This post is an extension of the
YASMIN BCP side effects like panic attacks and depression thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

Reason for taking Yasmin: PCOS

WOW...I feel like crying because I knew it was the damn Yasmin that was causing me to worry all the time for nothing, anxious, nervous, feel slow and stupid for nothing, depressed, felt like everything was boring.....and little things would become big. So what did I do? I went to my doctor and told him Yasmin was ruining my life (and I would also get more sick while on Yasmin)....he said it couldnt do all of that and that my health was fine... as****e.... I got off of it anyway and immediately I felt like my old self (very confident, out-going, funny, smart, good looking, very fit, comfortable life)........then I started dating someone and I thought I would have to go back on birth control (I forgot how bad I was on it)....as soon as I went on it Ive been in three arguments with him in a month. worry too much, get annoyed when he doesnt call me right back, paranoid, jealous, just STUPID and annoying...OPPOSITE of how I am.... I finished my pack today after having ENOUGH of it...now for SURE I know its Yasmin after Ive read this post.. THANK YOUUUUU.......

I also wanted to say that when I first started taking Yasmin 4 years ago the symtoms werent this bad.... they have gotten worse and worse over time... the FDA doesnt approve things that people really need (they do have a cure for AIDS but they dont want to put it on the market because then people wont buy their expensive medicine for treating it, etc..) but for things that keep people sick (and in need of other meds - eg. anti depressants) so they can make more money...HOW SICK...

Just hating this pill so much. Making my GF Irritable, stressed, anxious, bored, No desire for sexual activities, tiredness, and worst of all her laziness has gone through the roof. Is it so hard to pick up your clumps of hair you just walk by? Is it so hard to place unknown objects in the garbage instead of flicking them to the corner of the room. No desire to do anything but Sleep, eat and be miserable.

Very dissaponited boyfriend

wow i am relieved to have found this forum! everything seems to make sense now! i've been on yasmin just over 3 months and seemed to be getting on fine, but the past week has been awful and is already driving me crazy! ongoing headache/migraine and pain in my legs like some of you have also experienced and just feeling so depressed! i am very happy with my life and nothing in it has changed even slightly so there is no reason for me to feel this way but i can't stop crying and wanting to hit things! i am normally very patient but stupid little things have been winding me up so much and making me so snappy with the people i care about! i know some people have said they have been able to move past feeling like this so i'm going to stay on it a little longer but if this gets any worse i'm definitely going to try something else! really hope all other girls going through this pointless depression manage to rid of it! keep smiling :-)

Hi, I'm 24 y/o female and have been on yasmin birth control pills for about 4 years. I've recently decided to go off of the pill to help me lose some weight (gain about 15 lbs. when I started them).
It's been about 4 weeks since I took the last of my pack and i've started having some serious symptoms of depression. I'm about one semester from my masters degree in counseling so I KNOW depression when i see it. It was just tonight that i've connected the onset of my feelings to my discontinuing my birth control. After searching the web I found ALOT of info on yasmin causing/curing depression, but none of depression as a sort of withdrawal symptom.
I was hoping for some light on the situation before I have to get real serious and take myself to get some kind of help. Anyone had the same experience as me, suggestions, will it subside once my hormones get back on track or should i go for medical/mental help?

Hi, I was on Yasmin from August until February (about 7 months) and I was always moody, crying, and tired. I thought I had a type of separation anxiety as I would cry for hours when my boyfriend went out or left home for a bit. I stopped taking Yasmin about a month ago and I haven't been nearly as moody or hysterical since then although I have still been sleeping 10 hours or more a day still feeling tired.
My one problem is that I get severe cramps during my period and when I ovulate. When I was on Yasmin I could almost not feel my cramps anymore, but since I stopped taking it it has gone back to what it was before: laying in bed crying and screaming for hours because of the pain. Is there any other birth control or something that I can take that would help me with my cramps and not put me back in to that depression?
Being off of it seems to help me emotionally although when I'm not on it I tend to get paranoid about being pregnant because my period is irregular.
If anyone has any insight as to what I should take or do about this it would be a great help. I think I would prefer to be on birth control but I don't want to go back in to depression.

Wow... I seriously feel like I have found the solution to all my problems. I've been on yasmin for probably 2 years. For about a year now, I've had episodes of depression and panic attacks... for no apparent reason. It's odd because I use to be the most optimistic and bubbly person. My best friend said to me one time, "I bet you wake up in the morning with a smile on your face." And now I feel like people would descrie me as - irritable, emotional, and irrational. My boyfriend, who I have been dating for a year now... he is honestly the sweetest and best thing in my life... and has unfortunately had to deal with my emotional highs and lows. I feel empty and depressed and cry for no reason. I try to find the source of my unhappiness and can never pin point it to one thing. I get especially emotional at night (after taking the pill). Lately, my symptoms have been getting worse and I have honestly thought I was going crazy. It's sooo refreshing to know that perhaps all this unhappiness has come from the hormone imbalance with my pills. I am going to call my doctor immediately and ask to switch to a different pill! Thank you for all these posts... truly a lifesaver. I'm glad to know that I am not the only one who has experienced this.

I am so glad I have found this forum and read everyone's comments.

I have been on Yasmin for about four years and for most of this time I didn't seem to feel much different. But over the past few months I have been really suffering with feelings of depression and anxiety. I have wondered a few times before whether this could be linked to the pill in any way because of all the hormones, but this is the first time I've properly looked into it, and I'm astounded by how many other women have had the same problems. It is so nice to know I am not alone.

I have just turned 23 and everything in my life is fine: I have a wonderful fiancé who I am marrying in October, we bought a flat together in 2006, I have a great family, friends, and a good job. However, despite all these things I constantly feel down and cry for no reason like there is no hope for my life and I have nothing to look forward to, even though my wedding and honeymoon are less than six months away now. My symptoms have really climaxed since the start of this year and the last few months have been extremely miserable for me. Firstly, I became irritable at work on busy days, which one of my bosses noticed and spoke to me about (more out of concern than anything else thankfully). I am a Legal Secretary and it can be stressful at times, but I was starting to get emotional at my desk and feeling like I couldn't cope with my workload. I have had panic attacks and lack of sleep on Sunday nights at the thought of going into work the next day: I would feel dizzy and strange and my breathing felt constricted. I would have no enthusiasm and be snappy and stressed out.

A big indication that something wasn't right was when I got some new pets earlier in the year. I have loved animals since I was little and have always had pets, but when I bought two new guinea pigs in February after wanting some for weeks I just couldn't seem to warm to them and wanted to take them back to the pet shop or rehome them. It made me so upset as this just wasn't me, and if it hadn't been for my fiancé with the patience of a saint, I probably would have rehomed the poor things. Thankfully now I am well over that and love them like I have all my pets, but it was really quite scary at the time and everyone must have thought I was mad, which was how I felt. I stopped going to the gym after having stuck to a good regime for months, and felt like everything was too much.

I also experience some of the other side effects mentioned, like constant headaches, tiredness, and complete loss of sex drive. To be honest after what I've read I want to come off Yasmin immediately, but on the other hand I want to stick it out until after my honeymoon so I can double packs and avoid being on while I'm away. I think for now I will make an appointment with my doc and see what my options are, but once I'm free of Yasmin I can't see me ever using any contraceptive pill again through fear of the same outcome. When I think back to the happier person I used to be before I started taking Yasmin it makes me just want to get back to who I really am, because at the moment I am not myself at all, and it seems so likely that Yasmin is the root of the problem. Sometimes I do feel a bit happier and upbeat, like the old me is trying to break through, but it doesn't last long and my emotions seem to be constantly up and down. I wish other sufferers all the best and hope they feel themselves again soon.

So ready this has made me figure out all of my problems. I'm not on Yasmin exactly I'm on the higher dose generic brand of yasmin which is ocella. I'm so stopping it now and going to my doctor.

I would like to start this post by saying thank you to everyone that uses this - even if you don't realize, these posts help tonnes of women each day - including me.

Here is my experience on Yasmin (I'll apologize in advance for the length). I started Yasmin the first week of April 2009. Within the first few days I had my first (what I now know to be) panic attack. I was sitting with my friend and all of a sudden felt as though I couldn't breath. I grabbed a glass of water and tried to relax. The feeling went away but my arms went numb (a side effect from serious panic attacks - your blood oxygen level decreases because of quick breathing). The next week I went to Jamaica and I was lying on the beach and all of a sudden became ridiculously scared that I was "going crazy". Again, I calmed myself out of it and ignored it but I did acknowledge that this was now the second "odd feeling" in two weeks which was totally abnormal for me so I took myself off Yasmin mid-pack because that was the only thing that had changed in my diet. The next week I went back to work and had a meeting with my boss...this was the worst panic attack. To keep a long and embarrassing story short, I freaked out, went numb yet again and went to the hospital. They did an EKG to ensure my heart was working fine and the doctor simply indicated that I was experiencing panic attacks but he was not prepared to make a conclusion as to the reasoning.

That weekend I felt another panic attack (the last one) coming on but was able to breath my way out of it. Deep breaths (in my opinion) are the best solution for a panic attack. I also tried to talk to people about what was going on - this was a personal decision to help me work through what I was going through. This is when I found this site - which helped me realize that everything I was experiencing was similar to what others were experiencing with Yasmin.

For the following few weeks I felt terribly anxious - which is not like me. I was constantly nervous about something being wrong. Everytime I had a headache I was convinced that it was an aneurysm. The first few days before my second cycle (the first being immediately after I stopped Yasmin) were possibly the worst - I call it tv mode (I feel like everything in front of me is just like watching the tv). The right side of my face went numb, I was constantly dizzy, headaches, anxiety (although I was no longer experiencing panic attacks). I called a nurse and asked how long I should expect to experience these symptoms - looking for some sort of a light to the end of the tunnel...They told me to go to the hospital. The hospital did very little for me - they actually didn't even do blood work, which is what the nurse on the phone had hoped. The next day I had my blood work done at a walk-in clinic and went home to my family doctor. Due to my headaches and numb face she had me complete an MRI for my noggin.

When I went to my doctor I pointed out that all this started with Yasmin. She worked from that point but continuously said that she found it odd that I wasn't back to normal - she thought that after one cycle I should be over it. With that being said, after one cycle I was feeling significantly better, but not 100%.

It has now been two full cycles since I stopped Yasmin and all my tests have come back clear. I feel 100% better than what I did and when I look back I never thought I would be able to make it to this day.

I know this has been long-winded but in short - hang in...there is a light at the end of the tunnel. There are a lot of posts with people looking for answers. It is definitely reassuring to realize that you're not going through this alone and I encourage you to come back and post how long it took you to get better after all is said and done. Any of the posts that I saw indicated 2 - 3 months to feel back to normal again. When I saw that I didn't know how I would make it through but it got better each day - it took me about 2 and a half.

Keep in mind that this drug plays with your hormones - a very complicated aspect of your body's composition that very few people fully understand. An experience like this also puts your body through a lot - it is a very uneasy feeling to know that something that is so commonly used can have such a terrible effect on certain people. Personally, what I found helped me was to live my day as normal as possible - work through the anxiety. I surrounded myself with people and if something made me anxious (like going to the corner store for milk) I made myself do it to prove to myself mentally that nothing was going to happen.

If you're still reading this incredibly long-winded post and are having a hard time with side effects, hang in there. Work with your doctor and make sure they know everything you feel - I chose not to take any medication for anxiety because I firmly believed it was Yasmin and I could work through it - personally, I am not a fan of taking medication - however, this is a personal decision to be made with your doctor.

Whatever you chose, just remember, there is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel and even though you might feel like you'll never get there, slow and steady wins the race!

Hi There (sorry for the long post)

I have been on and of yasmin bc since I was 18 I am now 24. A few months after being on this I became severely depressed would cry every day and hated everything including my job. I attempted to commit suicide and was hospitalised for 5 days. At the time I did not think that it was the yasmin pill making me feel this way, I just assumed it was my career as I was in the armed forces and thought it was due to being away from family etc, even though I had been in the forces for a year and a half before going on the yasmin pill and was totally fine, I loved my job and was very happy and was planning on staying in for my 22 years and going for commission but this all changed when I started yasmin bc pill. Know body told me this pill could cause your life to turn upside down.
I continued with yasmin after coming out of hospital as know one seemed to look into or care about the pill I was on, and 6 months later I ended back up in hospital, due to depression I was discharged from the forces.
After being on this pill for 2 years I cam off it to try for a baby, when coming of it I felt great and also came off my anti depressants as I no longer need them as I felt back to my normal self, but I still dint click on that it was the yasmin causing me to feel severely depressed.
I had a beautifully baby girl and when she was a year old I started back on yasmin, and blow me down, I started feeling depressed and come a year later after taking them I started feeling severely depressed having been through this before and not wanting the same thing to happen again (end up in hospital) I seeked medical advice and was put back on antidepressants.
I have been on anti depressants for a year now whilst taking yasmin. Even though I was on anti depressants it felt like they were not helping, which is why the dosage keeps getting increased. I cry for know reason, have panic attacks, headaches, dizziness and all other blaming horrible symptoms. But when I see my doctor about my symptoms he just says their from depression but I have always felt that there is reason for all these symptoms and the depression.
I started looking at forums regarding yasmin and when I heard the side effects it causes, I stopped taking it. It has been two weeks so far since I last took it and I already feel allot better, I am not crying, not as snappy, and starting to get energy again and determination to do things, which I seemed to have lost as I thought I was useless and could not achieve anything and everything I do or even decide is just wrong so why try. But I am actually starting to slowly feel back to my old self again. I am of to see the doctor this week to discuss my pill and tell him how I feel and to try and get confirmation of the yasmin being the problem.

This pill has caused me so much hassle, I have lost jobs, I have nearly lost my life and after finding this site and a load of other sites I have seen that I am no the only one who has suffered badly from this pill. Hopefully now I can get my life back on track.

I’m sorry for the long post.

It comes as a relief to me to see that other women have these same problems. I have been on both Ocella (Yasmin's generic) and Yasmin for the past year. As I've been on it, myself and others have noticed almost a cycle in my emotions. On this pill I have become depressed, paranoid, and easily upset. I have begun finding reasons to leave my boyfriend just because I woke up in the middle of the night in an uproar over nothing and feel it's best to be alone. It happens every month and it is just wearing on me. I also begin to think of my past depression from years back and consider my past destructive actions. I don't know if it'ss the pill or not, because I feel that I would not be able to recognize my problems while still on it.

One story that proves how bad it is...while attempting to leave my father's house one night, which is in a woody area, I had an extreme panic attack. I ended up on the floor crying and hyperventalating over some bugs flying around outside in the dark. It was a horrible experience, yet I never felt so scared. My once small fears, like bugs, heights, dark, have extremely heightened to embarrassing levels. The concept of birth control is great, but I need something that works better than this.

I am also extremely glad to have found this page. I started taking Yasmin a little over a year ago now. At first it was great, it reduced the pain I had with cramps each month. But at the beginning of the summer it started affecting my life. I used to be a very athletic person and exercised regularly. But during the summer I started getting depressed and could not do anything. I would come home from work and head straight to the couch. I am always tired and can sleep for large amounts of time when I should not be tired in the first place. I also stopped going out with my friends for no reason and can get nothing accomplished. I frequently start crying for no reason at all and feel depressed. I have not stopped taking Yasmin yet because the pain from my cramps causes me to miss classes that I not allowed to miss. Has anyone else had or have a similar problem? Is there another pill out there that I can take that will not cause depression?

Oh my God!

I got together with my boyfriend in May 2008. In about March 2008 I had decided to go on a pill to help sort out my acne. When we met it seemed a good idea to stay on the pill for birth control reasons.

My acne is better and I haven't had any weight issues which I was worried about.

However, though the relationship started so well, gradually I became more and more clingy, tearful beyond belief at films, music, stories, anything really. I found that when I was stressed I couldn't stop my heart racing and I became much more self conscious. I did have a few deaths in the family last year but since two of those were for extremely elderly great-grandparents, I think it is a convenient excuse to lean on this as a reason to be more than a little sad.

Though my man and I are still together, things are reaching breaking point. I have been having nightmares and being tired and sad. Even though he is making a massive effort to be nice and take me out to dinner and things, I can't seem to go through an evening without being glum. Last night, mid conversation my face fell. He noticed and picked me up on it. I was telling myself "come on, smile" but my mind was racing and soon I was crying and getting up to leave the bar that we were in. (I had only had a glass and a half of wine and had eaten, so am sure I was not drunk)

He has been so good to me this year. He proposed in June and I still feel like he doesn't love me. He has taken me back after I threw my phone through his wall. But I still feel insecure. I want cuddles all the time and seem to be becoming more babyish with my clingyness. I snap more in stressful situations and I waste so much time worrying about nothing.

Aside from emotional issues, I have also got a newly developed wheat intolerance (since July 2008) and general tummy issues. I have suffered a urinary tract infection that had me hospitalised for a week (Jan 2009) and I feel pain in my lower stomach sometimes after sex. I get up most nights to urinate, which I can't remember doing before. I complain of feeling tired and sick a lot.

My sex drive has recently become so erratic. Just before my period I want it so much and I hassle my man until he gives in and then I feel really angry that he didn't really want to. When I'm not interested then I get angry if he is. My appetite is all over the place.

I have just read the entire of this forum and every single one of these things has been mentioned by different people. I was about to beg my man to come with me to counselling and give it one last shot. I was so despondent because I thought I was a crazy nut job. I couldn't rationalise.

I am not taking one more Yasmin pill. I am getting a doctors appointment to discuss alternatives and I am having a break for at least a month. The state the relationship is in, I don't think sex is very likely anyway! And if it is, he'll just have to be the responsible one.

I stumbled across this forum by utter chance when looking into depression, convinced I was psychologically disturbed. Perhaps I am, but I know what else I am going to rule out first...

Hopeful! :-)

p.s. Sorry this post is so long!
p.p.s. For those who are interested...I am a 23 year old, am of normal weight and have no other underlying medical issues that I know of.