Hello, I was prescribed Yasmin to shrink ovarian cysts (I had surgery for them in 1998) but they have returned.

I was put on Yasmin on December 18, 2006. I had never taken the pill before. I am 38 years old (39 next month) and have no children.

The side effects I have experienced on this drug is
Blurred Vision and spots before my eyes
Sweating
Panic attacks
Depression
Irritable
Nervousness
Late Period
Heavier than usual Period
Period lasted longer than usual - I still have it
Extreme Diarrhea
Not Sleeping
Very Bad Acne
Bloating
Weight Gain
Vaginal Warts
Large Breast Pimple
Very bad Yeast Infection
Very Dry Mouth
Terrible Back Pains

I have just read that women over 35 who suffer from Migraine headaches (which I do when I have my period) should definitely not take the pill as clots could form behind their eyes. I am TERRIFIED that I am going to lose my vision or that I have done damage to my eyes.

I am stopping the pill today and wanted to know if anyone else experienced vision problem or loss of sight and if they stopped taking the pill, did their vision go back to normal?

Could I have done irreprepable damage to my body (and my eyes) in just one month on this pill?

I took yasmin. I'm now 24 and was probably 22 when I took it. I didn't have any of those responses but I did gain weight, lost all sex drive, and was moodier than all get out! I would think your dr would take your headaches into account before prescribing them to you. You need to call your gyno and inform them that you stopped the pill. If you had none of these symptoms before taking it, well it's just too many to be a coincedence. Definately get to your dr to discuss alternate means of shrinking the cysts. and if you don't return to normal, i would maybe look into seeing you regular dr. to make sure no damage had been done. Best of luck!!!!

I was on Yasmin for 6 month per the advice of my Gyno (who stated that it was the latest and greatest thing). I was originally taking low-ogestrel for about 3 years.

Well i had to stop taking Yasmin because it made my migraines so bad I was actully hospitalized once thinking I was dying due to an anuerism (sp?). I asked my doctor to put me back on to low ogestrel.

Well a week after starting low ogestrel i has a terrrible panic attack and after a few more panic attacks I went back to my doctor and she did a blood test...stating that it was probably my thyroid. Turns out nothing is your with my blood. But she refuses to do a hormone test, yet prescribes a different pill called Yaz!

Rebec999 wrote:

Blurred Vision and spots before my eyes
Sweating
Panic attacks
Depression
Irritable
Nervousness
Late Period
Heavier than usual Period
Extreme Diarrhea
Not Sleeping
Very Bad Acne
Bloating
Weight Gain
Vaginal Warts
Large Breast Pimple
Very bad Yeast Infection
Very Dry Mouth
Terrible Back Pains

I took Yasmin for about 4 1/2 years, silly me.
The side effects go as follows.....
Hair Loss (starting for me at the age of 26!)
Weight Gain
Uncontrolable Emotions (especially about a week before my cycle)
I was unable to lose weight
Leg Cramps (which had to be evaluated in the E.R.)

The only good thing that I can say about this pill was that it was effective & I was not bloated come time for my period.
Other than that, it is definately not worth the side effects, especially the hair loss & the pain that I experienced in my legs. I literally would wake up at night having to prevent myself from screaming!

With that many side effects, I'd change to another kind of BC pill. My daughter, at age 18, had been taking Yasmin for just under one year when she developed a very large blood clot. She was a normal 18-year old college student, non smoking, no drugs - just a regular kid. She was home from college and suffered a brain stem stroke. The Yasmin was the cause of the clot. A hole in her heart - called a patent foramen ovale or PFO - was how the clot got to her brain. Her Doctors told us that everyone has the hole in the heart - it's how blood circulates while in the womb, however at birth the hole should close. In 20-30% of people the hole does not close!!! That is a large population. I guess it would just financially cost too much for doctors to check those major organs before prescribing drugs with blood clots / stroke as side effects. But it would have made a big difference. The PFO was undetected until the stroke.

Yaz and Yasmin are the same thing. One is low one is stronger. Beware of the stuff. My friend is sitting in a psych ward right now because of it.
She was having palpitations,insomnia,blurred vision, UTIs, kidney infections, lack of concentration, anxiety, depression, nightmares and horrific thoughts of suicide. After she told her gynecologist she was sent to the psych ward and no one believes that it could be the Yasmin. They think she is on drugs!
She was completely normal when I met her. She started taking it not long after I met her a year 1/2 ago and I slowly watched her go down hill.
Beware of this OC pill !!!!!!!!
Read more here: http://www.createforum.com/yasminsideeffec/viewforum.php?f=1&mforum=yasminsideeffec

Watch out for this one, I have a co-worker who is now with blood clots due to Yasmin.

I also believe I had the same side effects as person one, I had perfect vision up until I was 20 when my eyes started getting extremely bad, every year since they have gotten worse till I actually stopped taking Yasmin. I too had to stop because of migraine headaches and pimples on the the vagina. I was always very tired and irritable as well. Besides all that there were times when I skipped my period up to three months the doctor told me that was normal but I have a hard time believing that when the pill is supposed to regulate you. I'm so glad to have found a sight where similar things are happening to people who took this pill. Are they any of you out there that have any joint problems that sprung up as well something like arthritis, inflammation of the joint?

I was on Yasmin for 2 years, then stopped to conceive my second child, had the baby and now I am going back on it. My Husband had a vasectomy so really I don't even need to be on it, however, I love the stuff. If makes me lose weight, it stabilizes my mood and makes my period so light. It also clears up my skin. So I guess everybody is different.

Hey, just reading b/c I recently started yasmin and have been having awful diarrhea and was curious as to incidence as it was something Im unfamiliar with but reading I wanted to clarify a few things that I noticed (Im a year from graduating med school and plan to pursue an ob/gyn residency.. so Im by no means an expert yet but do know the basics..) Clots are a risk with all birth control pills because of the estrogen, some people are more susceptible due to various genetic factors/smoking/age etc. (to the woman with the daughter with the stroke, my condolences by the way thats very unfortunate as although PFOs also known as a form of ASD are reasonable common but the percentage of those combined with the percentage of women who have clots make an echo (the determining test) cost prohibitive for most women (its ~$2000-3000). The difference between most pills is the estrogen concentration and the type of progesterone. Things like yasmin/yaz, Orthotricyclen/otc lo have the same progesterone but one pill has a higher dose estrogen than the other which different people tolerate differently. The progesterones also have different side effects because some are anti-androgenic (things like levlen/lo ovral) and androgens are the testosterones that help with libido. Yasmin is not listed as anti-androgenic and has less reports of decreased libido but its a risk with all ocps though I havent found any great research explaining why to date. hope that helps some. Hang in there until you find pills that work for you. All of the side effects/risks of birth control pills, clots migraines included are much less (lower risk) than those of pregnancy.

Guest wrote:

yasmin is actually listed as anti androgenic on some sites,
I read on expedia that they us anti androgens to stop sex drive for men who sex offend!!!!!

I had mild side effects that started to escalate over 3 years.
headaches on RHS of my head, put on 1 stone (have lost 2 pounds in 8 days off the pill) now on mercilon
personally i think the progesterone may dry up skin (not a pimple,) but I had bleeding gums, wierd salt taste in my mouth sometimes, tiredness,
lethargy, lack of sex drive, slight loss of scalp hair (very thick hair got alot sleeker but lost my natural mane!)
personally i think side effects creep up on you over time.
because they are so subtle you don't notice its the pill
i have needed less sleep , have not had to get up to wee in the night (which I did have to on this pill)

safest pill are the levongestral pills for history of clots but mercilon is a low oestrogen and newer progesterone, think it is lower side effects than the phase 2 pills
have to say yasmin is the only pill to cause me depression,
one pill caused me acne (but thats only because i had just got over hep A so i believe the liver has to filter hormones)

hi,

i have been on yazmin for over seven months now. I was placed on it to regulate my cycle. I never had a problem with the pill before and I'm am not entirely sure but I think Yazmin is responsible for my sudden migranes lasting ulmost two and a half weeks, nausea, diarrehea, leg cramping, mood swings and irritability, excessive tiredness. I thought I was pregnant at first due to all my symptoms even though i hadn't missed a period and I had a negative pregnancy test. I just had finished my tablet free break and I havn't restarted a new pack. I honestly think I'm losing my mind.

I thought yazmin was doing so well, my periods were regular, short and not so painful, but suddenly im in so much pain. I can hardly leave my bed, my legs hurt and my headache wont move.

Ive been on yasmin for about 5months now. And let me tell you in freakin scared now. December of last year I lost most of my hair. It was thining and balding. In Jan i was hospitalized for 10days, a PICC line for 3months for feeding. Until this day they still dont have a reason for my massive hairloss. I was thinking it was because i was enemic but after reading this probably not. Also I have lots of inflamation in my legs and they said that was from the yasmin..

sorry to hear but you should really talk to your obgyn and your boyfriend no matter how poor your body takes to an OC it cannot give you genital warts that is an STD you need to discuss with your partner

I have been on Yasmin for about half and year and never had any problems with any mood changes or depression. They only thing changed was lighter and shorter periods :-)