Hi there, I am a female who is 24 years old. I have one question for you, and it would be nice if I get a quick response. Is paranoid psychosis related to hormone levels and how? For every answer I will be extremely grateful. I am really sorry to waste your valuable time. Have a nice day.

Well one thing is related to other. For example there is thryotoxic psychosis. It is described with psychiatric disturbances which are associated with hyperthyroidism. Occasionally people who suffer from hyperthyroidism may suffer from acute psychosis. In some cases along with hyperthyroidism obsessive compulsive disorder may appear also. I hope that everything will turn out fine for you.

Hallo,
Paranoid psychosis can be mostly easily described as loss of reality. This can include extreme fear and anxiety disorders. Also you may notice some delusions when you have paranoid psychosis. You have to know that this is very serious condition where patients can have hallucinations and they can experience things that are not imaginable to normal healthy person. While in a state of paranoid psychosis, they believe that there is a credible threat and they may take steps to protect themselves. Now considering the hormones and paranoid psychosis I don’t think that anyone has explained the relations between these two factors. I think that we will have to wait for some studies in the future that can explain these facts.

I am not a doctor. So this is not medical advice.  Do not rely on it. Seek your doctor's advice.

Having said that, there is increasing evidence that hormones are related to some forms of psychosis.  This could be through too high or too low hormones, or perhaps just as likely because of a defective enzyme that is regulated by hormones - such as P5CS.  If symptoms come on/worsen around the time of your or your partner's PMT, or with fevers or sunstroke, or following heavy exercise, then this might suggest hormones may be playing a significant role in the illness.  This can be for men as well as women.

A person with psychosis should thoroughly consider if they previously suffered any mysterious illnesses, particularly as a child; or had developmental delays e.g. slow learing to walk or read; or if they have any physical symptoms, including physical symptoms that they regard as normal or constitutional e.g. underbite, bunions, winged scapula, boney abnormalities, bow legs.  Any of these might indicate a metabolic or organic disorder.  Many organic conditions can be misdiagnosed, which is sad because some organic conditions are treatable. 

Where hormones may be involved in psychosis, hormone levels could be checked, but also it may well be important to check serum and urine amino acids for abnormalities - if abnormalities show up, some good doctors might research them and make attempts to correct them.

Pyridoxine (vitamin B6) and magnesium supplements could be tried if there is no good reason not to.  They are used for PMS and research indicates they may help regulate hormonal activity in the body.  If these do not help, try a general B group supplement.  But like I said, act on doctor's advice, so a sufferer should not go off prescription medication to try this.  Tell your doctor about any symptoms that you have and before you try any supplements.

Best wishes