have to admit though that I was not given enough anesthesia and almost came off the table because it felt like glass shards being shoved down my throat. This was after I told them I had a high tolerance for anesthesia. Thank god they knocked me out.....but I'll never forget it. So now I'm 7 months post radiation and I'm having neck pain ( 2 massage therapist's always comment how hard/stiff my neck is without knowing my medical hx).. Also having right ear and jaw pain. It's increasing. At times it's painful to open my mouth very wide. I talked with one MD who thinks it's post radiation scarring that will continue for months....or longer. I thought it might be TMJ (and more cancer...you know how that is).
Just adding my 2 cents worth. Good luck to everyone!!
Jim

I have searched the internet daily looking for answers for my husband. This is the first site that seems to understand. He was diagonsed with cancer in his ear and temporal bone in Jan. 2010. After 10 months, 3 surgeries, chemo and 35 radiation treatments he is back in as much
pain as he was in when he had the first surgery. He finished radiation August 1. We thought he was getting better, eating better, gaining weight, sleeping, even went back to work, with occasional controlled pain. Now for the past 2 weeks, the pain is back. The mri's and ct's say there is
no change, only shows post operative scaring. But he is in a lot of pain. He has always been very active, now he can't even work all day.
The pain meds don't work. Is this normal after cancer and radiation?
His oncologist has mentioned a pain clinic, but he thinks that sounds like he is only looking for a drug fix. He only wants the pain to go away so he can get back to a normal life.
Any suggestions?

I know how your husband feels. I get some relief from body work forcused on my shoulders, neck, jaws and cranium. Find a good massage therapist that knows how to "work" those areas. Mine also does passsive stretching of my neck (I had neck radiation). It's not a cure but I know it gives me some relief. I'm usually sore the day I have it done but for the next few days after I'm in less to much less
pain. I also get some temporay relief using a "rice pack" that I heat in the microwave. It's easier to almost mold the heated rice pack to my jaw/ear area than a heating pad or simular. Many times I just keep heating over and over while I'm watching TV. AT least it help keeps my mind off the pain.
Good Luck
Jim

Hi ,
My mom is going through this now. She is 56 and never smoked. She had her radiation therapy done for base of tongue cancer, she had chemo follwed with radiation which ended in july. For last 3 weekd she has been expreiencing severe pain in her ear and throat. She is getting her biopsy done. Any suggestion for reucing pain?

Thanks a lot!

I had radiation on my throat and tongue 11 years ago. I am a 63 year old male. For the last 2 months, my throat hurts when I swallow,especially when eating, and then, after swallowing food which is painful, I experience a very sharp pain in my right ear. I went to my ENT doctor, he ordered a Barium test, they checked my throat to my stomach. No problems. My ENT doctor checked my throat and tongue, no problems. I was told to chew and swallow bites of food. I am losing weight. I have more problems with mucous and fine myself spitting more and sometimes getting alittle choked. What gives?? Did the radiation cause scar tissues in my throat, harden the nerves ,etc to my ear. Sometimes the pain is as bad as when I had the radiation for the cancer. I noticed in the last year, I feel also like I have developed a pocked in my throat which catches food which I cough up to reswallow. When I eat, here comes the mucous. My nose runs. I have alittle spit returning after the radiation, but my mouth is still dry. I know what alot of the above people are going thru with
this problem. I am getting discouraged .