On 9/21/06, I had 2 discs c4-5, c5-6 removed, fused with my own hip bone, plate/screws installed. Doing well for only 7 weeks post op. Strength coming back. Most of the aches and pains are at a minimum. Still swallow hard. But the big problem: Both hands feel very numb. Very bad and painfull at end of the day or evening. Almost feel frost bitten. Hot water makes them feel worse, cold water makes them feel better (temporarily). Doctor says this will subside in time. Bit it doesn't seem to get any better. I am a musician and had to give up (or at least take a long leave from) playing as I am unable to feel guitar strings with the left hand.
Any ideas?

My motive for my anterior cervical fusion surgery 13 months ago (c-5, c-6, c-7 - two discs out, bone inserts, titinium plate), was to regain some semblance of life, that is, playing drums, golf, without the pain/numbess etc that we all feel (which is why we sought help, right?). Anyhow, finally, after a year I'm regaining some feeling in my left fingertips, and the pain in arm and shoulder is gone. Neck is numb above the incision, but coming back slowly. I'm thinking that at 54, this stuff does take many, many months. I have to work everyday at building my left arm up, light weights, stretching and so on. Hope your left hand can recover, since as a bassist, that's would be the #1 thing you'd want to regain.
drummerboy