I HAVE RECOVERED! And I want to share my story because I went searching for answers all over the internet when these problems were happening to me, and not many people had comments about being better. I'm sure many of them just moved on with their lives as I almost did. But I came back to these forums to post so that whoever is hurting might know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep hope alive. I did not have much hope at that time, but now I am absolutely fine :)

It all began when I went on birth control as suggested by my gyno because my periods were not happening every month like clockwork and this concerned her. But after awhile, I started getting bad headaches, so I quit them cold turkey after 3 months. Well, I was fine for awhile until a few weeks passed. Then my world changed forever.

One day I randomly started feeling extreme anxiety, a problem I have never experienced in my life. I could not eat or sleep no matter how long it had been since I had eaten and no matter how tired I knew I was. My body went haywire and it scared me to death. I was terrified, questioned my faith and my salvation, and did not want to be alone in case I died (irrational thoughts).

I went to a psychologist, tried herbs, everything... My regular doctor and gyno wanted me to either get on a drug for anxiety/depression, or get back on birth control. But my mom reasoned that I was fine before birth control and learned from researching online that birth control was probably the cause of these problems in the first place. We decided to stay away from more drugs and wait it out.

My episode of terror lasted a week the first time and I lost 13 pounds. I did not want to do anything, even get in the shower or change. I felt frozen in place, paralyzed by fear, but was still miserable sitting still. I seriously felt like I was going crazy. My heart seemed heavy and sometimes a muscle in my neck hurt too. Any little symptom scared me because I was in an irrational state. I thought I might just drop dead or pass out. Well, instead I dropped out of my last semester of college and moved home.

I thought maybe I was out of the woods when my week-long episode ended, but exactly a month after the first week-long episode, I had another one, this time at home. I was also having some sort of light bleeding every 2 weeks, which was abnormal for me. The feelings of anxiety and fear returned and I went another week without eating or sleeping much at all. Now I really began to worry that I was ruined for life. The world looked so scary and I did not want to live because I was scared of what I would have to deal with - I felt incapable of handling it. I did not want to die either because I was scared of that too. I hated birth control and was mad that I could not talk myself out of these crazy/racing thoughts going on in my mind. I prayed and prayed and felt sort of abandoned to be honest. Why couldn't I feel like my old self? Would this condition last for years? And why couldn't I handle this better?

I was really tempted to go on Paxil or birth control that time, but decided I would wait it out one more time. It felt like hell during these episodes but as long as I ate when I could, laid down at night, and just kept breathing in and out nothing serious was really happening even though I believed it was. I did dry heave a couple times but that was from panicky thoughts and was the least of my worries. Anyway, I was still having weird bleeding every couple of weeks and my acne was really bad, so I knew it was indeed hormone related and most likely the birth control that started all this.

SUMMARY: I quit birth control July 16, 2012 and had the 2 week-long episodes of extreme anxiety/depression. However after that I only had a couple more episodes! This time 3 days long and not as severe. November 10, 2012 was the last time I felt that abnormal/irrational anxiety feeling. Today it is January 7, 2013 and I feel completely fine. The weird, light bleeding is no longer 2 weeks apart. Instead I have relatively normal periods like I used to be before all this happened that are a month or more apart.

I feel like the same person I was before experiencing this except I have some questions about my faith. It humbled me for sure. But I am searching for answers, and I know God is faithful. This terrible ordeal will only make me stronger in the future. I believe it is getting better and better with time and that all this was caused by synthetic hormones which caused an imbalance in my body. This seriously altered the messages my brain was receiving. Hormones are more important than I knew before.

I suggest not going on drugs unless you have to and to wait it out. Doctors can help, sure, but also be your own advocate. Search online and consult the ones who care about you the most. If you do not have a history of anything like this, it is probably not really your mind but your body that is sick. But I am not a health professional. Just don't be too hard on yourself like I was. You are not the only one who has gone through this. Surround yourself with patient people who love you during your anxiety or other symptomatic episodes and if you don't have those people, pray to God and just breathe. Time will go a long way to heal you because it did for me. Hang in there and eat when you can, sleep when you can. Don't worry about the rest.

I am so sorry if any of you are going through this. I hope it ends soon. But if you are, know that it is most likely temporary. Don't try to fight it and question everything about your universe - just keep breathing. A better day is ahead.

I just want to say thank you for posting this! My story is almost identical to yours and to know that there are many women who have been through the same exact ordeal after stopping birth control makes this recovery process a lot easier for me. I stopped using the Nuvaring at the beginning of January 2013 and 3 weeks later I started having the anxiety/panic attacks that I had never experienced in my life. I am currently feeling a little less anxious and more depressed, with irrational thoughts. I've cried countless times today alone and my thoughts seem to run off on a tangent about the most negative of things, death being one of those things. I am in grad school and aiming to receive my doctorate of physical therapy in 2014. It has been a struggle over the past month to maintain passing grades and attend class because I am unable to concentrate due to the anxiety, depression, irrational thoughts, headaches and minor pains all over. I am learning to patient with my hormones as they try to get back on track after being on birth control for almost a year. I too had no idea the power behind hormones. I have a great support system that seems to be the only thing keeping me smiling through it all. I will keep you updated on my recovery timeline and can't wait to be back to my old seld. Please email me, maybe to support me through this process as well if you can.

I have also currently recovering from this. I was on mircette for probably a year/ year and a half and went off of it because I had no sex drive. I was completely fine for months, then I started having real bad acne that was causing me to be depressed. My dermatologist put me on a generic brand of birth control called emoquette to help with my acne. Although I didnt realize it at first because I never experienced it, I was having bad anxiety. I went to the doctor because I was having real bad shortness of breath. He said he thought I had bronchitis. It was anxiety. I had my very first attack the second week in January. Never experienced a panic attack in my life so I had no idea what it was. I had another one on the very first day of my period on this new bc pill. It was awful. I ended up going to the hospital and they said nothing was physically wrong with me. I had to wait it out. I had irrational thoughts and my mind kept racing about everything and anything that I've never had before. I was constantly afraid of dying in anyway you can think of. I couldn't watch certain movies or shows. I question my career choice. I was overall afraid I'd never be the same. I've been having random periods of depression, not sure if I wanted to die or not. Scariest feeling in the world. A big part of it is beig afraid of suicide, but I don't want to die. I've also had problems with headaches, being light headed, little lose of appetite, not being interested in the things I use to enjoy, and had a lot of trouble remembering things. I also haven't slept right since my attack. Numerous times I've woken up out of no where and had anxiety as soon as I opened my eyes. Lost much sleep. I started seeing a therapist. She's been helping. I'm learning how to manage the anxiety and any previous stress I've had from before my attack. Deep down I'm hoping its just the hormones. Praying and reading the bible also helps. Keeping busy and trying to do new things with friends as well. It's been almost two months since this all began and I've had some good days and many bad days. I just look to my family and boyfriend for comfort. Being reassured that they won't allow anything to happen to me and its just the hormones from going off the pill and it will all go away makes me feel better. This website has been a huge help as well. Whenever I felt discouraged I read the stories on this page. I second period since I stopped the pill is coming next week. I've been feeling better and I hope that doesn't change when my period comes. I just keep in mind that I never felt like this before the pill so with patience every day will get better. Keep faith and be open to people with your feelings. Easier to talk about and have your loves ones reassure that you'll be ok. It will pass. I will NEVER go on any form of hormonal birth control again. I love my life and the people in it so I keep remembering that when times get hard. The things we women have to go through ugh. I hope this helps some feel better

I just wanted to say thank you for that post. 100 % what im going through and your story is helping me become more optimistic! Its very stressful and makes you feel like you cant control your own thoughts, emotions and life. But what ive learnt, is that anxiety is just a terrible feeling, it will not kill you and its as strong as you make it 

I want to thank you too! I am dealing with this right now as well, and just like you said, it can make everything in your life come into question.  That is a very scary place to be, so your story really encouraged me! I have been praying and reading my Bible and searching for peace in all of this, which has been hard when anxiety seems so overwhelming.  Thank you for sharing! 

Hi I'm suffering from the same thing. I was on Yasmin for about 5 years before my insurance switched me to Zarah. I've been on that for about a year to a year and a half. I started a new job and it was fairly stressful. I also work long hours. I started to feel empty. Nothing was exciting to me and I wanted to sleep all the time but I thought it was just because of my long hours and the stress of my job ( I'm sure they both contribute). I went to the dr last month and got tested for a ton of different things such as anemia to figure out why I was so tired and I tested negative. She had me take both an anxiety and depression test and although I didn't test positive for it, it dawned on me that it was a problem. Ive had anxiety for a while and it runs in my family but Ive never had this suffocating feeling before. My dr suggested getting off birth control after all my results came back negative. A few days later I started my period and I became full on depressed. Crying, empty, miserable. It lasted a few days then went away completely. Because i had finished my pack the week before I just didnt start a new one. After that week things got 100 times better. I was happy, excited about things and feeling good. I got that for three weeks and I'm back around to my period and back around to anxious and unhappy. I feel like I can't breathe :(. Waiting out the week. Thank you for this forum and I'll lee you updated. If you took Zarah and feel anxious and depressed you aren't alone...

Thank you for posting your recovery..I have hope now! I'm 16 and was only on the pill 1 month before I went to the hospital for an extreme migraine. I was on my last placebo pill when I stopped taking them all together.. Only about 2 days after stopping the pill, I had a huge panic attack while driving. I was literally scared for my life! I did not even think that the stopping of my pills could cause it, so I went back on the pill a few days later because my boyfriend was nervous to have sex. I kept going off and on the pill the next week as my headaches continued but my boyfriend wanted me on it..the panic attacks also continued, about once a day, and I felt anxious and depressed all the time. A week later I realized it may have been the stopping/on and off of the pill that was causing this, so I stopped fully about 9 days ago. The panic attacks continue and the doctor put me on temporary anxiety meds to help with the attack. I keep having bad thoughts and literally feel like I'm going crazy! I'm usually a very happy, fun, loving, caring person, but now I feel I can't see as much happiness in things. Some days I even think I'm losing feelings for my partner, and some I think he doesn't like me anymore..I guess this is just the hormones working themselves out.. Again thank for your post..it's a very scary feeling and I hope it ends soon!

Well girls you guys aren't the only ones I got off the implano April 29 2013 I was feeling great till may 5 I had my very first panic attack nothing great I tell you I was sacred to death I couldn't sleep I call the ambulance I thought I was dying I have two kiddos I love and the thought of not seeing them ever again kill me !! I fought it I said I gotta be strong but yet I still felt like that crying all the time bad headaches all the time everyday till today aug 5 2013 I have felt a bit better i don't get as anxious but I still have thoses ugly thoughts of dying I cry still but less I guess it's passing by but i do feel like everyone around me dislikes me because if how I am now I was just such a happy me I truly miss me I hope this ends soon because if there's anything I enjoy is life and my kids I am happy to hear I am not the only one hope you guys feel better soon and just remember god choose us because he knows we are the strongest !!!

Thank you so much for posting this! It's nice to read about someone who has gone through the same thing and is now recovered! 3 months ago I stopped taking the patch and the first month off Of it I was fine the next month right before I started my period It all started. It scared me To death I went to the hospital and the doctor twice in 1 week and got a ton of blood work done everything came back fine. I told them how I was feeling and the prescribed me depression and anxiety medicine. Which seemed to make it worse so I stopped taking that. I started feeling better for a couple weeks then right around my period it started again. So I'm just hanging in there hoping it will all get better and my hormones will level out! Thanks again for posting

Thank you so much for this, I've been feeling exactly like you were for a week now. And the feeling of hopelessness is finally fading away, since i don't feel like I'm the only one and I finally don't feel like I'm going crazy. I've just decided that getting off the pill was the best thing. So I'm extremely excited to get better in the weeks to come. In moments like this I feel like we realize how much we need God,and family. Im so happy that you are ok again, and I hope whoever is going through this will get better. I would never wish that feeling on anyone. So thank you again, its nice to see a good result instead of just speculation.

I also wanted to share my story. I have literally spent hours a day reading other womens experiences in coming off birth control and while it is nice to know you are not alone it would doubly be more helpful if they came back and said that they got better. When you are at the worst place in your life that you have ever been in and feel hopeless that it will ever get better it is helpful to know that other women did. I started taking birth control in January 2013 (don't remember the brand) and was doing okay except when taking the 2 or 3rd placebo I would be hit with awful headaches that wouldn't respond to painkillers (over the counter ones). My ob/gyn said to just short the placebo day length or just skip them altogether. This lasted for about 6 months until I started having visual problems and nausea. Also starting having strange symptoms when driving where I felt like I was floating above myself. I had to pinch myself until I left marks on my legs so that I could stay on the road. I sort of just wanted to drift away even though my kids were in the car! I later learned that this was dissociation and the beginning of my panic disorder. I was a week into the active pills of my birth control and the headaches never went away. I decided then to stop them at the beginning of July. Had a withdrawal bleed not long after. I had an headache every day that month. Also an episode of anxiety which at first I wasn't even aware that was what it was because I had never had anxiety. Sitting in traffic on the way to go camping I was overcome with feelings of fainting (which I have experienced after receiving a steroid shot). I had to have my mother quickly change seats and drive because I was about to pass out). I would also have episodes of my heart just start racing for not reason although it didn't last long. Maybe a few seconds. Then on August 11 I started my period. My husband and I were just laying in bed watching TV when my heart started fluttering. Then it was racing like a freight train. I was terrified and though I was having a heart attack. It lasted from 10:00 pm at night until 7:00 am in the morning until my body just gave out. All those hours all I could do is just pace. I got maybe four hours sleep and I woke up to the same thing. It would feel like a fist had hit me in the chest and then the adrenaline would rush through me my heart would race and my limbs felt like they were on fire. I had my husband take my to the urgent care where they did a workup and said they couldn't find anything wrong. This lasted an entire week. A panic attack, surge or adrenaline non stop racing heart every one to two minutes. I was in the urgent care three times and took an ambulance ride to the emergency room in one week. Had adivan in the ER and it had the opposite effect (made me feel high and the next day I was suicidal). Eventually the attacks happened every 5 minutes and slowly tapered off. Have had numerous tests because my psycholigist didn't believe it was just mental panic attacks don't last that long she said (suspected pheochromocytoma) and the only thing that has come back abnormal is elevated cortisol. Now three and a half weeks after my first panic attack I can feel the attacks beginning to get worse. I can usually fight them off by deep breathing but it is getting harder because I suspect my next period is coming. I am taking Seroquel at night so I can get some sleep because for some reason the attacks get worse in the evening. This has been the worst experience of my life. I had to send away my kids for two weeks because I was unable to care for them and I didn't want they to see mommy losing her mind. My poor husband has missed work shuttling my back in forth to the ER and doctors visits not to mention his mental state is shot having to deal with it. I lost ten pounds in a week and could only be forced to drinking Ensure to keep me alive. My 62 year old father can now outwalk me. I literally walk like I am in my 80's. We have insurance thank god but this is costing alot of money. Not to mention the guilt I feel for not being a mother to my children during all this and feeling the worst physically than I have felt in my life. Not one doctor has agreed with me that this is the result of coming off birth control. I only hope that I can make it through this and eventually get my life back. I will keep updating if I see any improvement because I think it will be helpful to those of us who are currently feeling without hope that it will ever get better.

I am so glad to hear this. I was put on birth control a little over a year ago for pcos. Just a few months ago I started getting my period twice a month and started experiencing all sorts of strange hormonal changes. Then one night I experienced anxiety, panic, and horrible racing, irrational thoughts. This had never happened to me before, and then started my period the next day. I was immediately convinced it all had something to do with the birth control and stopped taking it a week ago. I started to feel a little bit better after stopping but have still had quite a bit of racing irrational thoughts and occasional anxiety. I just keep praying it will get better when my hormones get balanced again since stopping the birth control!

Hi everyone I have a similar situation except for all of this starting happening to me while still on my birthcontrol (micrgestrin 1.5/30 Fe)I started taking this pill in march of 2013 on a continuos cycle meaning i take the active pills for 3 months then take a week off. I had some aches in the 3rd month and also noticed i was gaining weight but i thought that was do to another pill called singulair that I was on. So i stopped the singlair in july. During August I started having stange dreams and when I woke up in the morning I would drenched in sweat. I didnt think much of it until August 21st I woke up and had a cup of coffee and went to work. while at work I was standing in our everyday morning meeting when I started not to feel well dizzy and chest pain and just weird long story short i started to faint and then hyperventalate so the paramedicts were called i was given ativan at the er and told i had a panick attack. I was fine for a few days but then it happened again and this time it lasted for hours. and then it would come back every 2 hours like clock work for 3 days straight and was accompanied by stomch pain diareahh, sweating, shills, and alot of other random pain. I went back to the hospital because I could not take it there they focused on my stomach and said i may have an ulcer to follow up with my doctor. I was having these symptoms everyday for about 2 weeks going through blood test and everything was coming back normal. after doing some research i asked the doctor if it could be hormones and if i should stop my pill. He said he run some test and in the mean time it was up to me if i wanted to stop so i did. the first 2 nights of the pill were aweful I thought i might actually die but i have been off for 1 week and 2 days and i still get a lil anxiuos at times but now im more of a cry baby and im tired all the time. the night terrors and sweats have gone away during most of the night but seem to always return at 5 am. i still wake up during the night at other times but not sweating or racing thought and i usually go back to sleep. The doctor gave me ativan to take at night but i still seem to wake up so im just hoping that this was all cuased by this birthcontrol and that it is going to go away very soon and never come back. I am only 22 years old and I do not want to be put on medication for anxiety for the rest of my life becuase i never had this problem on any other birthcontrol pill or before them. I am still waiting on a stomach xray to make sure everything is ok in there and although no doctors will agree with me that it could have been the pills one nurse did and said that it takes 2 weeks for the pill to be completey out of you system and could take another month or 2 for hormones to regulte. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen while on their pill and it go away when taken off?:-)

I posted about two months ago and wanted to update my status. I am feeling much much better. I've had two periods since stopping birth control and will probably get my third judging by how I feel tomorrow morning. It seems that the week before and the week of my period is when I have most of my anxiety and panic. And again when I ovulate. The week after I ovulate I feel almost completely normal. This is an improvement from feeling the anxiety and panic all the time. I have found that taking a magnesium supplement helps and doing daily yoga. So far all of my tests have shown that I have elevated cortisol. Hopefully this will help someone who is feeling hopeless and cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel. I went from having a week long panic attack to attacks every few minutes to feeling anxiety everyday and some limited symptom attacks to having some anxiety for about two weeks and about  a week of feeling normal. Don't give up hope!

I started taking mononessa in Jun 2013. After taking the BC for 3 1/2 months, I started getting heart palpitations/ flutters and was becoming extremely concerned. In late Sept. 2013 I stopped taking the pill on a Wed. That next Sunday I had a full blown panic attack. Scariest thing ever. You truly feel like you're having a heart attack, or even dying. Little did I know, stopping the pill would give me dibilitating anxiety. The only time I feel ok is if I'm around other people, and even then it's never fully gone or better. The heart flutters are still occurring and tomorrow (10-22)I am being hooked up to a heart monitor to make sure nothing more serious is going on with my heart. I am sure it is the anxiety I am feeling from stopping Mononessa. I had had panic attacks when I was 20 after stopping Depo shot, but never knew what was happening or what it was until recently after putting 2&2 together that it HAD to be the birth control. I am not a normally anxious person at all and have only had episode after stopping BC. Hoping that it doesn't take 6mo to feel normal like last time!! :-/