I'm 29 year old male and I was suffering from numbness/burning sensation/weakness in my right leg, a bit of weakness in left leg too and very mild tingling in my right hand (little finger/ring finger) since last six months. Symptoms got worst with time and in April my doc recommended surgery. I had both Lumbar and Cervical MRI and doc didn't find anything unusual in Lumbar but sever spinal cord compression at C5-C6. With this he concluded that cause of my symptoms is this compression and i believed in his conclusion and decided to go for the surgery. Now i have two questions:

Q1. I'm 1 1/2 weeks post surgery but numbness in legs is still there as worst as it was before the surgery. Is it normal as I read everywhere that patients get instant relief after the surgery?

Q2. With no sign of recovery and what i read so far about symptoms of cervical disc decease that for most cervical disc pateints, their problems are either are in neck or in arms. but surprising for me, most of my problems are in legs. How common is it to relate cervical disc decease to legs, if at all? I just want to make sure that i'm properly diagnosed here.

Many thanks for your replies. please share if you have experienced the similar situations.

P.S. i'm doing very well otherwise after surgery. No other issues :-)

Best Regards,
Ravi

Ravi-

I had an anterior discectomy w/ fusion and titanium plate at C4, C5, and C6 almost 9 months ago. I too had / have numbness in my legs, including "lower extremity Spasticity", and Hyperflexia. It seems like I did permanent damage to my spinal cord, as follow up MRI's noted "chronic Myelomalacia".

My compression was so bad, that during the pre-op myelogram, the dye was unable flow past C6.

Evidently the blood supply to that part of my neck was cut off for so long that I did irreversible damage. I have varying degrees of numbness on my left torso (front and back), as well as numbness from the waist down (also varying degrees).

Standing for too long causes fatigue and weakness, and sitting for too long causes increased numbness in my legs.

I have an appointment with the neurologist on June 14th, which will probably include follow up MRI’s. I’ll keep you posted as to what they find.

I sympathize with your situation, and as much as it sucks, you are not alone. After all, you (and I) could have been completely paralyzed, so we have to focus on the positives aspects that surgery prevented further damage.

Again, I’ll keep you posted, and I don’t mind giving you my phone number if you need to talk : )

Tom

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have pretty much similar symptoms as yours. Standing for too long causes fatigue and weakness, and sitting for too long causes increased numbness in my legs (more in right - side ways).

In my pre-op MRI at C5-C6, focal oedema was discovered but i'm not sure about myelomalacia. I haven't done the post op MRI yet...once done i'll update you.

At present my doc have prescribed me to take nuerobion and Lyrica for a month and after that he will decide what's next......so far not much improvements due to these medicines.....I'm pretty much sure that my spine cord have been damaged to certain extent....hope with time it recovers :-)

May i also know your number ...it will be great to talk to you. I'm getting sick of seeing my freinds play every damn sports and i just sit and watch....hope our time would come soon :

Best Regards,
Ravi

Ravi- I had extensive blood work done, and I have a vitamin B-12 deficiency. My neurologist told me to take over the counter B-12 suppliments (200mcg per day) to help with numbness and muscle tics. You might want to try that as well. If you like liver, that is also a very good source of B-12.

My e-mail address is , so please send me an e-mail and I'll give you my phone number. I will probably know more by the end of June, but I will be happy to talk with you any time.

Have a great night my friend, and best wishes : )

Tom

P.S.- As you watch your friends play sports, I too am amazed at how people can run up and down stairs, which is something I can no longer do.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Hi Tom,

Seems like private emails are not allowed on this forum and thats why your email address was removed. Should we wait till you see your doctor? btw i'm also taking vitamin B1, 2, 12 tablets ...hope they work. I also have an appointment with my doctor on 15th Jun. I'll keep you posted

Regards,
Ravi

Ravi-

I wasn’t aware that members aren’t supposed to post e-mail addresses and phone numbers.

I’d love to chat with you, and I think the beginning / middle of July would be best, so we can compare notes, tests, diagnosis, etc. I believe I will be getting a follow up MRI after my neurogly appointment, so I’m sure we’ll have a lot to talk about after that.

Although doctors have a “patient confidentiality” rule, I authorized all of my doctors to give my information to others if they would like any advice… I really want to use my experiences to help people.

I’ve never been through an operation before (I never even had a tooth pulled), and the thought of cervical spine surgery had me beyond terrified… more like absolute and total panic. After the operation, I was like, “That was it? That’s what I was afraid of”?

I e-mailed the moderators and asked if they would pass my phone number along to you. Also, at the expense of getting tons of spam, I edited my profile to allow others to see my e-mail address. I want to help people, and if anybody needs to talk, I’ll be happy to do the best I can to help.

I look forward to speaking with you Ravi, and I hope things work out well for you : )

Sincerely,
Tom D.

P.S. - I mistakenly said in my first post that my operation was C4, C5, and C6. Actually it was C5, C6, and C7

*Note to moderators: My apologies for breaking the rules. I am a moderator on another forum, and sometimes I feel like a “babysitter” having to edit, delete, and move posts. Yes, at times it is a thankless job, but I would like to thank you very much for this forum and for your time in maintaining it. Much respect to all of you : )

***edited by moderator*** Tom request to have his phone number posted is approved: 724-791-2135.

Hi Ravi.

I just wanted to pop in and let you know that I went to the neurologist last week, and he told me that there is nothing else he can do for me. I’ve been through all of the tests, my condition has not improved, and it is most likely permanent.

He recommended that I go to the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, as they might have some experimental or alternative treatments available.

The main problems with that is:

1-My health insurance expires next month, and having a high deductible of 5K, I won’t be able to afford it.

2-Cleveland is about 3 hours away, and I can’t sit or drive for that period of time.

3-There may not be anything they can do that would help me.

Among my many problems, the main ones are:

1-Chronic Myelomalacia- Softening of the spinal cord due to lack of blood flow to the area

2-Ataxia- Neurological damage that affect coordination and balance

Well, at this point I’ll have to learn to live with what I have, and be grateful that I am not paralyzed. I have applied for disability since my condition has prevented me from working. I am keeping a positive attitude about this, and hopefully I will be able to help others with my experiences, as well as come to terms with their disabilities if it is permanent.

As they say, when one door closes, another one opens. I look forward to seeing what is behind door #2, and I’ll make the best of my situation.

If anybody has any questions about surgery, feel free to call me (thank you moderators for posting my phone number). I will be happy to help you any way I possibly can- weather it’s advice, questions, or if you just need someone to talk to.

Much respect… Tom

tom1966 wrote:

Hi Ravi.

The main problems with that is:

Much respect… Tom

Hi Ravi and Tom I understand that you have had a surgical procedure to remove the spinal compression. My Dad had a similar procedure around 3.5 months ago, so I wanted to ask you a few things that I am concerned about. My Dad had a prolapsed disk in the lower back (in Sept, 07) and has been in severe pain ever since. For 2 years all the doctors thought that the weakness and pain was because of the lower back, but once tremors started appearing in the hand and there was weakness in the legs, the doctors shifted their attention to the cervical region and noticed compression at 3-4 points. 2 months ago (March, 2011), he had an operation where they removed the compression and fixed a cage and plate. My Dad felt very comfortable the day after the surgery, but since then things have gotten worse. He has sensation every where, and the physiotherapist says that his legs and hands have flexibility and agility, as in while lying down he can lift his legs, hold them, stretch etc, however, when he stands, his legs start giving way after a while. He feels extremely fatigued after around 10 minutes of walking. When he sits, there in numbness in the lower back, which finally turns to pain if he continues to sit. I don't think the pain and numbness in the lower back can be explained by cervical compression (may be it has something to do with the prolapsed disk in the lower back), but the doctors feel that the mri shows almost no compression in the lower back at the moment. Besides, he also has problems holding urine (urgency). I have heard people say (and thats what doctors say) that it can take up to a year for all the effects of the surgery to be noticed. However, the weakness in the legs and fatigue only seems to be getting worse. We are all very concerned, and the doctors really haven't been able to explain much. The neurologist has asked him to have an anti-depressant, but that only seems to increase weakness further. It's really very frustrating that no doctor seems to have an answer. Weakness and fatigue are so severe that its a challenge for him to even put on clothes. I will be grateful of you can provide some advice or suggestions,

Regards,

Madhur

Hi Ravi
I understand that you have had a surgical procedure to remove the spinal compression. My Dad had a similar procedure around 3.5 months ago, so I wanted to ask you a few things that I am concerned about. My Dad had a prolapsed disk in the lower back (in Sept, 07) and has been in severe pain ever since. For 2 years all the doctors thought that the weakness and pain was because of the lower back, but once tremors started appearing in the hand and there was weakness in the legs, the doctors shifted their attention to the cervical region and noticed compression at 3-4 points. 2 months ago (March, 2011), he had an operation where they removed the compression and fixed a cage and plate. My Dad felt very comfortable the day after the surgery, but since then things have gotten worse. He has sensation every where, and the physiotherapist says that his legs and hands have flexibility and agility, as in while lying down he can lift his legs, hold them, stretch etc, however, when he stands, his legs start giving way after a while. He feels extremely fatigued after around 10 minutes of walking. When he sits, there in numbness in the lower back, which finally turns to pain if he continues to sit. I don't think the pain and numbness in the lower back can be explained by cervical compression (may be it has something to do with the prolapsed disk in the lower back), but the doctors feel that the mri shows almost no compression in the lower back at the moment. Besides, he also has problems holding urine (urgency). I have heard people say (and thats what doctors say) that it can take up to a year for all the effects of the surgery to be noticed. However, the weakness in the legs and fatigue only seems to be getting worse. We are all very concerned, and the doctors really haven't been able to explain much. The neurologist has asked him to have an anti-depressant, but that only seems to increase weakness further. It's really very frustrating that no doctor seems to have an answer. Weakness and fatigue are so severe that its a challenge for him to even put on clothes. I will be grateful of you can provide some advice or suggestions,
Regards,
Madhur

Hi Tom,

Regards,

I had weakness in my legs and went to hospital when I could not walk anymore. I had no accidents I was taking satin drugs, and three months later I couldn't walk. They asked me if I have fallen and I said no, they did a spinal injury but I had no pain, they talked me in to having a surgery. They said I had damage to my c-6 and c-7. We'll before my surgery I had no pain in my legs, afterwards I have numbness and now I am confined to a wheelchair and the numbness is moved from my knees down to now my stomach down. If I knew what I know now I would not have had the surgery.

I had cervical surgery in Dec. 2013 C4-5 C5-6 C6-7 I was to the point that I"ve started to drag my right foot. I also had the numbness, tingle, weakness in my right hand and arm and burning sensation in my left shoulder, leg and foot now that I"ve had the surgery I still have some numbness and weakness in my right hand and arm and more burning sensation in the left foot and leg. The main reason I really had the surgery because I didn"t want to in up in a wheelchair. I"m walking much better but the other problem still present; how long is this going to go on is that normal or I need to give myself time to heal?

i just had c-6 c-7 surgury on jan 2.2014. When I woke up my legs were both paraylzed and 3-fingers, still had to go into a rehab center there for 28days still can't walk without walker . they don't know if I'll ever be right. I walked in and no problems with my fingers now I do. plus the hospital dropped me 3 times 1st 15hrs after 1st surg then after repeat 2nd surg. they dropped me then a 3 drop the to a rehab. I went to another state to get a good lawyer, by the way stay away FROM "HILLCREST HOSPITAL IN CLEVELAND,OHIO

I had the posterior cervical surgery on Mar 18, 2014 C-3 C-4 C-5 C-6 C-7. They fusion the bones and wided the spinal canal and in stalled titanium screws, I am having the same problem but in both my feet and hands and both arms and shoulders. how long is this going to go on is that normal or I need to give myself time to heal?

oh my Tom and ravi, I know your posts have been over a year ago, but I had numbness in my waist and legs exactly as described by both of you. Doctor suggested MRI of neck and it did find compression. Had C5-C7 fusion. Two months after operation still have same symptoms. I am seeing my neurosurgeon for follow-up. I am guessing I have Lumbar nerve compression causing this waist and leg numbness. All the reading I've done, I haven't seen where cervical spine compression can cause waist, thigh, calf numbness. Wish I knew