I am experiencing sometimes numbness in one hand. It is in two fingers and down the side of the hand. It comes and goes and is usually most noticeable first thing in the morning, but there is no pain or pins and needles. On one occasion it occurred in both hands at the same time. Why my hand and fingers sometimes go numb?

It is possible that this is caused by pressure on a nerve that comes down your arm - it's the radial nerve. We know about this nerve usually through talking about hurting our ‘funny bone’. You know the feeling you get if you knock a certain point on your elbow and the numb pain spreads right down into your hand. The fact this is present in the morning might mean that you have something called ‘carpal tunnel syndrome’. It is caused by a build up fluid in the wrist overnight. A clue that this is the cause will be that the numb feeling goes away when you shake your hand and flex your fingers, but If it is bothering you much a lot you should see your GP and get a proper diagnosis.

I have this problem a lot. Sometimes my hands go numb while i am driving. or sometimes when i am just sitting. But big time when i am asleep. I wake up with so much pain in my hands cuz they have been so numb for so long. The only thing that helps is if i dangle my arm off the bedside and shake my wrist.

Is my problem different then the others that are experiencing numbness?

for the Guest above who asked about their condition you may want to check out the link i've posted below. i believe you may have carpal tunnel syndrome...

the over day i got hit in the side of the hand really hard and now every so often my little finger on that hand goes numb. is it possible that i could have damaged my nerve if so would it be treatable

if you could reply to i would appreciate it alot

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

I had similar symptoms from excessive typing and gardening. Get one of these and use it for 5-10 mins a day in each hand. powerballs.com. If you don't believe me just look at their testimonials. You can get a cheap one and their lifetime guarantee will pay for shipping if you don't find it working.

I work at the airport and i do a lot of lifting, but from time to time my fingers on right hand goes numb and then its okay. Other times I may be on my phone or texting and they go numb...I need to know what's going on.help please

my fingers went numb.I was just sitting in the car touching nothing and one by one my fingertips started to get a tingling feeling on both hands.I don't see a reason for it.

Just now I was typing on my computer and my right hand went numb, At first it didn't hurt but after about five minutes i began to feel pain in it. And it's not just one finger or two it's my entire right hand. I have had this problem several times before. But it had never hurt before. It usually happens when I'm typing, reading or playing my ds. What's going on? My hand is still some what numb and it's bean about ten minutes.

Carpal tunnel syndrome typically starts gradually with a vague aching in your wrist that can extend to your hand or forearm. Common carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms include: Tingling or numbness in your fingers or hand, especially your thumb and index, middle or ring fingers, but not your little finger. This sensation often occurs while holding a steering wheel, phone or newspaper or upon awakening. Many people "shake out" their hands to try to relieve their symptoms. As the disorder progresses, the numb feeling may become constant.Pain radiating or extending from your wrist up your arm to your shoulder or down into your palm or fingers, especially after forceful or repetitive use. This usually occurs on the palm side of your forearm.A sense of weakness in your hands and a tendency to drop objects.

When to see a doctor
If you have persistent signs and symptoms suggestive of carpal tunnel syndrome, especially if they interfere with your normal activities and sleep patterns, see your doctor. If you leave the condition untreated, nerve and muscle damage can occur.

Quote:

Quote:

Carpal tunnel syndrome typically starts gradually with a vague aching in your wrist that can extend to your hand or forearm. Common carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms include:

Tingling or numbness in your fingers or hand, especially your thumb and index, middle or ring fingers, but not your little finger. This sensation often occurs while holding a steering wheel, phone or newspaper or upon awakening. Many people "shake out" their hands to try to relieve their symptoms. As the disorder progresses, the numb feeling may become constant.Pain radiating or extending from your wrist up your arm to your shoulder or down into your palm or fingers, especially after forceful or repetitive use. This usually occurs on the palm side of your forearm.A sense of weakness in your hands and a tendency to drop objects.

When to see a doctor

I am only 11 years old and i went to the doctor and they told me i had tendinidous about 3 weeks ago. they gave me this brace to where but it didnt halp so we went back and about a week before i went back my hand all the way up to my elbow would go numb. they had no idea why it would do that and yesterday my hand started to swell and it turned purple so i took the brace off for the rest of the dsay and it only got worse. it turned purple and its been hurting like crazy. i feel like a drug addict taking all of this pain medicine.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***

this link helped me figure out why my hands go numb. i got cubital tunnel syndrome from me starting a new job. its jus from how the way i have my arms angled. since i am a dish washer at a restaurant my hand is normally at a 45 to 90 degree angle. somewhat like if you were holding a phone or steering wheel. its jus my pinky and ring finger that goes numb. almost down to my wrist. no pain tho. hope the link helps some of you guys!!

my simptoms are the same , while driving ,riding my bike or sleeping.. Been in martial arts for 23 years but also use alot of grinders and big equipment on a daily basis.. could this be the cause of carpet tunnel?

i have numbness in mt fingers and hand ...it is not in my first three fingers,it is in my ring finger and my pinkie and it is so much pain. this happens after i work alot of  hours a day and i need to know how to stop this ..... 

i have same problem but my hand swells in the morning cant make a fist and from my thumb to middle finger feels like they are asleep but my knuckels in my fingers hurt have no pain up my arm or wrist what could this be carpol tunnel?